I was originally thinking of buying a rectifier but I heard bad stuff about it and I didn't like how it sounded even on high quality recording demos on youtube and then I found out about the mark series, in particular the IV which even from demos recorded with digital camera audio I liked the sound of. I heard the combo isn't good, but I can't find the head used for a reasonable price so should I just get the combo or get something else?
The guys from Lamb of God use Mark IV's and Mark V's, so you can get an idea of how those sound. The distortion is SUPER tight. For the Mesa Recs, a lot modern/radio rock bands use them. Dan Donegan from Disturbed used them up until Indestructible I believe. They have a lot bigger & bassier sound, usually with more gain than the Mark series.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 24, 2011,
The V isn't too much different from the IV right? Because I can't find any affordable used deals on the V anywhere anyway, and I heard Petrucci used the IV before the V came out too. I just want to make sure that if I'm stuck with getting the combo, it's not going to be any worse than the head with a cab.
Quote by Stringz of Fury
The V isn't too much different from the IV right? Because I can't find any affordable used deals on the V anywhere anyway, and I heard Petrucci used the IV before the V came out too. I just want to make sure that if I'm stuck with getting the combo, it's not going to be any worse than the head with a cab.

They are both totally different amps.

Channel 1 of the Mark IV is very warm and sterile, good for jazzy cleans, but boring for my tastes. The Mark V has a ton of options on its clean channel and can go from warmy, jazzy tones to sparkly finger picking with the flip of a switch.

Channel 2 of the Mark IV is weak and not ballsy at all. Unless you're playing lower gain blues, this channel is worthless without a good OD. Channel 2 of the Mark V can go from low gain crunch to tight metal rhythm.

Channel 3 of the Mark IV is where its signature sound lies - It's tight and clear and serves well as a high gain rhythm, or lead. Channel 3 of the Mark V requires more work to get it to sound good and its "modeling" of the Mark IV tone isn't as close as most would like, nor is the IIC+ setting, but it is more than capable of getting nice rhythms and leads out of, it just might take you a while to find them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I honestly don't think you'll hear anybody say something bad about them.
Where's Waldo?
I have one. It's pretty sweet.

It doesn't sound anything like what I hear on recordings though. It's not as tight and clear. I think it may be my pickups and tubes. I don't know how old they are and my pickups are stock.
The recordings on your soundcloud sound really good to me. Maybe some of the really down tuned stuff is a little loose but it still sounds good.
Quote by Stringz of Fury
The recordings on your soundcloud sound really good to me. Maybe some of the really down tuned stuff is a little loose but it still sounds good.

Well there's lot of mixed stuff in my soundcloud, I haven't done any low tunings with my Mark IV. If it doesn't say "- Mark IV" next to it, it's probably my Pod HD500.

edit:
well there is some Drop C stuff, but I don't consider that too low
I wanted a Mark IV forever. Ended up getting a Tremoverb back in the 90's which I still own. I love the Tremoverb. Kept the stock 6L6 tubes in it for a long time, then bought some EL-34s. OMGSH. The sound on the modern channel is amazing with the 34's.

Back in the day, I heard many demos of the Mark IV. Per the poster above, Channel 3 was awesome. The sound was rich and packed with a tone that was different from other amps I have heard.

The limiting factor on these amps in my opinion is the weight. Don't discount that if you are moving between locations alot. Imagine yourself lugging one of these up a flight of stairs. My tremoverb never moves, although its my favorite amp. I have cheaper/lighter amps that I move with.

Before you buy, drop by a guitar store and try to lift a Mark V or used Mark IV. Then think about carrying it around.
Quote by nonjonron
Before you buy, drop by a guitar store and try to lift a Mark V or used Mark IV. Then think about carrying it around.

If you think either of those amps is even remotely heavy, try picking up an Orange RV100 or a Diezel Herbert
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well there's lot of mixed stuff in my soundcloud, I haven't done any low tunings with my Mark IV. If it doesn't say "- Mark IV" next to it, it's probably my Pod HD500.

edit:
well there is some Drop C stuff, but I don't consider that too low

Yeah I'm only talking about the ones that say Mark IV. I'm not too concerned about low tunings anyway because I have a seven string but the lowest I ever go with my low b string is a half step down and I hardly use the string anyway.
i don't like them at all but that's just my preference. you were asking for opinions, and that's mine. there's nothing wrong with them, they sound great and they are very well built, i just don't enjoy using them for some reason. never understood why tbh.

but it's the sort of thing where if you're thinking of buying one the only opinion that counts is your own. you're buying it for yourself, not for anyone else
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i don't like them at all but that's just my preference. you were asking for opinions, and that's mine. there's nothing wrong with them, they sound great and they are very well built, i just don't enjoy using them for some reason. never understood why tbh.

but it's the sort of thing where if you're thinking of buying one the only opinion that counts is your own. you're buying it for yourself, not for anyone else

Yeah not everyone is going to like one amp I know. I just like to know the ups and downs of things to see if the cons really affect me.
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you think either of those amps is even remotely heavy, try picking up an Orange RV100 or a Diezel Herbert

how heavy can it be? My peavey head is 50+ lbs. OS 4x12 cabs are the killers IMO

and make sure you know the difference between a rec and a mark, sonically before you even think about buying one, theyre completly different amps
Quote by Seanthesheep
how heavy can it be? My peavey head is 50+ lbs. OS 4x12 cabs are the killers IMO

My Diezel is close to 65 lbs (unboxed) and an Orange RV100 weighs 63 lbs in its factory box.

I once shipped a Peavey 5150 combo, it weighed 120 lbs
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
damn lol, i wouldve thought the Deizel to be close to 75lbs tho

but still, i even think my peavey head is pretty heavy for just a head tho
I believe the Mark IV combo weighs in at 83 pounds. Saw it on another site that was quoting a 1996 product description.