I've always had the want to be in a power trio, and I attempted to do so with two friends of mine. The thing was, that the bassist (one of my best friends), can't play worth a damn. He's one of my best friends,but it's so frustrating to play with him. I already have another bassist lined up that definitely has the bass skills for a power trio (in the tradition of Cream), and the new guy is also one of my best friends (he's also good friends with the original bassist), but how do I tell the old bassist? He's more than half serious about the band, is he gonna take it that hard? I've never been kicked out of a band, is it harsh?
how bout instead of kicking him out, helping him improve. if you don't tell him what you want and how you feel you're the one who's the d*ck if you just oust him from the band.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Read Some "Ask Van Hammersmith" there are plenty of questions like yours...

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

You can't make it to the top without stepping on a few toes unfortunately. Think about how Scott Rayner felt when he left Blink and Travis Barker stepped, or that one guy that was the original drummer of the Beatles. They've all come to accept it, no matter how dissapointed they were. It won't be easy for either of you but you just have to say that his bass playing isn't up to where the band is right now and that things need to change.
Quote by TheSmashing
You can't make it to the top without stepping on a few toes unfortunately. Think about how Scott Rayner felt when he left Blink and Travis Barker stepped, or that one guy that was the original drummer of the Beatles. They've all come to accept it, no matter how dissapointed they were. It won't be easy for either of you but you just have to say that his bass playing isn't up to where the band is right now and that things need to change.

Yea but playing someone else's generations music isn't necessarily a "spot to the top" heres what you do. You still jam with the not so skilled bassist occasionally just for fun and you start a new band with the dude who is really good, if your other friend asks say your trying to broaden your musical horizons or etc.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Idk, that's really "beat around the bushy" if you ask me, it's better to be up front than keep a secret and then make it look like you're innocent in the end.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Yea but playing someone else's generations music isn't necessarily a "spot to the top" heres what you do. You still jam with the not so skilled bassist occasionally just for fun and you start a new band with the dude who is really good, if your other friend asks say your trying to broaden your musical horizons or etc.

I don't think his friend is stupid enough to fall for that one. He'd think, "Wow, it's those same two guys, the only difference is me. I'm not there. They fired me but didn't have the cajones or decency to tell me straight up. I knew I wasn't very good, and (if I'm a reasonable human being) I would have understood, but nooooo. Those guys are assholes and we should never talk again."

It's expedient for you in the short term, but it would cause more problems than it solved.
Quote by StrangeStrayCat
how do I tell the old bassist? He's more than half serious about the band, is he gonna take it that hard? I've never been kicked out of a band, is it harsh?

The best advice I can give is just to be honest. Talk to him face to face, and just lay it out. You really appreciate how keen he is, but you guys need someone who's a bit more experienced on the bass. Tell him you still really enjoy jamming with him and will continue to do so in the future.

As for getting kicked out of a band, it can be harsh. This can occur either if the person is fine at playing their instrument, but has racked up a long string of bad events that nobody can play with them anymore, or in your case, you created the situation yourself by just accepting the first person who came along.

In the future have auditions dude. You've made this situation 10x worse because YOU got his hopes up by accepting him into the band in the first place. If a bassist couldn't play I wouldn't (and haven't) let them into my bands, no matter how nice a guy they are.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud