I'm flying from Detroit to Los Angeles this Tuesday (with a short flight stop in Las Vegas) and I'll be there for 2 weeks. I really wanted to bring my guitar with me because 2 weeks without it is a pretty long time :/.
But I checked the airline website (Spirit) and their overhead bins are only 22" long, while my guitar case is about 40" long. I was wondering what I should do, check it as luggage, or something else? Or would it be best if I left the guitar at home? It's a nice one (LTD EC 1000) and I really do not want it to get damaged.

If anyone has experience with flying with electric guitars, I'd like your advice. Thanks
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Hide it under your shirt..duh...

OT: Maybe check it as luggage?

I have never flown before, so I really don't know.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
If you dont absolutely need it then dont take it. If you have a cheaper guitar, take that.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
If you love your guitar that much I don't see the point in risking it getting damaged. So you miss out on it for 2 weeks, but you know you'll get it back as you love it when you return to Detroit. And you'll probably even appreciate it a little bit more because you went without it for 2 weeks. Also it could always get lost or whatever in the adventure of airports..
leave it and buy a new one at your destination city and then ship it UPS or Fedex back to your home after your trip is done. i dont trust airlines with fragile or expensive stuff.
Ah alright, thanks guys.
Some people I know said that they've boarded the plane with their guitars and asked the flights attendants to put it in the garment closet (?) but I'm not sure if they'll let me do that, and I don't want to risk putting it in the cargo hold. So I'll keep it at home!
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

Last time I flew with mine they let me keep it in the seat next to me.
ಠ_ಠ
I'd leave it at home.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Quote by jmonko
Last time I flew with mine they let me keep it in the seat next to me.

I Forgot to mention, the flight is completely booked. And I can't afford to pay for another seat anyway.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

I would leave it. Two weeks of not being able to play isn't going to kill you.

If you do bring it, make sure you get a hard shell case, and check it as luggage. No other way.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
i fly with my sg all the time. i just bring it to the gate then if it doesn't fit in the overhead bin i just gate check it. or ask about putting it in the closet on the plane
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by mcjosh
Ah alright, thanks guys.
Some people I know said that they've boarded the plane with their guitars and asked the flights attendants to put it in the garment closet

That's exactly what I do and I've done it various times without a problem.
Quote by vanhailin
i fly with my sg all the time. i just bring it to the gate then if it doesn't fit in the overhead bin i just gate check it. or ask about putting it in the closet on the plane

Doesn't that mean it goes into the cargo hold? I do have a hard case for mine, but if it gets tossed around a lot, or if a big suitcase falls on it, I think it might still get damaged. :/
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

Quote by Masamune
That's exactly what I do and I've done it various times without a problem.

Well I do know that my seat is in the way back of the plane, so I'll be one of the first to board. Would there be enough space for a hard Les Paul case to fit inside?
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

Gate check it. Hand carry it through security and at your gate they will put a tag on it and load it onto the plane. You will get it back at your destination gate, not baggage claim. I've done it several times with no damage.
I flew KLM, and the short hop they let me bring it along with me on board, then the long haul they put it in a closet somewhere. You should be alright, but you know, up to you.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by CavemanJB
Gate check it. Hand carry it through security and at your gate they will put a tag on it and load it onto the plane. You will get it back at your destination gate, not baggage claim. I've done it several times with no damage.

The flight stops at Las Vegas to pick up more passengers, but I won't be getting off there. Would that make any difference?

This garment closet idea sounds good though. Does anyone else have experience with that? And what do I do, just ask the attendant to put it in the closet for me?
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by mcjosh
Well I do know that my seat is in the way back of the plane, so I'll be one of the first to board. Would there be enough space for a hard Les Paul case to fit inside?

Probably, I've never seen the compartment that they put it in, they always just take the guitar off my hands and go put it away. I'm sure the attendants will find a place for it.
You are shit on it anyway, therefore it is not necessary to embarrass yourself on your holidays. Leave it at home.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Three years ago I went to Italy, bought an electroacoustic from a local luthier there and a case for it and I was able to take it on the plane with me and put it in the overhead compartment. But it does depend on the plane, really.
I don't have a signature
No, but I remember summer '08 when I went to Italy with my patriarch. We brought our classical guitar and we arrived with it in two pieces, because apparently the guitar-shaped case wasn't obvious enough to the airport employees handling the luggage.

About a year ago my father finally got around to gluing (epoxying?) the headstock back in place, and it's nearly good as new.

My suggestion: don't bring it, unless you REALLY want to risk it. You should get one of those Shred Necks (I think that's what they're called). It's practically a guitar neck with a span of seven or so frets which allows you to practice fingering, and is made specifically for travel.

But, if you want to take the risk, at least bring it in a hardcase.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Jul 24, 2011,
Cheap strat knockoffs (or any bolt-on) are convenient for travelling. In the past, I would unbolt the neck and pack the instrument in my checked bag.
Last edited by Dodeka at Jul 24, 2011,
if you do bring it loosen the strings all the way(don't think anyone said this yet)

you could also just rent a guitar when you're there

i wouldn't be able to go 2 weeks without a guitar
Quote by Don_Humpador
but you know you'll get it back as you love it when you return to Detroit.

this would be good advice if his house wasn't in Detroit. he's gonna be gone two weeks, he'll be lucky if thieves leave a couple of bricks or floorboards behind.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I've had it with these mother shredding guitars on these mother shredding planes!
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
I was forced to check mine in to the oversized luggage area from Hong Kong to Canada. However, if you have them mark the case as fragile (and perhaps wrap it too if you are worried), it should be fine. Mine (with only a "fragile" sticker attached to it) came out of the oversized luggage area with no problems.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
I would Take it, just check it in as luggage and put like 600 fragile stickers on it, maybe wrap the actual guitar in bubble wrap, and the case will be fine.
Life Story.
Kicked ass at Guitar Hero.
Decided To learn Guitar coz I felt like a pro.
Kicked ass at guitar. Learnt Bass.
Now Guitar Hero looks so F***in Gay.
HAHA HA
Quote by That_Hot_Guy
I've had it with these mother shredding guitars on these mother shredding planes!

This.

Don't bring or, or bring a shit one. Trust me airport luggage handlers would lover nothing more then to break in two any thing of any remote importance to you. Or they might jack it, mislabeling it as lost luggage. If you're lucky they'll ransom it back to you for at least 4 times what you bought it for, and it will most likely STILL be broken.

DON'T BRING IT!!!
Quote by kotorfreak666
This.

Don't bring or, or bring a shit one. Trust me airport luggage handlers would lover nothing more then to break in two any thing of any remote importance to you. Or they might jack it, mislabeling it as lost luggage. If you're lucky they'll ransom it back to you for at least 4 times what you bought it for, and it will most likely STILL be broken.

DON'T BRING IT!!!

I think some of them see "fragile" as meaning "kick me!"
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
I took mine with me last year when I flew Detroit to Amsterdam, and then Amsterdam to Glasgow and then all the way back. I took mine as my carry on since my mom and sister were with me so I wouldn't need to carry anything anyway. They just put it in a coat closet thing, although mine was in one of those soft gig bag things and not a hard case, so I feel that would be easier to carry around and such.

Seriously though, it's only 2 weeks and it was a pain in the ass to do, it's not worth it. Check out the used area in guitar center when you get there. or buy yourself a nice new guitar if you have the money and want one, i mean cmon it's LA, there'll be no shortage of music shops
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]