Hey all.

I went to Guitar Center today to see if they still had a RI Fender Mustang. I picked it up the week before and foolishly left before playing it; and with my karma it was sold. However, I did have a chance to play the Squier Duo-Sonic. Same Scale, light weight. However, it also has a much lighter price (300 to 900?)

I've heard a lot of great things about the Squier Classic Vibes. But I don't know if the Fender Mustang is that much better than the Duo Sonic. It felt good, and was pretty light. Because of its low price, I'd also try to give it a mod after getting sick of the sound. I'd probably never do that to a 900 dollar guitar anyway, but seeing as how I liked the sound and the feel (and it stayed in tuned), I feel as though this would be the better deal.

Has anyone tried one of these and has found problems with the Duo-Sonic? (Keep in mind, it is not a Fender Duo-Sonic. The Squier has a 24'' scale as opposed to 22.5''). I'm willing to spend the 900 if I must (I don't know what it is used), but if the 300 is close enough, I'll have at it.

Thanks a lot.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
The Squier Duo-Sonic is an incredibly inferior guitar to the Fender RI Mustang. It has sub-par pickups and electronics, most of the hardware will need to be replaced, and the guitar is more finish than wood.

The Fender RI Mustang is superior even to vintage Fender Duo-Sonics. You have to remember that the Duo-Sonic is a guitar that's bee discontinued 3 times, even during the 90s when fender student models were at the peak of their popularity, and there was no outcry when they were discontinued.

Most of the time, I am a Squier supporter; they make quite a few really decent guitars, but don't even try and convince yourself that the Squier Duo-sonic is equivalent with any Fender. The fact is it's not. It's sub-par even to most Squiers. It's a poorly designed guitar and the Squier version is implemented even worse than the Fender one.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
For the price, they're pretty solid and I liked the one I had.

Its quality is similar to most Squiers at this price point and they're a blast to mod and make your own. Underneath the pickguard, you've got the HB routes so mods are easier if you like experimenting with PUs. Like most modern Squiers, upgrading the electronics, switch, nut, PUs will be beneficial.

Some folks at TDPRI really liked them and have done some sweet mods. Also, check out this resource site for Fender MusicMasters/DuoSonics: http://www.marcelroy.com/index.html. The mods there will apply to the Squiers.

Have fun!

Quote by kangaxxter
The Squier Duo-Sonic is an incredibly inferior guitar to the Fender RI Mustang. It has sub-par pickups and electronics, most of the hardware will need to be replaced, and the guitar is more finish than wood.

The Fender RI Mustang is superior even to vintage Fender Duo-Sonics. You have to remember that the Duo-Sonic is a guitar that's bee discontinued 3 times, even during the 90s when fender student models were at the peak of their popularity, and there was no outcry when they were discontinued.

Most of the time, I am a Squier supporter; they make quite a few really decent guitars, but don't even try and convince yourself that the Squier Duo-sonic is equivalent with any Fender. The fact is it's not. It's sub-par even to most Squiers. It's a poorly designed guitar and the Squier version is implemented even worse than the Fender one.

Well I more or less expect the Mustang to be better anyway.

But for the 600 dollar difference, I'd still even take the Duo-Sonic; I'm expecting to replace the pickups at some point. The Mustangs are a lot harder to get at a low price point (I've seen one used for 650 at my GC, but besides that, few are seen used.) I'm always up for reconsidering, but for a 600 dollar price difference I'm very lenient towards the Squiers.

However, if I do get a Mustang, would you recommend the '65 RI Mustangs? I heard the reissues are quality and compliment the sound of an amp.

Thanks for the good reply.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
There are two mustangs in production right now: The Classic Series '65 Reissue and the Pawn Shop Mustang Special.

Either are great choices.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi