Hi!
I play mostly Metal but I also like Blues and Jazz.

I'm getting a new amp but I have a problem...
Should I get a good clean channel amp for my bluesy jazzy moments or one with a heavy distortion which would be what I use the most?

The Fender Twin has the most amazing sound I've ever heard, however it doesn't like to kicked with a brutal distortion pedal...

So my question is this:

Heaven clean (with pedal for not so good distortion) or Hell Distortion (sacrificing my loved clean sound)?

Distortion is essential but how should I get it amp or pedal?

I'd also appreciate suggestion for any of the cases!

Thanks!
Why not split the difference and get an amp that can do great cleans and a brutal distortion?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I'd say if you mostly play metal go for that... It's tough to get a good metal sound out of strictly pedals IMO. Also it sounds like if you ever play in a band (or if you already do) it will most likely be metal. Sacrificing your tone when alone at home for a great live sound is pretty easy.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
hmmmmm...
My budget is 1400€ TOPS for head and cab and I don't think that's enough for a any Mark...
The market for used gear is big. Cheap amps come to those with patience.

I'm assuming you're in Europe? Might look into something like a used H&K TriAmp or Engl Savage (SE) then. You can get them between 1k and 1.5k (closer to 1.5 though, which leaves little room for a cab I guess...).

Heck, even an H&K Trilogy or Engl Blackmore or Raider might do it, and those can be found between 700€ and 800€.

Also maybe an Orange Rockerverb. Sounds different than the above amps, but might be suitable.

EDIT: Look into an Engl Sovereign, it's basically a Savage in combo-form. They can be found for as cheap as the Savage, or even cheaper sometimes. It's a monster though, 2x12" configuration and weighs more than 40kg (I think there was also a 1x12" version, but I'm not sure).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 24, 2011,
If you play metal most of the times, I'd go for that. Easing up on the distortion and playing with the knobs on your guitar can get you far anyway.
I do the great clean with a good distortion (as i'm in your same place) .... Laney lion heart + MXR Dist III. But thats me... check the Hayden peacemaker its a great amp with a very cool sweet clean channel and a kick ass distorted one
I wouldn't settle for one or the other. Plenty of good amps out there with great cleans, and awesome distortion.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
I wouldn't settle for one or the other. Plenty of good amps out there with great cleans, and awesome distortion.

Like...
Great for high-gain, passable for everything else. Version II is supposedly better on all fronts, though I have not tried it yet and so can't tell you much about it.

I gave you a list of amps earlier, have you looked at it?
Yes, I have.
I like the Savage (!), quite good cleans and good distortion.
Didn't like neither Blackmore's nor Raider's cleans (however Blackmore>Raider).
Tried a bunch of Oranges some time ago and didn't like any of them so those are out.
LOVED Hughes and Kettner Trilogy.
And that's were I'm at...
The thing is Triamp is like 3000€ and something!
The triology is "cheaper" but still too expensive (new) and there is none used in the area

PS: didn't like the sovereign...
Fender Supersonic?
ENGL Fireball?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Vinson

Quote by amiguels
Like...

Bugera 333xl/Peavy JSX
Mesa Mk IV, V
possibly the new Randall RT series as well as their modular amps (and Egnators modular amps)
Genz Benz El Diablo
Carvin V3
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
Bugera 333xl/Peavy JSX
Mesa Mk IV, V
possibly the new Randall RT series as well as their modular amps (and Egnators modular amps)
Genz Benz El Diablo
Carvin V3

I think the V3 is out of the question since he doesn't live in the states.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

what about the Framus Dragon?

there is one on national ( dutch ) ebay now for 680€, if you bid 900, you will win i think
i hope you live in holland, lol
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Jul 25, 2011,
I'm going for the H&K Trilogy (found a store that is selling it for 1130&euro, and now I'm looking for a cab to go with it.

I still have 420€ left, so which cab sounds the best with this amp. I don't think I need a 4x12, maybe a 2x12?
Quote by amiguels
hmmmmm...
My budget is 1400€ TOPS for head and cab and I don't think that's enough for a any Mark...

They make them in combos too
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Originally Posted by amiguels
hmmmmm...

To the 1400€ I forgot to add the 150€ I'll get for my current amp.
No combos this time, looking for a cab and head
Quote by amiguels
To the 1400€ I forgot to add the 150€ I'll get for my current amp.
No combos this time, looking for a cab and head

How much is 1550 converted?
In the us I could easily get a used mark iv and decent cab for $1400.
Idk how similar used prices are though either.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
The amp must be new, but not the cab.
420€ = $600 for a cab used or not.
The website I use for used gear is this: www.olx.pt
Quote by amiguels
The amp must be new, but not the cab.
420€ = $600 for a cab used or not.
The website I use for used gear is this: www.olx.pt

Why does it have to be new??
If this is the case buy an amp for metal now then start saving for your clean amp.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
If this is the case buy an amp for metal now then start saving for your clean amp.

The trilogy handles both!
Quote by amiguels
Hi!
I play mostly Metal but I also like Blues and Jazz.

The Fender Twin has the most amazing sound I've ever heard, however it doesn't like to kicked with a brutal distortion pedal...

I thought fender twins handle distortions pretty well??
Get a triple wreck or something quality and your set.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I'm set with the Trilogy, for real
Just the cab left, I know certain amps like certain cabs better and I was hoping you could help me in that area...
He probably hasn't read the thread and therefore recommended a 5150 head.

As far as the cab goes, see what you can find for a good price. Yeah, a 2x12" with good speakers should be sufficient for most situations. Most good cabs come stock with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, not because it's necessarily the best speaker there is, but rather because it handles a lot of genres pretty well.
Look around for a used Orange or Engl cab, also Framus on the cheap or one of the higher-end Marshalls. If you run into a custom cab (like from Zilla or TubeTown), those are worth it, too.
The used cabs in the area are:

Orange Celestion Vintage 30 4x12" Made in England UK
English made, not made in China like the ones build nowadays.
http://www.orangeamps.com/ppc-412-speaker-cab/
Price: Sells to the best offer --'

ENGL 4 x 12" Standard Slanted
Price: 450€ ~ $650 negotiable

ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Slanted E212VH
Price: 390€ ~ $570
All Orange cabs are made in England, except for the 2x12" with open back (closed-back model's made in England though) and the 1x12".

If you can get this it'd be fantastic, but I doubt it'd be within your budget. They are expensive new and hold their value pretty well. But try.

The Engl 412 is decent, but 450€ is a bit much for a used Standard one and I'd rather have a Pro-series one than a Standard (different speakers). Personally, I wouldn't bother with this. Better get a good 212 than a so-so 412.

Engl 212: Very nice cab, price is okay, but not great. Try to push the price to around 350€, but even if the he does not want to lower the price, I'd go for it.
The trick to getting people to lower their prices is to tell them you'll give them the money right now and that you'll pay cash. He won't be able to help himself if you wave around 350€ right under his nose.