I was putting a song together and played this arrangement accidentally but it sounded amazing coming right after a Fmaj7. Does anyone know the name of this chord?
Well technically it's an interval.. the A on the G-string would be the minor 7th of the B on the A-string.
Kinda gives you a lydian sound to it.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Awesome, thanks. I wasnt sure what it was, I just know that it sounded right for what I was trying to put together and I didnt know what to write it down as (I'm kind of new to songwriting).
Quote by theknuckster
... or an E7sus4

Hm...I guess that's probably what he was playing... I didn't really think about whether the rest of the strings were played or not, since he never mentioned anything else
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
E7sus4 huh? How long does it take before you know things like that? lol. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now. Strictly acoustic for the past 2 years or so.
Do you mean just two notes? A and G? Depending on the context, the diad would imply either an Am7 chord, an A7 chord, or a Gsus2. Aside from the root, the third is always going to be the most important note in a chord because it determines its tonality. Likewise, a (perfect) fifth can almost always be omitted (there are chords that have too many notes to play on guitar, so players quite commonly omit the fifth).

You should get in the habit of writing out notes and figuring out which chords they belong to in situations like this. It's actually pretty simple. You need to stack the notes alphabetically and then from there you can determine the structure of the chord, or you can invert it if need be to get a different chord (like how I mentioned it could imply 2 diff or more chords).
Last edited by Dumpster510 at Jul 24, 2011,
I see ... yeah I'm just playing the 3 strings together, no others. So I'm not sure what that would equate to.
Quote by Brass217
I see ... yeah I'm just playing the 3 strings together, no others. So I'm not sure what that would equate to.

Which 3?
If ADG then you'll be playing an Bm7 without the 5th.

edit...not Am7, Bm7
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass