I didn't know whether to place this here, or in the Pit. But I think here would get much better results.

I've been playing bass for... oh I don't know maybe 2 years now? But since about 2 months ago I haven't been feeling like playing at all (like, practicing known songs, learning new ones, etc.). That's also the time my brother's friends started coming over pretty much daily (he's 17, they're 18+ if it makes a difference).

I don't like it when people are around me when I'm just by myself playing (my instruments and all the gaming consoles are in the same room). And I can't go to a different room to play because I live in a small house with an unfinished basement and attic.

I don't know if there's much I can do until he moves out (IF he moves out; bit of a druggy... alright maybe more than a bit...) but I want to get back into my playing.

I doubt anyone will have any ideas but hey two months is too long to not play. I've already forgotten a lot of the songs I used to play daily.

TL;DR: I don't like practicing around people and can't practice anywhere else, ideas?
Go out side and play. Buy headphones that you can use with your amp, assuming your amp has a head phone jack. Just close your eyes and forget the other people. Cut the world out and only focus on you, your bass, and the sounds you're making.

I used to have a similar problem, minus the druggy brother and shit; somehow I got past it and now I don't have a problem playing around people. I'm not sure what I did beside playing in my room with the door open more often and eventually sitting in the living room and noodling around while people were over. Now I cna play all my stuff when there's people around without a problem.
Maybe recording yourself playing, if you can, would help too. You don't have to show anyone, it would just help you get used to having something watching and hearing you play.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
I can't go outside. My garage is full of, well everything. And I have headphones that work with my amp. Got them less than a week ago. I played with them on for a bit and while it didn't sound as good as when it came out my amp directly it was still pretty good. Maybe it was the headphones, I don't know. And I can't really sit any other way than facing the people, the way my room is set up.

I have recorded myself playing a couple covers and for some reason there's no problem with that. It's just real live people.

I guess the reason I don't play around people is that a lot of them can also play bass and when they do they're pretty amazing at it. I guess it makes me feel like I won't ever be as good as them.
You've just gotta start playing. Use those people who are better than you as an inspiration. There are always gonna be people who are better. If they aren't complete tools, they'll probably offer you advice on how to get to their level.

And if you ever plan on gigging, you're gonna have to get used to playing with other people around. Just start playing. Forget the other people. Like the other guy said, just close your eyes with your headphones in and just focus on the sounds you're making.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Well I guess if two people are saying the same thing, it must be good advice. I will try that. Tomorrow. Today I Minecraft.

And I have played a couple of one-song shows for my school as part of a band. They were amazing.

And I don't talk to them; I'm 15 and he's like 20ish so it seems awkward.

But yee, tomorrow I play. No matter what.

Thanks to you both.
Good. Also, age doesn't matter. Forget awkward. If he's a good bassist, ask him for some help.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
^Exactly. Find somebody better than you? Seek advice.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Well, I usually play unplugged and walk playing bass around the house. Just ignore them, they probably don't care about your playing tbh.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by technoguyx
Well, I usually play unplugged and walk playing bass around the house. Just ignore them, they probably don't care about your playing tbh.

I like that. I won't do it, but I like it.