Need a new one. My current one is starting to crap out on me.

Keep it under or around $70. I'm a little tight on cash. If there is one that's really great I might spend a little more but no more than $80 or $90.
I would honestly say your best bet is to go down to the music store with your guitar and your amp and try one out. Only YOU will be able to determine if the distortion pedal will meet YOUR needs. Taking an opinion from someone else on something only you can decide whether it sounds good or not wouldn't be a good idea. IMHO
What amp are you using? If you're using something like a Line 6 Spider or a Marshall MG, don't waste your money.
Should save your money anyways and buy a new amp that gives you the distortion that you want.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I wish i had ten cents for every mention i see of the spider and the mg in this forum
Back to the question, try the Super Overdrive SD-1 from BOSS and the new DeltaLab ones, they are relatively new so they dont cost as much as they should... (or maybe other brands just cost much more then they should?)
anyways thats a good question, what amp are you using and what sound are you trying to get?

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
I use a Fender Frontline 65 watt amp. It's just a standard solid state Fender amp.

As for the sound I'd like to get, something like old Korn (first couple albums), or Deftones would be a good example.
I used to hate when people would tell me this befroe but now I guess its necessary... : Save for a better amp... pedals dont sound THAT different in a solid state..., now if you must try the Digitech Grunge or the line 6 Uber Metal only if by no chances you are gonna change that amp

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Well, I love the sound of my current pedal (Digitech Grunge), it's just the product itself doesn't have very much longevity. I've only had it for two years and it's starting to crap out, and I don't wanna buy a new pedal every two years.
lol, i didnt see that coming xD, imo two years its some time for a pedal... maybe a BOSS? Ive heard those last forever, although the "heavy" sounding ones are about 100 bucks

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
i would recommend you a distortion pedal like a mi audio crunch box .. but all boutique pedals need to be in front of a good tube amp power amp . and they are out of your price range n-e way

on the other end .. the line 6 uber metal sound good into solid state amplifier for bedroom use . its one of the pedal that i can suggest cause it sound good through bedroom solid state practice amp .

so normally i wouldnt suggest it .. but Line 6 uber metal should be good for ya
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Boss DS1 is kind of a standard. BBE Green Screamer is a great TS type of pedal, as is the Bad Monkey (DUke Robillard uses one).
I don't own one yet (looking at getting one though) and it might be out of your range but the TC Electronics Dark Matter looks ace :-)
I personally like my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. It all depends on what kind of distortion you are looking for. If you want a hard rock/metal sound then this pedal will work. You can get many different sounds out of it.
This is fail. Pretty much every piece of equipment in this thread sucks. TS get a new amp. The frontman sucks huge. You gotta have a good amp if you want a good tone.

If you are truely set on a pedal get an okko dominator. only distortion pedal id ever actually spend money on. but it wont sound as good as it could through that amp. seriously. new amp.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

+1 Digitech Grunge and Boss DS1
+1 getting a new amp (maybe a Traynor or the Carvin mini V3). So much for so less...
Quote by Kinky C
I use a Fender Frontline 65 watt amp. It's just a standard solid state Fender amp.

As for the sound I'd like to get, something like old Korn (first couple albums), or Deftones would be a good example.

New amp
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Kinky C
Well, I love the sound of my current pedal (Digitech Grunge), it's just the product itself doesn't have very much longevity. I've only had it for two years and it's starting to crap out, and I don't wanna buy a new pedal every two years.

It should last a hell of alot longer than 2 years lol, you must have abused it petty badly

If you bought it new its prob still under warranty
If not buy another used one for $40 bucks
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by guitarpatrick66
This is fail. Pretty much every piece of equipment in this thread sucks. TS get a new amp. The frontman sucks huge. You gotta have a good amp if you want a good tone.

If you are truely set on a pedal get an okko dominator. only distortion pedal id ever actually spend money on. but it wont sound as good as it could through that amp. seriously. new amp.

Who are you to tell him to get a new amp, what works for you may not work for others and vice versa. Tone is a subjective thing what you hear in your head others don't, then there are issues of 1. is the TS cashed up enough to be buying gear all the time in the never ending search for a sound 2.does the TS want to take to the stage or just play with mates..... "Opinions are like arseholes all of us have one and most of them stink"

The title of this thread is recommend me a distortion pedal not slag off my amp
Last edited by Talon64 at Aug 24, 2011,
Cleans on the Frontman are alright actually, they take pedals well.

TS, check out the Hardwire TL-2 and SC-2. They're fantastic pedals for the money.

If you like your Grunge, get a Big Muff since that's what they're a copy of.
Quote by Dan_5893
Cleans on the Frontman are alright actually, they take pedals well.

TS, check out the Hardwire TL-2 and SC-2. They're fantastic pedals for the money.

If you like your Grunge, get a Big Muff since that's what they're a copy of.

Do I really can get the Heavy and Smooth sound of the demo on http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/grunge with the Big Muff?
Quote by Talon64
Who are you to tell him to get a new amp, what works for you may not work for others and vice versa. Tone is a subjective thing what you hear in your head others don't, then there are issues of 1. is the TS cashed up enough to be buying gear all the time in the never ending search for a sound 2.does the TS want to take to the stage or just play with mates..... "Opinions are like arseholes all of us have one and most of them stink"

The title of this thread is recommend me a distortion pedal not slag off my amp

ok fine. What piece of shit should i reccommend to him? There is no distortion pedal in his budget that sounds good. The frontman sucks. Im not telling him to go out and get a Splawn or a Diezel but even a Fender Mustang or a Peavey Vypyr would serve him much better than he has now and those are not expensive at all.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
ok fine. What piece of shit should i reccommend to him? There is no distortion pedal in his budget that sounds good. The frontman sucks. Im not telling him to go out and get a Splawn or a Diezel but even a Fender Mustang or a Peavey Vypyr would serve him much better than he has now and those are not expensive at all.

There is no distortion pedal in his budget that sounds good to you... Remember he said he was happy with his sound using his grunge pedal with his amp, he's just looking for pedal with the same sound and longer lasting, that's all about it. Don't take that comment you received so personal, there was a reason for receiving it.
Quote by Kinky C

If you love that sound greeny23 implied to me that it's a good idea to get the DOD Grunge instead, he sais those are better pedals. Hope this helps.

I'm looking for that sound too =).

To the rest:

Is it really possible to get that sound from a Big Muff?
Quote by blackborrego
You could get a Big Muff OR sell your pedals and your amp, then save a little bit of cash and then get this baby here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-6505-112-60w-1x12-tube-combo-guitar-amp. Seriously, if you play metal you won't need another pedal or amp in another friggin 20 years.

What a really nice price!!! Those things are so good for metal... It's really a bargain!