I was Tinkering with a 6505+ Head with a Peavey Valveking Cab in guitar center today and could not for my life get any distortion out of it. I tried all the channels and was messing with the pre and post gain controls, everything. I dont really know to much about amps I just plug pedals into my Fender Frontman 65R to get my sound but after screwing with alot of the higher end amps I amp considering upgrading to, I felt like a idiot trying to dial anything in. All I got was cleans with most of the heads. Any advice on working the channels on a tube amp would be apreciated. The Frontman just has Treble bass and volume and the Drive chanels garbage.
Well first things first.

Did you have only the clean channel selected? 98% of amps have a clean and lead channel.

Your Frontman is no different. If you have the clean channel selected and you try to dial in a tone with the knobs that go with the lead/overdrive channel, nothing is gonna happen
Last edited by andrew.whocares at Jul 25, 2011,
As the man above me said, you may not have selected the distortion channel. Secondly, was your guitars volume knob turned down? I can have my distortion set to make my guitar sound like static with so much gain, but if you turn the volume on the guitar down, it'll sound clean.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
You cant get a 6505 to distort?

Most people cant get them to be clean!
Where's Waldo?
Quote by andrew.whocares
Did you have only the clean channel selected? 98% of amps have a clean and lead channel.

Quote by Abadinator
I tried all the channels and was messing with the pre and post gain controls, everything.

Perhaps the one in the store was faulty? Bad tubes, etc. Did you ask one of the sales assistants?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I have a basic Idea about Tube amps, I was screwing around with both channel but nothin. I didn't talk to a any of the people who worked there because I felt like an Idiot. I did for a second consider the tubes were bad but, it was a new floor model.
I'm so confused as to why it didn't work... hmm... It should be a matter of plugging your guitar in, turning the guitars volume up, picking the lead/overdrive channel, and the dialing in your settings...

Hmm, I've honestly got nothing D:
Probably the tubes then? would the fact I had the Preamp low effect anything? I had it low just to keep the sound down. Next time im there ill just talk to someone who works the floor
Quote by Abadinator
...would the fact I had the Preamp low effect anything? I had it low just to keep the sound down.=

This is your problem. The "Pre" is the gain control, you need to turn this up to the desired level of distortion and then control your level with the "Post" control
Quote by Waylanderau
This is your problem. The "Pre" is the gain control, you need to turn this up to the desired level of distortion and then control your level with the "Post" control

This.

"Pre Gain" on the amp is the "distortion" level, "Post Gain" is the volume.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com