So every time I change strings I tend to try something new... I've had a few successes and a few failures but nothing like this... I'm playing with elixir nanowebs and man they're bright... really bright...

I've never even thought about cutting strings off before but I don't think I can take these if they're this bright... I'm going to give them a week and see if they dull but geezus.

Are the polywebs any better? I'm really looking for a much duller sounding string, I understand that alot of the sound is from the wood, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Regardless... I think that either a breedlove or a cole clark are in my very near future...
Last edited by thfc1799 at Jul 24, 2011,
I love Elixir Nanoweb's! I most often use the 12-53 ones, and the tone is just fantastic and lasts long too! But as you said, it can depend a lot on the guitar. I don't play that much with flat picks either, it could be because of that too (like that they sound great with fingerplaying that normally is pretty "dull" on steelstrings).

But I'd suggest to maybe try the Ernie Ball Earthwood strings According to a local music shop owner, they're "the best" ones. Oh, he doesn't like elixirs either. At all.
Quote by thfc1799
So every time I change strings I tend to try something new... I've had a few successes and a few failures but nothing like this... I'm playing with elixir nanowebs and man they're bright... really bright...

I've never even thought about cutting strings off before but I don't think I can take these if they're this bright... I'm going to give them a week and see if they dull but geezus.

Are the polywebs any better? I'm really looking for a much duller sounding string, I understand that alot of the sound is from the wood, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Regardless... I think that either a breedlove or a cole clark are in my very near future...

All elixirs are just really bright. That's how they are. If you want something with coating that lasts long, try the Cleartone EMP strings. Much better balanced, imo. I don't like elixirs because they're too bright and piercing, as well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
All elixirs are just really bright. That's how they are. If you want something with coating that lasts long, try the Cleartone EMP strings. Much better balanced, imo. I don't like elixirs because they're too bright and piercing, as well.

Oh dear God those strings are horrible....yeah, they last a long time, but they are so dull to my ears, they have no treble to them at all, would work good for jazz.

The Elixir Nanoweb strings are actually kinda hard to find around here, I liked them for electric, never liked Elixir strings on acoustic.

Try some D'Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze strings, they have great clarity and aren't as bright as the 80/20 Bronze strings...I like bright tone.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Oh dear God those strings are horrible....yeah, they last a long time, but they are so dull to my ears, they have no treble to them at all, would work good for jazz.

It really depends on your guitar. The Cleartones were wonderful on my Martin and I've used them more than a few times.

D'addario, on the other hand, sound terrible on my guitar, but I know that they're probably the absolute top selling strings.

Different strings get different results on different guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
It really depends on your guitar. The Cleartones were wonderful on my Martin and I've used them more than a few times.

D'addario, on the other hand, sound terrible on my guitar, but I know that they're probably the absolute top selling strings.

Different strings get different results on different guitars.

Yeah, it prolly does depend on the guitar, the D'Addarios EXP 80/20 Bronze sound beautiful on my Takamine.
Maybe the cleartones are what I'm looking for... The nanowebs are SUPER BRIGHT and EXTREMELY metallic sounding.... I really am looking for that "Jack Johnson" sound... Really warm, really round, tone... Like I said, I see a breedlove/Cole Clark in my immediate future lol.
I've been quite a bit fan of Martin Marguis 80/20 for the past couple of months. Although they are quite bright for about a day, after a few hours of playing they tend to mellow out quite a bit. I can usually get them to last about 2-3 weeks, if I keep a good eye on wiping them down after the long stints of practice. But left to their own, they tend to die off quicker.

You might even want to try a a set of DR strings. The DR Rare phosphor bronze are probably their most popular, but I like the Sunbeams quite a bit more.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature