Hello everybuddy !!

i just wanna ask you if i could apply legato runs in a metal solo ????
And ! show me techniques i gotta play to be a nice metal guitar solos player =D ( show me techniques from easier to harder ^^ )
Hey ; )
Just a question: Why shouldn't you apply legato in a metal solo? There are several metal artists which use legato in their solos.
The most common techniques in metal solos are:
Alternate picking, economy picking, sweep picking, tapping, string skipping. yeah. Basically all this crazy stuff ; )
Most metal solos you encounter are going to involve legato techniques of some variety or another. There really is no genre boundary for technique. You'll even see finger picking and chicken picking in metal from time to time.
I dunno about fastest. He's got pretty good technique, but there are much better legato players than anyone in Iron Maiden.
Quote by Geldin
I dunno about fastest. He's got pretty good technique, but there are much better legato players than anyone in Iron Maiden.

Cough *Joe Satriani* Cough
Where's Waldo?
He's not really metal, per se. I was definitely thinking more like Per Nilsson, Dean Herrera, and AJ Minette.
Quote by Geldin
He's not really metal, per se. I was definitely thinking more like Per Nilsson, Dean Herrera, and AJ Minette.

Hes far from metal, You said something like "there are far better legato players than anyone in Iron Maiden", and Satch is one of them.
Where's Waldo?
So I did. Pretty sad that I can't remember what I said just a couple hours ago when it's sitting right in front of me. Caught in a trap of my own making.

Satch is a pretty fantastic guitarist. Not my flavor, but definitely a great musician and a great showman.
Quote by Geldin
So I did. Pretty sad that I can't remember what I said just a couple hours ago when it's sitting right in front of me. Caught in a trap of my own making.

Satch is a pretty fantastic guitarist. Not my flavor, but definitely a great musician and a great showman.

Happens

Satch is my favorite though, he's just too good, but to each is own, I guess.
Where's Waldo?
dimebag and synyster gates have some difficult legato runs just ot name a few off the top of my head

EDIT: oh yeah i forgot about kirk hammet, pretty much all his fast runs are composed mostly of legato and wah but im sure you knew about metallica already
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
@!Mike!

I don't think Synyster uses legato runs often. He picks is runs mostly. As far as I know..

I am afraid to throw in Herman Li... though most of you say he sucks, he got some pretty impressive full legato tapped arpeggios in his solos.
Quote by Geldin

I agree he's not the fastest, but for tasteful use of legato I think Dave Murray is as good as anyone - a really under-rated player IMO.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Michael Paget does a lot of legato.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Great metal legato players that come to mind are.

Dimebag (Pantera)
Michael Romeo (Symphony X)

Great Legato guys! Make sure to check em out!
The guitarists in Iron Maiden are so underrated. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith have created some of the most memorably phrased guitar leads in history, they deserve your respect, if not your worship

Dave Murray is plenty fast.
Quote by afrika18
The guitarists in Iron Maiden are so underrated. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith have created some of the most memorably phrased guitar leads in history, they deserve your respect, if not your worship

Yes. This is a tasty solo by Murray: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLv2G0Hhn4#t=02m28s
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
For their music and style, you don't. For other musicians whose compositions require faster legato runs, there is plenty of good reason to do it.
Quote by BSPDelta09
@!Mike!

I don't think Synyster uses legato runs often. He picks is runs mostly. As far as I know..

I am afraid to throw in Herman Li... though most of you say he sucks, he got some pretty impressive full legato tapped arpeggios in his solos.

yeah which why I said some, he doesn't use em much but to name some little legato runs dancing dead comes to mind, afterlife (for like 2 seconds), the second victim solo, brompton cocktail and yeah theres prolly more but other then that all picking.

These solos were hard enough to get my legato runs above average i'd say (im no petrucci) so I think they're good for anyone to learn if theyre into metal
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Quote by !Mike!
yeah which why I said some, he doesn't use em much but to name some little legato runs dancing dead comes to mind, afterlife (for like 2 seconds), the second victim solo, brompton cocktail and yeah theres prolly more but other then that all picking.

These solos were hard enough to get my legato runs above average i'd say (im no petrucci) so I think they're good for anyone to learn if theyre into metal

Victim is a bad example, there are only like 3 hammer-ons/pull-offs in that whole solo. I wouldn't class that as a run.
Quote by LittleRockJams
If you want to see what legato can really do when paired with tapping, REALLY start listening to Symphony X, Michael Romeo will blow your pancreas out of your face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT-aERl5rwY

Skip to about 40 seconds for the Legato.

http://blog.littlerockjams.com

And that is definitely not from the hardest end of Michael Romeo's legato playing.

This is closer to that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYt6Vdt_SxE#t=02m06s

Not a single pick stroke

EDIT: P.S. There's a decent tab of it here at UG.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by afrika18

Agreed.
Dave Murray solos are excellent for practising legato. He uses legato in almost all his solos.

Also, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith FTW!!