I'm interested in getting a Dean ML, which will be as good quality as my Jackson RR3 Rhoads (worth about £400 - £500) which has seymour duncan humbuckers in it and a floyd rose.

There are four reasons why I want an ML...because I want a guitar with 24 frets, because I want a guitar that does not have a floyd rose, because Vogg Kieltelka from Decapitated plays one and in my opinion he has the best death metal ever in the history of the world, and because I love the look of them I would prefer a model that has a fixed bridge rather than a floyd, but if it does have a floyd it doesen't matter, I will probably get it blocked. I would also like EMGS/active pickups in but if it doesent have those, does not matter too much.

So please reccomend me a decent model that will match the quality of my Jackson RR3 Rhoads...as to budget, that will be all about saving until I can afford one, maybe second hand, so just give me one thats a reasonable price
Last edited by kerkhammet at Jul 24, 2011,
I can hear the Dean haters already...run for your life.

Anyways, um, they seem to have completely changed their non-custom lineup since 2010, but the '79 Series are supposed to be okay for the price, they're $550 CDN, not sure how much that'd be in the UK($550's, like, 275 pounds, but as I understand stuff's costlier over there). I have an MLX, and I love it, I swapped the pickups for some DiMarzios, and the electronics were a little iffy and the nut was horribly cut, but I find it's a REALLY comfortable guitar to play, and the tuners/bridge are perfect.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I'd say the AT3000, I've got one and it's pretty solid. It's basically a deluxe '79 model

-Matching finish on headstock
-Carved Top (first production ML to have this)
-Abalone bound body, neck, and headstock
-Dean USA Time Capsule in the neck (fantastic pickup), Baker Act in the bridge

If you can stretch your budget a little more, you can probably get a USA Dean One Thousand ML. I'm not sure if you can get these without Floyds, but you can probably have a custom one built without it at no cost if you can get in contact with Dean through a dealer.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by kerkhammet
I'm interested in getting a Dean ML, which will be as good quality as my Jackson RR3 Rhoads
So please reccomend me a decent model that will match the quality of my Jackson RR3 Rhoads...

USA models/None

My thousand dollar dean felt cheaper than my 200 dollar ESP/LTD
I'd recommend almost any brand over Dean... but hey if you've played em, and you like em... Don't let me stop you!
As mentioned above, the Dean ML '79 is a great starting ML, swap the pickups out and you've got a very playable and great sounding guitar. No Floyd Rose though.

Keep an eye on the second hand market as they don't keep a premium like other brands.
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Hey SElling a mint condition dean 79 remake blue burst special edition with dimarzio super distortion pickup, russian sprague tone cap in elecs plus comes with case and original zebra humbucker check it out
$600 / 36? pounds starting bid ebay
Are the 79's any good for metal? After lookin them up, they seem quite a classic rock guitar (lists zz top, Heart, the cars as bands that have used it) I mean for fast shred like Decapitated, Megadeth, Pantera, Vital Remains etc...?
I would go for the AT3000 if you want metal. Zebra humbuckers are pretty meh. Granted, you could swap them out, but I'm just saying.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I would go for the AT3000 if you want metal. Zebra humbuckers are pretty meh. Granted, you could swap them out, but I'm just saying.

Zebra HB's are the same as any other HB's there color makes no diff in the sound, it is how they are wound. You sir are obviously talking out of your ass, or have very limited knowledge of guitar P/U's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate