Note: I know versus threads aren't allowed I'm just looking for some opinions on what to get for my next guitar. I'll remove the thread ASAP if it's not allowed.

I've decided to move on from my current guitar, which I find catered too specifically to metal.
I've basically narrowed my choices down to PRS CU24 and EBMM JP6. I like both of them for it's versatility but I have to admit the JP6 wins in features with the piezo and the d sonic pickups combo.

But I've been gasing for a PRS for a long time, I feel that for the PRS I've played the guitar resonates extremely well. Two of my favorite bands Opeth and BTBAM also uses the model. I also think the 25" scale fits my hands more compared to the 25.5" guitars I've been playing ever since I started playing.

I play BTBAM, Opeth, DT, and musics with guitar instrumentation in general. Though I must say I play a lot of clean stuff opposed to high gain riffing. And the guitar will be run through a Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe 1x12 combo.

What do UG think I should get?
Thanks
Last edited by sirlaser at Jul 24, 2011,
Honestly, the PRS is a more well known name, and it might look nicer, but I think the JP6 plays nicer.
Where's Waldo?
The Jp6 has the best neck i've ever played and pickups more suited to your style.
I'd ask yellowv, he's owned multiple PRS's and EBMM's. He sold a few of his PRS's to buy a JPX and Steve Morse sig EBMM.

The regular JP6 has a basswood body, so it won't sound as thick as the Custom 24, but if you get a BFR JP (more expensive) they have an alder body with a mahogany tone block, and a mahogany neck, which makes them sound a lot fuller than the basswood JP.

Either guitar would be very versatile, and wouldn't disappoint you really I don't think. I'd try both if you can.
The last time I went and tried a bunch of Custom 22/24s, I was hugely let down. While they played nice, they sounded horrible for the price IMO. Since then, I've had a few (which included a 20th Anniversary Custom 24, which looked AMAZING, but once again, sounded like crap for the price. The only version of the Custom that I've been impressed with thus far is a Custom 24 stop-tail that I had. That guitar was BADASS! It's too bad it wasn't mine to keep, because I loved that guitar. Other than a stop-tail - I will personally never buy a Custom 22 or 24 ever again, the single cuts on the other hand, are a whole different story.

The JP6 is a cool guitar, the neck is quite different than anything PRS makes, so whether you'll think it's better is really up to you. With PRS you're really just paying for the name, whereas with EBMM, I feel you get a better product for the money. The stock pickups are MUCH better for metal, but the sound is going to be completely different, since the PRS is mahogany and the EBMM is basswood.

Since you play a lot more clean though, I'd definitely go with the JP6 - While the stock pickups may not sound quite as good as the PRS will clean, the added versatility of the piezo for cleans is HUGE IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ have you been playing those custom 24s with the 59/09 and 57/08s?
i never understood putting those in a CU24.

for what he plays i would think a HFS/BASS set up would be good.

but the EBMM giutars are crazy nice too, it's really going to come down to the individual guitars imo.

nice choices too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
^ have you been playing those custom 24s with the 59/09 and 57/08s?
i never understood putting those in a CU24.

Only in the Anniversary model. The other ones had HSF/Bass or Dragon IIs in them, though, I'm thinking the Stop-Tail had BKPs or something in them, cause I can't see just the stop-tail making THAT huge of a difference on it. Seriously, after I got that guitar, I had to sell my CE-22 cause it horribly failed in comparison to it, the clarity from whatever pickups were in that thing was insane

I remember I had PRS Custom 24 GAS for years, then when I could finally afford one, I went to try a ton of them and they all sounded like utter shit. It was saddening
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
The last time I went and tried a bunch of Custom 22/24s, I was hugely let down. While they played nice, they sounded horrible for the price IMO. Since then, I've had a few (which included a 20th Anniversary Custom 24, which looked AMAZING, but once again, sounded like crap for the price. The only version of the Custom that I've been impressed with thus far is a Custom 24 stop-tail that I had. That guitar was BADASS! It's too bad it wasn't mine to keep, because I loved that guitar. Other than a stop-tail - I will personally never buy a Custom 22 or 24 ever again, the single cuts on the other hand, are a whole different story.

The JP6 is a cool guitar, the neck is quite different than anything PRS makes, so whether you'll think it's better is really up to you. With PRS you're really just paying for the name, whereas with EBMM, I feel you get a better product for the money. The stock pickups are MUCH better for metal, but the sound is going to be completely different, since the PRS is mahogany and the EBMM is basswood.

Since you play a lot more clean though, I'd definitely go with the JP6 - While the stock pickups may not sound quite as good as the PRS will clean, the added versatility of the piezo for cleans is HUGE IMO.

The man knows amps, not guitars.

If a guitar looks nice, it no doubt plays and sounds fantastic.

That's my theory anyway.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
The man knows amps, not guitars.

If a guitar looks nice, it no doubt plays and sounds fantastic.

That's my theory anyway.

If I went by that theory, all those cheap guitars with nice veneers would sound like a million bucks!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I dunno, I really don't play them much. But mine please me to look at.

An unplayed guitar is a happy guitar. Imagine if some guy was belting your neck with his fingers??!
mojostompboxes.com
i uh............i actually enjoy that feeling...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MatrixClaw
I remember I had PRS Custom 24 GAS for years, then when I could finally afford one, I went to try a ton of them and they all sounded like utter shit. It was saddening

what you need is a new amp.
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you play opeth, might i suggest michael akerfeldt's se from prs? its cheaper than the custom 24, and IS michael akerfeldt's guitar.
er...

wow
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
er...

wow

what? because i suggested a guitar that was like 1k less? if he wants to play opeth, why not get a opeth guitar?
get the PRS since u're GASing for one and you said the one u played resonated and played well. If u get the JP6, it'll hold off your PRS GAS for a while but it WILL come back.
Quote by 00_hns_00
what? because i suggested a guitar that was like 1k less? if he wants to play opeth, why not get a opeth guitar?

try $2k less.

i know you said like, but that's a big like.
woops. lol, but still. it will get opeth sounds. just like how the paul allender guitar sounds like paul allenders guitar....

the 24 i played, sounded like it was more santana'ish rather than a shredders delight.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Ive never played any custom 24s/22s but i have played a few SC245s and they felt like toys, like they looked nice yea, but they just didnt feel nice or play nicely, it didnt sound that great either.

and every custom 24 Ive heard on youtube sounded awesome (i know its youtube, but even the well recorded ones and not shitty camera mics)

I also think the JP necks are very thin, too thin for me IMO
Quote by Seanthesheep
and every custom 24 Ive heard on youtube sounded awesome (i know its youtube, but even the well recorded ones and not shitty camera mics)

Hearing how a guitar sounds on YouTube, or pretty much any recording for that matter, is fairly hard.

Quote by 00_hns_00
woops. lol, but still. it will get opeth sounds. just like how the paul allender guitar sounds like paul allenders guitar....

the 24 i played, sounded like it was more santana'ish rather than a shredders delight.

That guitar is NOT the guitar he plays.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hearing how a guitar sounds on YouTube, or pretty much any recording for that matter, is fairly hard.

That guitar is NOT the guitar he plays.

it sure sounds similar.
Quote by 00_hns_00
it sure sounds similar.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I love how in the 4 pictures of him, his Sig is no where to be seen.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by 00_hns_00
http://www.prsguitars.com/artists/profiles/mikaelakerfeldt/index.html

custom 24, and his opeth signature. both guitars have the same pickups as those in the opeth signature.

so they will sound similar.

just because one of the guitarists in ONE of the bands he used as an example for his playing style has a signature guitar doesnt mean he has to buy it to get THAT sound.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
i'mma go with

"er...

wow"

again
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'mma go with

"er...

wow"

again

I'm littlephil, and I endorse this message brought to you by Dave_Mc.
As I have said before, my mind is full of **** right now
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by 00_hns_00

custom 24, and his opeth signature. both guitars have the same pickups as those in the opeth signature.

No, no no, ****ing no
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by 00_hns_00

The Opeth signature has SE HFS and Bass pickups. The Custom 24 has the original USA HFS and Bass pickups.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by littlephil
I'm littlephil, and I endorse this message brought to you by Dave_Mc.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an old handmade custom 24 and a EBMM Axis with D-sonic and Air norton (has also a basswood body, bolt on birdseye maple tung oiled neck with RW fretboard). So these are VERY similar to the guitars you're interested in.

The verdict:
The PRS is the best regarding build quality, there is no way in denying it. If you want a music man that is on par with the PRS, you'll have to shop between the BFR guitars.
And matrixclaw, get the shit out of your ears man. Anyone that says that a PRS 'sounds like shit' should considder taking the shit out of their ears first. No offence ment, I know you're a regular here and have tested many amps and guitars, bt you can't possibly mean that PRS's sound like crap dude.
Agreed, both guitars sound differently. The EBMM will sound less snappy and a little more metaly, but the tones you get out of a PRS are at least just as stunning. Just different.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
indeed it's just taste. maybe matrixclaw just doesn't like the sound of PRS ? i think you don't really pay for name with PRS, they are that expensive cause the quality is miles above other guitar brands. even the SE guitars are of very very good quality. but the real PRS guitars are made of excellent wood, and the finishes are so well done and are just breathtaking.
i really don't know through what amp you played to make those PRS sound like shit. or what music you tried to achieve with it.

and to me it's like this: you want good cleans but want to play quite technical metal and shred: go with the JP6
if you want a more complex texture of sound, versatility, beautiful finishes go with PRS
PRS>EBMM sorry it's pretty easy callwith the models you listed. Don't bet me wrong the EB is a good guitar, just the PRS is much better. PRS has probably the best QC of any mass produced guitar company period.

And I agree with LP_CL if you honestly say PRS sound like crap, ether you have never played one, or it's strictly penis envy of someone else.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MatrixClaw
Only in the Anniversary model. The other ones had HSF/Bass or Dragon IIs in them, though, I'm thinking the Stop-Tail had BKPs or something in them, cause I can't see just the stop-tail making THAT huge of a difference on it. Seriously, after I got that guitar, I had to sell my CE-22 cause it horribly failed in comparison to it, the clarity from whatever pickups were in that thing was insane

I would´nt blame the guitar for sounding like shit, it´s how you play it.
Quote by sstony
I would´nt blame the guitar for sounding like shit, it´s how you play it.

or his amp sucks.