Page 1 of 2
Hey all, now that im back in the states, ive decided to add some sex appeal to my old Tokai random star from japan, dated about '83. Right now its real lackluster, how will it make nipples hard like this? Well, that's my mission: I want to be unable to play classical style because it makes me so hard. Think 80s. I want your guy's opinions and suggestions, while i'm still in the planning stages. I would also like this to be somewhat budget priced, just for my sake.

Specs that i can identify.
Body: Alder
Neck: Maple with rosewood fingerboard; AANJ-esque neck joint (feels and looks like a strat neck)
Tuners: Original Kluson
Bridge: Strat style trem.
Controls: One volume/ 3 way switch
Pickups: No name or markings, assuming they are stock. Sound pretty damn good.
Binding: cream around body

Alright, before i give you the pictures, let me give you a rundown of what i have running through my head:

Refinish: Ferrari red. Im thinking this would compliment the zebra pickups and cream binding nicely. Maybe "SEX" in bold cream letters on the back. ;]
Hardware: Okay, im thinking gold would go well with the ferrari red and cream. I want to fear from black because i use it too much on my builds. Chrome is a possibility.
Input jack mod: Instead of the standard square input jack which gets in the way, i was thinking of using a fender football style jack so the chord isnt in the way.
Bridge: Here is where im having trouble deciding. I originally wanted a floyd, but i dont see room. So ill go with a vintage style trem, just having trouble deciding on a good, cheap option. Also, are roller saddles worth it?
I like these two (stainless saddles)
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GOLD-Wilkinson-Stainless-Saddle-tremolo-Fits-ALL-Strats_p_405.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/USA-Strat-2-point-Hardened-Steel-GOLD-Tremolo-System_p_777.html
Pickups: Probably a set of Power Rails from GFS, even though the stock pickups give a great 80s rock/metal tone. Still undecided.
Tuners: Staggered sperzel style ones from GFS, Hate the look of string trees.
Nut: Thinking the stock one is fine, only upgrade i could see it a brass one?
Inlay: Im thinking some George Lynch "bomb" inlay stickers?

"maybe" ideas: Complete new neck, hockey stick or reverse strat style...the problem is finding a close enough fit to limit modification

On with the Before pictures:

Now im open to ALL ideas and thoughts. I know there are some creative minds on here.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
do the Ferrari Red, I think chrome hardware with white plastic would look damn sexy
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Yeah, Hot Rails are sexy! I think roller bridges are super cool, too, but you cant notice them from very far away. My Epi even has a roller nut, hehe. Red and gold vs Red and chrome. I like gold but some say it can look cheap. I did gold hardware on a sunburst with white binding (lp shaped) and I thought it was fine.
I know, but its so hard for me to do chrome...always looks plastic to me lol. Gahh, so hard to decide, its usually why i go with all black hardware.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
My 80's styled guitar that I'm building I was going to write on the back "**** Me". Kinda the same idea as your "SEX" one. With my one you could just flip the guitar around and point it at a hot girl in the audiance then meet her backstage, feel free to use it if you want because I'm not going to use it on this build anymore, maybe in the future I will. Also why wont the floyd fit? Is it the routing that won't fit it? If it is and you can I think you should rout for it, Floyds make it so much more 80's.
If this was an explorer, which it almost is, I'd say do "EET FUK"

But its not...

I will make that guitar one day... Inlays and all.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by da_
My 80's styled guitar that I'm building I was going to write on the back "**** Me". Kinda the same idea as your "SEX" one. With my one you could just flip the guitar around and point it at a hot girl in the audiance then meet her backstage, feel free to use it if you want because I'm not going to use it on this build anymore, maybe in the future I will. Also why wont the floyd fit? Is it the routing that won't fit it? If it is and you can I think you should rout for it, Floyds make it so much more 80's.

ha, i may just have to use it.

As far as the floyd goes, from my research, the stars with the floyd were enlongated. but i may have to measure it out, it would be cutting it pretty close i think?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
ha, i may just have to use it.

As far as the floyd goes, from my research, the stars with the floyd were enlongated. but i may have to measure it out, it would be cutting it pretty close i think?

I think a non-recessed floyd would fit. Mesure it up and have a look. I'm looking foward to seeing how this turns out.
Another thing i was worried about it the fretboard radius, its pretty rounded, the strings fret out on huge bends...so im wondering if the floyd rose can accommodate that radius.

then theres the matter of installing the nut a well.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
*UPDATE:
I decided to pick up a new neck i found a good deal on. Its a 5150 style, which i think will look good with the rounded body style. The neck pocket should be a pretty close match. Also decided to to fill in the neck pup and have just one, angled bridge pup. I think the ferrari red will really set the maple off. Still not sure on the hardware color thought.

Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
dude black hard wear, maple neck, and the ferrari red...... that would be sexy lol
Quote by ibanez2011
dude black hard wear, maple neck, and the ferrari red...... that would be sexy lol

it has a nice cream binding...so imma work that in...and black hardware is a bit meh.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220

Rough idea of what im thinking.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by da_
My 80's styled guitar that I'm building I was going to write on the back "**** Me". With my one you could just flip the guitar around and point it at a hot girl in the audiance then meet her backstage

Yeah, that would TOTALLY work...
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
da: Ill have to see what this neck does with the scale and the position of the bridge. Im hoping is makes me have to move the bridge a bit forward, because as of now, a floyd hangs off just barely.

Sleaze: Dunno if im gonna do that yet lol..
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Sleaze: Dunno if im gonna do that yet lol..

Protip: Don't.

It won't work.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Protip: Don't.

It won't work.

Haha it was a joke. And it would have worked back in the 80's and since this guitar is pretty 80's styled it would fit with the theme. Plus alot of 80's hair metal guitarests had big bold writeing on there guitars. But what I described before for it to be used for was a joke.
I know all of that.

Point still stands, though.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Like this. But with a star shape. And gold flecks in the paint.
Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Quote by y2k11hmmm?
Like this. But with a star shape. And gold flecks in the paint.

Yeah, i contemplated using metal flake just to make it that much more 80s. The neck came in, it looks damn good for the 75 bucks i paid shipped.

Decided that since im too unskilled to inlay, i will use inlay stickers for the neck, hopefully black lynch style bombs on the maple fretboard.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by GandalfWh1te
Gonna have to say chrome hardware. Gold with the cream binding and maple neck just looks wrong IMO.

Hmm, im starting to think the same, it seems to gaudy and whatnot. Black looks great, but not with the cream binding. I think chrome would look good with a chrome dimarzio bridge pup? lol

On second though, im almost to the point of just painting over the binding, but not sure yet...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Last edited by BreeBreeMiikey at Aug 24, 2011,
What would you all think about about purple with gold metalflake, Cream, and gold hardware?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
yes!^
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
yes!^

It shall be done...might be pickin up a red carvin so ill be good in that department
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
I'm not a metal guy, but this is going to be...

****IN EPIC.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
My design as it stands...of course i couldnt add in the metalflake.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
You weren't kidding when you said "sex appeal". Hot damn...
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
i feel like it still needs something, not some thing huge, just a little something, i just can't put my finger on it
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by M_16A
i feel like it still needs something, not some thing huge, just a little something, i just can't put my finger on it

it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Thanks...i know planning threads are lame...but I wanted to get it exactly right before i start this. Not to mention im dislocated from home atm, so i cant do much else. ha.

And yes its gold hardware ;]
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Last edited by BreeBreeMiikey at Sep 3, 2011,
Not much of an update. But its something. Its hard for me to work on this with being bounced around the country and all.

Ordered some hardware:
Gold locking tuners.
Acquired and old kahler killer trem and nut in gold.
Going with a push pull switch, which is ordered.
Gave in an dropped the money on a purple Tone Zone by Dimarzio in standard spacing, so i can angle it properly ;D
All gold hardware is ordered, screws and all. This is going to be so sex.

Going to finish it with spray cans, but having trouble deciding which shade.

A Gold/purple crackle finish crossed my mind, no sure if i can handle it x]
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Is this actually going to even happen? It seems like this thread has been around for months.

Edit: I should have read the post above. My apologies.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by ma_tt11
Is this actually going to even happen? It seems like this thread has been around for months.

Edit: I should have read the post above. My apologies.

All good, i have all the parts...just waiting to get sent back to Colorado so i can have a solid work area. Im hating having to wait, i have a feeling this will look really cool once its completed.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
So I disassembeld the sex machine and started sanding....one side down. To me this looks like basswood? Either way it has a fairly nice grain pattern. I can't find any seams, so its a 1 piece body at this point . More to come.

EDIT: found a seam...you almost need a magnifying glass to see it...gotta love 80s japanese craftsmanship.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Last edited by BreeBreeMiikey at Oct 14, 2011,
Wow! That's a beautiful guitar you had to start with (and by the looks of it, well made too!), and your plans for it are just so damn sexy. I can't wait to see the final product. Subscribing to this.
Page 1 of 2