okay UG , i've just started playing standing up and i am facing two main problems.
-when i pick notes they a litte scratchy sort of like the sound you get when do a pick slide except its mixed in the sound of the not being played.
-when i try to play solo's and fills i always end up failing even though i can play them while seated.
note: I dont play with the guitar around me knees ( low E string is just below my belly button )
so can you guys give some guidance on how to improve my playing while stood up.

thanks in advance
Will
Well, try to play with the guitar at the exact same height.

Sit down, and adjust the strap so theres no slack whatsoever, so when you stand up it will remain in the same spot. After you do that, see if you still have problems.
Where's Waldo?
when i play complicated things, i have my high E string a littlebit above my bellybutton :P
For music that doesnt require alot of technical playing, i have it way lower, about the same height you have i think. Both play just fine for me :P so try to experiment with different heights, find out what works best for you, and also just practice things standing up every once in a while
Just practice while standing up. You'll get used to it. I had the same problem.
I had exactly the same problem. I'd learned sweet child o mine to play to in a school concert to about 300 people, and I only tried it standing up the day of the thing, so I literally spent about 4 hours playing it standing up, starting the strap off being super short, then lowering it after two run throughs of the song, then lowering it again, until I was comfortable playing it at the level I wanted it. Just practice with it standing whenever you can and it'll come quickly.
im guessing when you are sitting you tend to lean over the guitar so you can see the strings and frets clearly? That caused me the same problem because when i stood up I was looking straight down on the guitar and couldnt see where to put my fingers as clearly and where to pick. Just practice, practice, practice, itll also help you with playing without looking at your guitar the whole time
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
just keep trying and you'll get the hang of it although, for most people anyway, the lower you go the harder it is to play, so try putting it at hip level or slightly above.

Young people usually think its dorky to wear it up near your cheast, older people tend to think vice versa
Make sure when your standing that your left wrist is straight when your playing stuff on the 3rd and 4th strings, if it isn't adjust the the strap to that height.

That way, you'll feel a bit more comfortable playing guitar, and you won't have to look like Alex Turner (which isn't a bad thing)
shorten your strap, i know that it looks cool and all with it hanging James-Hetfield-low, but if you plan on playing any kind of leads it should be higher, because upper frets are hard to reach when its that low

try playing in classical position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrmUFp2d1Lk

hang it at similar height of the dude thats growling (Muhammed), looks cool, yet still comfy

and what shape is your guitar? If you care abut looking cool some much some shapes might be better suited than others. For instance it seems to me that V shaped guitar look good even when you hang them high, while explorer like guitar look aesthetically bad when theyre above belly button. Superstarts are good all rounders, look moderately good anywhere
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by SheKILaDZE
just keep trying and you'll get the hang of it although, for most people anyway, the lower you go the harder it is to play, so try putting it at hip level or slightly above.

Young people usually think its dorky to wear it up near your cheast, older people tend to think vice versa

i see nothing wrong with playing up high there are plenty of people who do it, but i aspire to be a bit of a 'James Hetfield' seeing as i have the same roles as him in my band(rhythm guitar and vocals) but i think i will mess about with different strap lengths to see what suits me better.
Quote by hr113
shorten your strap, i know that it looks cool and all with it hanging James-Hetfield-low, but if you plan on playing any kind of leads it should be higher, because upper frets are hard to reach when its that low

try playing in classical position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrmUFp2d1Lk

hang it at similar height of the dude thats growling (Muhammed), looks cool, yet still comfy

and what shape is your guitar? If you care abut looking cool some much some shapes might be better suited than others. For instance it seems to me that V shaped guitar look good even when you hang them high, while explorer like guitar look aesthetically bad when theyre above belly button. Superstarts are good all rounders, look moderately good anywhere

my guitar is a super strat shape(peavey predator plus exp)
well then, good! you can hang it as high or low as you want and it will look fine!

hang it like this
cant say he looks stupid can you? and its still comfortable

just a bit lower than in classical possition
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Just angle your pick to the tilt of the guitar. With the standing up and soloing I find that I can only solo if I move into certain positions where I can easily play the notes I need to. SO just try moving yourself into a comfortable soloing position before you do the deed.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by ClickSwitch
Make sure when your standing that your left wrist is straight when your playing stuff on the 3rd and 4th strings, if it isn't adjust the the strap to that height.

I find that impossible at any height, and I already have it pretty high.

Any tips, anyone? Would be appreciated.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by 剣 斧 血
Just angle your pick to the tilt of the guitar. With the standing up and soloing I find that I can only solo if I move into certain positions where I can easily play the notes I need to. SO just try moving yourself into a comfortable soloing position before you do the deed.

I agree with this guy. You may not be angling the pick accordingly with the angle of your guitar.
I had many problems when standing up and playing before, but just like they've saying it takes practice.
Quote by 剣 斧 血

This is what I do.
I've recently tried standing up, and in the beginning songs I could ace sitting sounded like shit, just keep at it and you'll get used to it
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

When you lower the body of the guitar the angle of the neck goes a bit higher(at least in my case), for me that helps a lot in the frets hand. When I want to lean..I lean and use a bit of my leg.
Slash solo's with the guitar almost at 90º, I've seen Kirk Hammet do the same a few times.
However the pick is not with the same angle ....maybe a shorter tip ...dunno. I don't play a lot standing up..but when I play I tend to play better.