I played one today and it played and Sounded nice! So whats all the fuss about them?!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

What fuss?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
a lot of people think they are really overrated and overpriced, that for the price of one of those you can buy a far better guitar, I have not too much experience on playing those guitars to say something about them.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
I dunno, i just see a lot of hate for Les paul studios. Was just wondering what everyone had against them?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Quote by TheQuailman

Maybe this?

Huh???
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I've just heard they have bad quality control, like most mid-range guitars. Some are great, some are terrible. All hearsay, though, I haven't confirmed that myself.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by TheQuailman

Maybe this?

Pretty sure that's 'fuzz'.....
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

go and play some studios and you'll be able to make up your own mind whether you think there's anything bad about them or not.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The hate is from Gibson snobs who have huge superiority complexes after spending gobs of money on a standard, traditional or custom. Since they've spent tons of money on an overpriced over hyped guitar, they convince themselves that those guitars are much better than they really are. They'll tell you that the woods and bindings and quality control on these guitars make them much more superior to studios. In short, they are sheep to a giant propaganda machine.

I've owned two standards and a custom. I've never understood what the hell Gibson snobs are talking about. They're good guitars, but they're not the be all end all, especially the newer ones. Most studios I've played have been good guitars.
Last edited by stoic at Jul 24, 2011,
As I'm a Fender guy i just can say that i think you can get a better quality guitar from Fender at the same pricem there are also good PRS in that range... but again that's just me LOL
I played a lot of studios when I was looking for my perfect Les Paul, and I quite liked them too. I think they're a great no-frills LP.

The problem is the LP-frills are quite desirable.

My only problem, of sorts, is that I think they are priced just a bit too high. Guitar inflation in the last few years has been silly which may account for this. Also if memory serves me correctly they don't come with a hard case which is lame for a guitar of this price. They're the only problems.

So basically I don't see that there is a problem with the studios in particular but with the general guitar market. I bought my USA Strat for less than 2/3 of their current store price. This is the real problem.

On a plus note you can pick them up used for really good prices here in the UK.

Ignore the Gibson snobs who say they're not 'real' Lesters, and conversely the Gibson haters who, ironically given their reasons for hating on Gibsons, slate them just because of the name on the headstock.

EDIT: also the 50s/60s Tributes look damn tasty.
Last edited by Duv at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
I've just heard they have bad quality control, like most mid-range guitars. Some are great, some are terrible. All hearsay, though, I haven't confirmed that myself.

this sums things up really well for internet boards. people "hear" but don't "know" for themselves. get enough of this and that becomes the opinion (not picking on tubetime at least he was honest)

the biggest problem is that everyone has a different idea of what is "good"or "great". guitars are a personal thing and no 2 are exactly alike (no matter how hard producers try to make them that way). what i may think is excellent someone else may think sucks. it usually comes down to whether you happen to try one that agrees with your playing. people with bad experiences tend to be way more vocal at times as well. it's kinda like watching the news the bad stuff gets way more time than the good.

i've owned 1 LP Studio (one of the early ones that had dot postion markers) and i never really bonded with it. does this mean they all suck, no. played many others over the years and some were great and some just ok (the same can be said for any guitar). this is exactly why the advice "go try it yourself" is the best that can be given.
They are supposed to be the lower end of Gibson guitars, yet their price range in the high range for many other guitar companies. So it's either you buy a "low end" guitar from Gibson or a "high end" from another company with more options.

Personally it's either a Les Paul Standard or nothing.
Since you played it and loved why would you care what an E-thug says on-line?

It doesn't matter what others think when it comes to gear.
Quote by stoic
The hate is from Gibson snobs who have huge superiority complexes after spending gobs of money on a standard, traditional or custom. Since they've spent tons of money on an overpriced over hyped guitar, they convince themselves that those guitars are much better than they really are. They'll tell you that the woods and bindings and quality control on these guitars make them much more superior to studios. In short, they are sheep to a giant propaganda machine.

I've owned two standards and a custom. I've never understood what the hell Gibson snobs are talking about. They're good guitars, but they're not the be all end all, especially the newer ones. Most studios I've played have been good guitars.

Pretty much what i guessed tbh!
I'd not let someone on a forum put me off buying something, i personally liked the one i played! Just wondered what all the hate was about really.

I've been looking at second hand ones, as a new LP isn't really in my price range yet.
Bu it's a toss up between a worn brown studio, or a black BFG
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Gibson makes Studio models starting at $800. Lots of people are lumping all Studios into the overpriced category. If you're paying $1500 for a Studio, I'd agree that it's a little high.. I'd rather get a Traditional for another couple hundred bucks.. but the $800 ones are fantastic for the price. Gibson's quality has been very good in recent years.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by zincabopataurio
They are supposed to be the lower end of Gibson guitars, yet their price range in the high range for many other guitar companies. So it's either you buy a "low end" guitar from Gibson or a "high end" from another company with more options.

Personally it's either a Les Paul Standard or nothing.

this whole "low end" thing is exactly the thing stoic was talking about i think.

what you've gotta remember is that they are the bottom of the range of guitars that are made in the USA and branded "gibson", but that doesn't make them strictly "low end" guitars when you look at the bigger picture, as they are more like the higher middle tier of gibson's product range if you include epiphones.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Basically people give them crap because you're paying for more than you're getting. It's an American-built "entry level" Gibson. The problem is, given that the price of the guitar has to make up for the fact that there's actually minimum wage laws in the US, those $800 don't actually buy you much in the way of quality components and craftsmanship. It buys you labor, a logo, and some of the above.

Most people buying a LP Studio are likely trading up from cheaper Asian-built guitars. Thanks to the fact that the workers in those factories make about two cents and a slice of cheese an hour, those same $800 would buy you twice the bells and whistles on an Asian guitar as they would have on the Gibson.

LP Studios are great guitars to buy used and upgrade, I'd just never buy at full new price. Same with most big-name guitars and amps.

Buy a used one for $600, slap $200 worth of tuners, bridge, and pots/switches in there. Now a much better guitar for the same price as it would have been new.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by stoic

Replace Gibson snobs with people who inherently dislike Gibsons.

For buying new Gibsons at steal me now prices, consult with Greg (gregs1020).

Quote by Seref
Basically people give them crap because you're paying for more than you're getting. It's an American-built "entry level" Gibson. The problem is, given that the price of the guitar has to make up for the fact that there's actually minimum wage laws in the US, those $800 don't actually buy you much in the way of quality components and craftsmanship. It buys you labor, a logo, and some of the above.

Most people buying a LP Studio are likely trading up from cheaper Asian-built guitars. Thanks to the fact that the workers in those factories make about two cents and a slice of cheese an hour, those same $800 would buy you twice the bells and whistles on an Asian guitar as they would have on the Gibson.

There's a big difference in what a cheaper Asian-built guitar goes through in the building process than a Gibson. Comparing the two isn't really fair to either. There's a lot more machinery involved in the building process of oversea guitars compared to Gibsons. The necks are sanded by hand, the wood is weighed for density, you're getting a nitrocellulose finish instead of a polyurethane finish.. the parts are better, even if you think they need to be upgraded regardless. You're getting more than you're making it sound when you get a Gibson.

Quote by Seref

Buy a used one for $600, slap $200 worth of tuners, bridge, and pots/switches in there. Now a much better guitar for the same price as it would have been new.

This can be said about any company.. and the stock bridge is fine. Tuners aren't bad either. The pickups could use a swap. I'm not a fan of the 490/498 set that comes stock in the Studios.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by Chuck Mott
Telecaster 72 deluxe is a much nicer, more versatile guitar for the money.

It's also not going to sound anything like a Les Paul.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by Chuck Mott
Telecaster 72 deluxe is a much nicer, more versatile guitar for the money.

cant compare fender to gibson .. different sound and fell . i dont like les paul , im a strat guy . but i tried a studio and its a good guitar .

but stop the bandwagoning .. try the studio .. if it feels great and sound great buy it . in the end , the player make the guitar . its a lot cheaper than the standard .

im tired of the bagwagonning about fender , gibson etc.. having bad quality control etc..

the only thing i dislike about the studio is that it has this HUGE 570's rounded shape baseball bat neck . and thats a huge neck . thats why i sold my epiphone les paul jr57 reissue . the neck is way too huge for me .

if they would make a studio with a slim tappered neck or regular neck .. but that baseball bat is huge for my little finger . and im a strat player .

bring me a studio with a 60's profile neck and im probably a buyer .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jul 24, 2011,
Theses have 60s neck I've got an 09 before the maple cap......I like it better than the maple cap it's not so bright!!! The 498t is just to bright and the 50s neck is to big with the regular studios.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Satin.aspx
Quote by Skysc

bring me a studio with a 60's profile neck and im probably a buyer .

Check out the 60s Tributes.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex