alright UG'ers

i've got a memory boy at the minute and it's nice yes - for one sound
i'll get to the point..

the dl4 has several built in modes and banks etc..

the question is - do they do what they say they do.. as in the DMM mode, does that sound spot on?

or is it like those multi fx boards what don't really cut it?

anyone have experience? or if not any real alternatives ?
The DL4 is not going to sound exactly like a Memory Man. It is going to sound more digital to those who know the difference. The average person won't know or care, though. But it is passable. That's why a lot of people use both types of delay on their boards. And the DL4 has a better modeler for an analog delay than most multi-fx boards would.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I know this is a point of great debate amongst people, given the DL-4's huge popularity, but I'm not a fan. I have heard plenty of DL-4 backlash, to be fair. I used to have one and sold it recently on Ebay. I used it mainly for looping/sampling (which it's great for), but the actual delay models didn't really cut it for me. Certain models sound very plasticy, especially the tape mode. The modulation is also pretty bad. The analog mode is alright, but it still doesn't come close to a DMM or other analog delay pedal. Additionally, the pedal causes a large volume drop, and sucks tone while on and in bypass. Now I'm using a Hardwire DL-8, which is way smaller (always nice to save pedalboard space) and has some pretty great delay models. The delay models are very crisp, and the pedal is virtually noiseless. I especially love the tape and analog delays. Really good for a digital pedal. Plus, they're relatively cheap. You can find them new for around $150, and I found a used one on Ebay for $100.

The best fake DMM i've heard is the Subdecay Echobox. The modulation on top of the delay is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_za4fnpKA# It's also much cheaper than the DMM. However, it doesn't really do anything other than that style of delay. If you're looking for multiple delay models and options, I'd recommend the Hardwire DL-8, or if you are willing to shell out more money, the Empress Superdelay. I've tried the Superdelay a few times, and it has some of the best delay models I've heard (especially the tape mode). You can find them used for $300-350. Once again, a lot of people love the DL-4, and it's used widespread throughout the industry. However, I think that has more to do with market saturation, being around the longest, and being relatively cheap considering all the options the pedal has. Plus, a lot artists use it primarily for the looper/sampler, rather than the delay models. I know The Mars Volta, Minus the Bear (who have six of these onstage!), and a lot of other bands use it for live looping. I used it mainly for recording and playing around the house, as well as some house gigs and small cafe shows. As a result, I'm pickier about tone, playing at lower levels. The DL-4 definitely sounds better than multi-effects units, but there are still better options available at that price point, if you want a pedal with the best sound. Hope this helps!
Last edited by autumnsweater2 at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by autumnsweater2
I know this is a point of great debate amongst people, given the DL-4's huge popularity, but I'm not a fan. I have heard plenty of DL-4 backlash, to be fair. I used to have one and sold it recently on Ebay. I used it mainly for looping/sampling (which it's great for), but the actual delay models didn't really cut it for me. Certain models sound very plasticy, especially the tape mode. The modulation is also pretty bad. The analog mode is alright, but it still doesn't come close to a DMM or other analog delay pedal. Additionally, the pedal causes a large volume drop, and sucks tone while on and in bypass. Now I'm using a Hardwire DL-8, which is way smaller (always nice to save pedalboard space) and has some pretty great delay models. The delay models are very crisp, and the pedal is virtually noiseless. I especially love the tape and analog delays. Really good for a digital pedal. Plus, they're relatively cheap. You can find them new for around $150, and I found a used one on Ebay for $100.

The best fake DMM i've heard is the Subdecay Echobox. The modulation on top of the delay is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_za4fnpKA# It's also much cheaper than the DMM. However, it doesn't really do anything other than that style of delay. If you're looking for multiple delay models and options, I'd recommend the Hardwire DL-8, or if you are willing to shell out more money, the Empress Superdelay. I've tried the Superdelay a few times, and it has some of the best delay models I've heard (especially the tape mode). You can find them used for $300-350. Once again, a lot of people love the DL-4, and it's used widespread throughout the industry. However, I think that has more to do with market saturation, being around the longest, and being relatively cheap considering all the options the pedal has. Plus, a lot artists use it primarily for the looper/sampler, rather than the delay models. I know The Mars Volta, Minus the Bear (who have six of these onstage!), and a lot of other bands use it for live looping. I used it mainly for recording and playing around the house, as well as some house gigs and small cafe shows. As a result, I'm pickier about tone, playing at lower levels. The DL-4 definitely sounds better than multi-effects units, but there are still better options available at that price point, if you want a pedal with the best sound. Hope this helps!

thanks for that!
i can see it being a case of having lots of settings etc and not really being completely satisfied with any of them?

so with selling my memory boy and other pedals im looking at having around £120 for a delay pedal..
i like analog alot - but i'd like some more options...

any suggestions?
Yeah, I feel like it's a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation. For that price range, I'd also recommend the TC Electronic Flashback Delay. It has a ton of options and settings, while still maintaining good quality sound on each. I've heard great things about it, and might even trade/sell my DL-8 for one.
i looked up that subdecay pedal.. none in the UK..

any others? i've watched some pro guitar shop demos but it seems they just aren't available in the UK?
The DL4 is great if you need preset delays in a box. If you only really need one type of delay and don't need looping, get something else.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
are there any good demos of the dl4.. on the web

good as in you hear the settings properly (mic'd up) not just on somebodies camera..
Funtionality - Great
Sound Quality - Not so Great!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

The DL-4 and M9 have the best looper I've yet been able to find.

However, Line 6 delays sound thin to me. I'm not a fan at all. For digital delays, I prefer Boss. I currently own an M9 (which has the same delays as the DL-4, I believe) and a Memory Boy. I never touch the delays on the M9. The Memory Boy has a such a thick, warm, ambient sound to it. Also, oscillation imiations on the Line 6 delays are laughable.

If you want a very versatile delay, I suggest the Boss DD-20. The tone is much warmer and the delays aren't so digital sounding. it has a decent analog simulation, a looper, and can store up to 4 settings.
Quote by autumnsweater2
Yeah, I feel like it's a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.

+1, fwiw I really like mine, it's very versatile but not exactly mind blowing when it comes to sound quality. However for the range of tones you can get and all the features it has (looper, 2 channels, built in tap tempo switch), it's great for the price.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
it's great for the price.

I disagree with this. The DD-20 is (I think) approximately the same price, has plenty of features, and still sounds great.
Quote by toyboxmonster
I disagree with this. The DD-20 is (I think) approximately the same price, has plenty of features, and still sounds great.

I've never played a DD-20 so I can't comment. I think TS needs to go to GC, try both out, then look on CL for one, both the DL-4 and DD-20 can be had for pretty cheap on the used market.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I have a DL-4 and I used it into a Deluxe Memory Boy in the studio before. I guess for instant access and the looping feature its great. Sure, you won't get THAT tape tone out of it, but as a good all-rounder delay pedal, it does its job.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
I like it and I don't. Not enough presets...You can get so many different delays, reverses, insane noises, and only 3 presets. And with the 4 dials to get these tones, if you erase a preset, it's gonna be hard to get the same tone back. I also agree that it's a bit thin sounding. But I don't see selling it, as it can create some wild things you can't with other delays and the loop is great for creating solos etc
Love it aside from the volume drop and tone change. But those are massive issues, and that's why I'm only running a DD-6 right now.. sucks, because I really love the versatility and atmospheric stuff I can get from it.

I need to get it modded so I can put it back in my rig.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
im in the UK..

i've looked at a dd20 but im not sure what they were like?

in terms of analog delays... are there any 'boutique' ones in the UK what would give me that extra functionality and useable tones?
i love the memory boy for the 1 sound.. not a fan of the modulatuon/delay - on demo's it sounded great but mine doesn't really sound useable
if you like the sound of your delay, just get a nice digital delay to go with it and use both. the dd20 is a great delay with cool features. a line 6 m5 might be worth checking out as it has every delay from the m series. the tc flashback delay is supposedly really good. andy from pgs has a video on youtube of him dialing in an echoplex tone and it sounds very sweet to my ears.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ok so if i'm keeping my memory boy.. what digi delays are there in the UK used market what are worth having, budget will have to be around 50-60 english pounds..?
I'd suggest saving up a bit, but if you're set on that price range, you could probably find a used DD-6 or something like that.

The Digidelay is dirt cheap, too. I've never tried it, but I'm usually very fond of Digitech's delays. It's also probably the only pedal in that price range that'll loop.