So, I've posted a couple of new songs on here in the past couple of days. I'm trying to get a better sounding recording from the gear I've got and I've got a few questions.

The first question regards pre-production and getting a good EQ for the various tones I want to use. I'm currently running my RG7321 (stock pups) into my Toneport UX2 and PodFarm. The rhythm tone I'm using sounds pretty good to me, but it sounds really thin recorded on its own. When I multitracked it, the sound was much better. Is that normal? And is it normal for a tone that sounds good on one guitar to sound really terrible on another (not just different, but completely horrible with a different guitar)?

Also, the lead tones I'm getting aren't quite what I want to get. I really liked the lead tone the Protest the Hero had on their album Fortress, but I've never been able to come remotely close to a tone that had that sound that mixed particularly well. Any advice on how to get a similar tone using vanilla Podfarm?

Finally, I've been using Audacity to record my songs. I'm alright with the results I'm getting (see the songs in my sig, especially Beyond the Wall of Sleep), but the program is really buggy. What software better than Audacity is out there? I got some sixteen track software with PodFarm, but I haven't used it, and I've seen a number of people using Reaper to record as well. Thoughts?
Multi tracking is probably one of the best ways to get a thicker tone. For better results, you can pan each track left and right, to get a fuller sound.

I use Reaper as well, and haven't had any problems with it.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Reaper is the mutts nuts. You won't be disappointed.

Double tracking is the way to go with Rhythm guitar. Record the same part twice, and shift one of them out of sync by a couple milliseconds. EQ them a little differently too. Panning is optional.

I like to record any palm muting on it's own too. Like if they're quick down-chugs in a riff.

Adds a nice bit of beef to it.
Hate to say it, but it's the truth:

The problem might be your playing. I've recorded the same track the same way and the second one sounded 100x better than the first.

The main difference was that I played it better. Better technique = better sound.

Advice above is also good, but consider practicing with something like guitar pro or just playing the same track 100x. Discipline, young Jedi!

That, plus the above, will give you the sound you seek. Good luck!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."