It looks like I'm going to be playing in a band soon and I need to find a decent amp for metal.

Things I'm looking for:
- Portability: I've owned heavy amplifiers before and they're not really fun to lug around.
- 30-50 watts.
- 1x12 speakers
- American-distortion similar to Mesa Rectos.
- We'll just say around 1000$

Any recommendations?
Last edited by felenoral at Jul 25, 2011,
Peavey, for metal. Peavey is the only way... Personally I mean... I think Peavey are amazing, The Peavey Bandit 112 is a very beautiful amp. Loud, good distortion, awsome sound, good durability and easy to transport. And only 449 Australian Dollars
I think Blackstar has very good sound for soloing. I haven't heard much palming or anything done on it though.
Really? TS has a budget of a grand and he gets a reccomendation for a Blackstar HT. Gee.

TS, anything similar to a Mesa Rec will be difficult unless you get a real rec. At my local guitar center they were selling single recs for exactly $1000 but you would have to buy a cab to go with it. But if you are looking for portability a 2x12 and a head is much easier to transport than a 2x12 combo actually. 2x12 combos can really be a pain in the rear end. I suppose you could always go the 1x12 6505 combo route.

What area do you live in? you should check out your local craigslist there are always great deals to be made.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
Really? TS has a budget of a grand and he gets a reccomendation for a Blackstar HT. Gee.

TS, anything similar to a Mesa Rec will be difficult unless you get a real rec. At my local guitar center they were selling single recs for exactly $1000 but you would have to buy a cab to go with it. But if you are looking for portability a 2x12 and a head is much easier to transport than a 2x12 combo actually. 2x12 combos can really be a pain in the rear end. I suppose you could always go the 1x12 6505 combo route.

What area do you live in? you should check out your local craigslist there are always great deals to be made.

Yeah... my old 2x12 + head rig was too inconvenient for me. I was looking for a 1x12 combo amp. I just need some amp models to consider.
Maybe wait for the Bugera Trirec or whatever it's called?

Hate to be the one to do it but metal amp? 112? American voiced?.....Peavey 6505? If you're looking for that recto sag a 6505 might be too tight for your tastes though.

Also, personally I find tube 112's quite hard to lug around at times. All the weight in one box like that. I would have thought a 212 and head would be easier to transport.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
Maybe wait for the Bugera Trirec or whatever it's called?

Hate to be the one to do it but metal amp? 112? American voiced?.....Peavey 6505? If you're looking for that recto sag a 6505 might be too tight for your tastes though.

Also, personally I find tube 112's quite hard to lug around at times. All the weight in one box like that. I would have thought a 212 and head would be easier to transport.

A tighter sound is fine too. I guess solid state amps might accomodate my needs for portability. :P

But honestly saying, 112 with wheels seems easy to transport. It takes less car and apartment space!
I hate reccommending this over a real amp, but maybe something like a POD would work for you. You could easily record with it at home, and at gigs run it through a PA possibly. If size and weight is your biggets concern than it might be your best option. In all honestly you probably wont get everything your looking for easily.

Otherwise I would just try and play every amp you can find and find something that you would like that fits what your looking for.
More power than you are asking for (but for metal you really do want as much power amp headroom as you can get) but for what you want it would be hard to go past the 6505+ 1x12 combo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have a 6505+ 112 and it really is a great deal. 600 bucks and it sounds awesome. loudest single speaker combo i've ever played too. i love the thing to death. only set back is its a monster to have to carry around but put some casters on it and its not so bad. not to mention it leaves you with 400 bucks for pedals, or whatever you want.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Cool. Thanks for the replies guys! I'm also considering the engl thunder 50 and engl gigmaster 30. The pod is out of the question since I can simply use my apogee duet and logic pro 9 through the PA. It's just not as organic sounding to me is all.
Carvin V3M
Genz Benz ElDiablo 60
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune