i'm looking to learn as much guitar theory as possible before my face is drilled to books this september when i go to college.

i was wondering, what's a good website to learn theory? i'm looking for good ways to learn scales (the only one i know--and i've pretty much mastered it now--is the minor pentatonic), different chords and the fundamentals like explanations for things like what a major 5th is, chord progressions and the circle of 5ths.

also, please can you tell me how you learned theory? school, teacher, internet, or hendrix style?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Theory is theory. there's no guitar theory, oboe theory, Tenor Horn theory etc...

The only site I'd recommend is Musictheory.net.

For books - The AB guide to music theory part I - Eric Taylor

I'm not sure what the 'hendrix style' of learning theory is... I learnt from the Ab guide used in accordance with the grade 1-8 ABRSM theory workbooks, studying music in college + university and asking teachers between classes on anything I had problems with.
Quote by griffRG7321
Theory is theory. there's no guitar theory, oboe theory, Tenor Horn theory etc...

I'm not sure what the 'hendrix style' of learning theory is... I learnt from the Ab guide used in accordance with the grade 1-8 ABRSM theory workbooks, studying music in college + university and asking teachers between classes on anything I had problems with.

yeah, musictheory.net is awesome, thanks to those who mentioned
Quote by griffRG7321

Hendrix style is on your own
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by SumFX
I mostly learnt from the interwebs, i did have a teacher but he didn't teach theory in a way i could personally learn from.

Musictheory. net is the obvious website to go for but if you wanted to check out a couple others then:

http://lessons.mikedodge.com/

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=crusade&search_type=columns

i think i'll go through all the crusade's documents. thankyou
Quote by Flibo

so far, this josh chap is perfect for me. if he's cool with it, i'd totally have sex with his articles. shit's good. i'm already into his intervals.

if you know what i mean.
Quote by laid-to-waste
i'm looking to learn as much guitar theory as possible before my face is drilled to books this september when i go to college.

i was wondering, what's a good website to learn theory? i'm looking for good ways to learn scales (the only one i know--and i've pretty much mastered it now--is the minor pentatonic), different chords and the fundamentals like explanations for things like what a major 5th is, chord progressions and the circle of 5ths.

also, please can you tell me how you learned theory? school, teacher, internet, or hendrix style?

doug marks metal method dvd on theory will lay you a good foundation. get the new one and old one on theory. highly recommended.
justinguitar.com teaches you some stuff too. Justin Sandercoe is probably the best teacher on youtube.
The Creative Guitar Studio link in my sig has some good theory lessons in there.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
*Can't resist temptation!*
It's music theory not guitar theory.
A G major chord in C major functions exactly the same on piano than on guitar.
God damnit I said it!
Quote by laid-to-waste
so far, this josh chap is perfect for me. if he's cool with it, i'd totally have sex with his articles. shit's good. i'm already into his intervals.

if you know what i mean.

Awesome man, looks like you're sorted then! Have fun and remember to apply what you've been learning so that you internalize it better. You can only get so far just reading it (I experience this with our students all the time!) It's one thing to say "Yeah I get it" It's another thing when their assignment is:

"Demonstrate all the 9th Arpeggios in the key of Bb and send a recording of your playing over this backing track."

Reading won't make you able to "understand theory" in a useful form any more than going to Burger King makes you a hamburger!

Good luck to you, and above all have fun.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Awesome man, looks like you're sorted then! Have fun and remember to apply what you've been learning so that you internalize it better. You can only get so far just reading it (I experience this with our students all the time!) It's one thing to say "Yeah I get it" It's another thing when their assignment is:

"Demonstrate all the 9th Arpeggios in the key of Bb and send a recording of your playing over this backing track."

Reading won't make you able to "understand theory" in a useful form any more than going to Burger King makes you a hamburger!

Good luck to you, and above all have fun.

Best,

Sean

yeah, i'm holding a guitar in one hand and a six pack of red bull in the other while reading them, but this has really helped me, so thankyou for telling me