Wow this sound great.
You have a very full and heavy sound without sounding muddy.
What is exactly rough about this version haha, sounds pretty tight to me.
Strings were a pleasent suprise, I love how you didn't open with them like a lot of songs do. Drums were well writing, but could use some adjustments in the mix to stay on level with the heavy guitars. Love the double bass going crazy
Endogenous Wake sounds great too, may I ask you what your inspiration iwas on that track?

I don't know if you'd enjoy it, but I would really appreciate it if you checked out my cover of Iridescent by Linkin Park:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463223
i like it man. great job with the drums n the riff is really serious. but im not a fan of the organ thingy in the back at 1.20 ish. b i think at 2.50ish u shoulda maybe had a chunky riff underlying ur lead guitar maybe? i dunno..just what id do in that spot. give it a shot if u think u wanna try that. but overall pretty fun n well put together. B-
Quote by Ara Replica
Wow this sound great.
You have a very full and heavy sound without sounding muddy.
What is exactly rough about this version haha, sounds pretty tight to me.
Strings were a pleasent suprise, I love how you didn't open with them like a lot of songs do. Drums were well writing, but could use some adjustments in the mix to stay on level with the heavy guitars. Love the double bass going crazy
Endogenous Wake sounds great too, may I ask you what your inspiration iwas on that track?

I don't know if you'd enjoy it, but I would really appreciate it if you checked out my cover of Iridescent by Linkin Park:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463223

It's a little rough to me, there are too many obvious mess ups for me to consider it a demo or anything thanks your compliments are appreciated. And this is C4C, I'll check it out whether I think I might like it or not
Quote by irtiqaevox
i like it man. great job with the drums n the riff is really serious. but im not a fan of the organ thingy in the back at 1.20 ish. b i think at 2.50ish u shoulda maybe had a chunky riff underlying ur lead guitar maybe? i dunno..just what id do in that spot. give it a shot if u think u wanna try that. but overall pretty fun n well put together. B-

Thanks
about the solo.. what you said made me wonder can you hear the rhythm under it? I wasn't sure completely about this mixing I did on this one, because I'm using two real cheap speakers where it's hard to hear some of the panned tracks
Nice playing. Definitely a great intro. Your playing is really solid, it sounds like. The tone is a little rough and gain heavy, but it reminds me a bit of BTBAM's sound on The Silent Circus, which is perfectly fine by me.

My biggest complaint so far is that the strings sounds you had come in are very obviously Midi and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of context for them. Them coming in like that seems like it's really arbitrary, which bugs me because everything else to that point was really solid and each riff made sense.

The solo was really well played. The lead guitar was a little high in the mix and the rhythm track underneath wasn't loud enough, but the parts themselves were really well executed. I'll give you props.

Definitely keep up the good work. Aside from the strings and those other things I pointed out, you're doing just fine. I'd even leave the guitar tones alone, since they managed to be really thick and heavy without losing clarity, which is tough to get right.
Some cool shit man.

The guitar work is great. I don't listen to this type of music enough to really pay attention to the minute details. It just sounds great.

I agree with Geldin. The string section doesn't add anything to the song and sounds too simplistic for this type of music. If you must do the strings, establish it's presence early on so that it doesn't sound like it came from nowhere like it does right now. You might even want to get a real cellist to record something that's a little more interesting than the same two notes over and over again.

The drums were a little weak. I could barely hear the bass drum, and the snare sounded underwhelming as well. Fix that.

Hope this helps

c4c
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461784
intense intro, i really like how it sounds like the guitars are playing off each other, if you know what i mean. guitar tone is really good. it actually is the kind of tone im trying to achieve. like somebody said earlier, it is heavy without being muddy

the riffs were really good, a lot of flow from one to the other. nothing really seemed to stutter and seem forced, except for the strings. again like somebody else said, if they aren't already established near the beginning of the song, they kinda seem out of place. i get you are trying to add atmosphere, but the song would have been fine without it. solo was good, a bit loud on the mix, but that was the only gripe with it.

drums are written well, certainly compliment the guitars. the mix on them is a bit rough, especially with the blast beats. the hi-hat drowns out the snare and kick, i suggest switching to the ride, or perhaps just doing quarter notes with the hi-hat. also, perhaps switch to the ride during the solo, that way you aren't overshadowing the guitar. too much in the higher frequencies can overwhelm the listening.

overall, very good song. this is definitely something i would listen to a daily basis. keep up the good work, and i cant wait to hear the next song.

perhaps a crit of my work? my stuff
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
Quote by djn419
intense intro, i really like how it sounds like the guitars are playing off each other, if you know what i mean. guitar tone is really good. it actually is the kind of tone im trying to achieve. like somebody said earlier, it is heavy without being muddy

the riffs were really good, a lot of flow from one to the other. nothing really seemed to stutter and seem forced, except for the strings. again like somebody else said, if they aren't already established near the beginning of the song, they kinda seem out of place. i get you are trying to add atmosphere, but the song would have been fine without it. solo was good, a bit loud on the mix, but that was the only gripe with it.

drums are written well, certainly compliment the guitars. the mix on them is a bit rough, especially with the blast beats. the hi-hat drowns out the snare and kick, i suggest switching to the ride, or perhaps just doing quarter notes with the hi-hat. also, perhaps switch to the ride during the solo, that way you aren't overshadowing the guitar. too much in the higher frequencies can overwhelm the listening.

overall, very good song. this is definitely something i would listen to a daily basis. keep up the good work, and i cant wait to hear the next song.

perhaps a crit of my work? my stuff

Just to make sure, have you listened to the semi-final recording? Link's on this page.
I know what you mean, haha. I wanted to make the riff a bit more interesting by having them fight back and forth. I do the same thing on that riff again at around 3:28, but with a melody going along with the keys (with IMO sound much better the new way). Speaking of keys, I know what everyone keeps saying about starting them in the beginning. But what if the keys are what starts into and atmospheric sequel to the song? I took your words into consideration, and I'm going to switch up the drums
Quote by touke
Just to make sure, have you listened to the semi-final recording? Link's on this page.
I know what you mean, haha. I wanted to make the riff a bit more interesting by having them fight back and forth. I do the same thing on that riff again at around 3:28, but with a melody going along with the keys (with IMO sound much better the new way). Speaking of keys, I know what everyone keeps saying about starting them in the beginning. But what if the keys are what starts into and atmospheric sequel to the song? I took your words into consideration, and I'm going to switch up the drums

i saw the post containing the revised version after i made my post, i'll check it out again, and see how things go. i get what you are saying about starting the atmospheric outro. it certainly makes the outro seem more powerful. perhaps changing the patch will make it different. i would suggest something low, and perhaps heavy. that way it kinda has an ominous and menacing feel to it.

EDIT: i just listened to the revised version, and i must say, i really like the progression in what i am assuming is the chorus riff. nice use of dissonace, im not sure why i didnt notice it before. also, the more i listen to the strings, the more they grow on me. perhaps, now bare with me, perhaps at the 3:18 mark, where it goes into the chug riff again, perhaps add a bass drop. i know they are cheesy and overdone, but it might be a good spot for one. that point in the song is a transition into a heavy outro, coupled with the strings, a bass drop would add wonders.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Last edited by djn419 at Jul 25, 2011,
Hmm. How do I make a bass drop? Probably a silly question haha. An example of one would be nice, what songs have this notorious "bass drop" character? :P The chorus... I haven't exactly decided on what's the chorus... so which part are you pointing out that has nice use of dissonance?
Quote by touke
Hmm. How do I make a bass drop? Probably a silly question haha. An example of one would be nice, what songs have this notorious "bass drop" character? :P The chorus... I haven't exactly decided on what's the chorus... so which part are you pointing out that has nice use of dissonance?

making a bass drop is something im still trying to figure out myself. Winds of Plague use bass drops a lot. the one in that example starts at 1:50. they are relatively quick effects that are used to add emphasis to a particular passage. you mostly find them in deathcore, and other breakdown heavy music.

sorry about calling it a chorus, i have gotten into a habit of naming sections of songs when i am writing/recording. the riff in question starts at 2:00 and ends at 2:20.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Quote by touke
Oh, you know what, I think I've heard it in this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrw8JABmzes&feature=related
It's in the intro, which is my most favorite of all time. I couldn't help but think that the WOP song just had a breakdown, I didn't hear any special bass part ?

who knew morbid angel had bass drops? it is that low, rumbling sound right at the beginning of the breakdown. it kinda sounds like a bass slide, kinda.

it isn't a special bass part, it is an effect created by combining a roland 808 and 909 kick sample.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
I'm learning to create bass drops in FL studio. I might take your suggestion and give the outro that heavy boost
Quote by touke
I'm learning to create bass drops in FL studio. I might take your suggestion and give the outro that heavy boost

just do it to accent that one part. do it too much, and it loses it's purpose.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Yeah, I'm not going crazy with it, just going to coat it with a big drop once
Wow, you were right.

This really isn't my type of music (closest one might be Children of Bodom)... so anything I say might come off as just bashing. The bass player of my former band loved a sort of rhythmic music and I just didn't see at all what was so fascinating in it.

To me this is a bit boring. There are different sections there but they have very much the same energy level as the sections before and after. Now, energy level isn't the same as volume or loudness. You can lower the energy level by:

* playing the same chord longer without a change
* add more rests in between the notes/chords
* let the notes/chords ring longer (quarter note instead of 8th)
* simplify the drums (this you did pretty well)
* fewer notes IN chords
* fewer and lower everything, pretty much

Just mix lower sections and higher sections together and try building some tension. Try to make a section end in such a fashion that it's falling like a car from a cliff in a hollywood movie and then the next section is the car crashing to the ground with an explosion. And in between there is the tension. Build it up, it's worth it.

So... I don't know if I said anything of value here. It didn't sound bad I just don't really get it. The solo guitar could've been a little more present... because I actually wanted to hear the solo and it kinda got cluttered with all the other instruments.
HERE WE GO

PLUNGED INTO A WORLD OF CHAOS! This is loads of fun, I luv the attention to detail and shifting rhythms. FINALLY someone who is taking some risks in this genre. OH NOW WE ARE JUST CRUISING!!! HAHA this is just so much it's really fun! You get some REALLY filthy tones on your guitar about half way, REALLY nice. Good job producing, the sound isn't overly muddy which happens alot here.

You should be really psyched about this stuff its legit. no corners were cut

return the luv, my bruv

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1464675

sub on the YT and they will too

<34 luvu
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
HERE WE GO

PLUNGED INTO A WORLD OF CHAOS! This is loads of fun, I luv the attention to detail and shifting rhythms. FINALLY someone who is taking some risks in this genre. OH NOW WE ARE JUST CRUISING!!! HAHA this is just so much it's really fun! You get some REALLY filthy tones on your guitar about half way, REALLY nice. Good job producing, the sound isn't overly muddy which happens alot here.

You should be really psyched about this stuff its legit. no corners were cut

return the luv, my bruv

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1464675

sub on the YT and they will too

<34 luvu

Thanks dude this i my favorite of my own songs more to come, also
I will check your stuff out when I can
Wow this is really good, i love it!

Your playing is very tight, tone is good aswell, good job on that!

The intro and everything until 01.00 is really good, but the 01.00-01.30 part is abit boring and the riff repeat itself too long imo. The solo is badass and especially the the 03.13-03.30 part.

Crit mine ? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464658
Last edited by vismbr at Jul 27, 2011,