okay im planning on modding my my ibanez rg2ex1(black) i'm planning on putting emg 81/85 or sd blackouts(whichever suits death core best but still has good cleans), putting really good tuners on it(money isn't an object but they have to be black hardware...i was thinking grovers but i have grovers on my bc rich mockingbird special x and the g string always goes out of tune....i need something that is reliable.....can anyone help me get the best quality stuff? does anyone know if the ibanez i have can hold a 9 volt in there?(if possible two of them i heard it makes the tone better)...is there some ibanez out there that's equivalent to what i'm modding this one to be? in black? there is no ibanez that really suits my taste either in tone, color choices, or quality.....will this thing last if i handle it right?(binding and so on) please answer....i need a guitar that suits my taste for at most 500 dollars...please someone?
well for starters either actives will be fine using 18 volts tightens up the low end some and would probably fit if you get creative and if you get tuners get locking tuners either spretzel or grover will work fine
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
well for starters either actives will be fine using 18 volts tightens up the low end some and would probably fit if you get creative and if you get tuners get locking tuners either spretzel or grover will work fine

have you had experience with this ibanez? does the binding come off? everyone telling me not to mod it because it will fall apart
i have no personal experience with that one no i do have a lower end s series and havnt had any problems with it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
ive heard the blackout are better but everyone uses emg's now what so special about them? is it possible for me to get rid of the dot inlays on the neck and get sharktooth inlays? or just keep it blank? i have about 400 to spend and im doing it my self so that saves money
The emg x series might be a better idea for you. Although I don't know how much space is in specifically your electronics cavity, the x series gives you the same tone as the the regular emgs with 18v mod, without the second battery. I use them in my ltd f250 and, after some tweaking, they're the greatest pups I've ever used.

I wouldn't be worried about binding coming off. I've had $100 guitars with it and no problems.

New inlays, HUGE pain. You're better off buying a new neck. Or (better idea imho) they make special stickers and pens that cover the old inlays and you can get them in tons of shapes (sharktooth included) its not too expensive either and easy to do.

Tuners, locking all the way. I don't know about black though... I guess look around a bit. You'll probably find something.

Pardon my huge post and good luck!
*insert witty statement here*
Quote by metalhead352
The emg x series might be a better idea for you. Although I don't know how much space is in specifically your electronics cavity, the x series gives you the same tone as the the regular emgs with 18v mod, without the second battery. I use them in my ltd f250 and, after some tweaking, they're the greatest pups I've ever used.

I wouldn't be worried about binding coming off. I've had $100 guitars with it and no problems.

New inlays, HUGE pain. You're better off buying a new neck. Or (better idea imho) they make special stickers and pens that cover the old inlays and you can get them in tons of shapes (sharktooth included) its not too expensive either and easy to do.

Tuners, locking all the way. I don't know about black though... I guess look around a bit. You'll probably find something.

Pardon my huge post and good luck!

no dud thankyou man thankyou so much please tell me more about that inlay thing....do you have any ibanez necks? or know anyone that sells them for cheap? anything but dot inlays please
http://www.inlaysticker.com/ try here. now, I've never used them and can in no way vouch for them. They very well could come off at some point. As for necks I don't have any, I do have some black locking tuners actually. I'd forgot about them. Haha. Pm me if you're interested.

Ebay usually has tons of necks etc. Just make sure it'll be compatible with your body. Unless you can fill the old neck holes and use the body to make a kind of template and *VERY* carefully drill new holes. I recommend using some kind of marker or paint to mark the neck rather than drilling into it through the body. And if you do go that route, measure the neck pocket on your guitars body or possibly you can look up measurements from ibanez and ask the seller if they don't have them up.
Last edited by metalhead352 at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by metalhead352
http://www.inlaysticker.com/ try here. now, I've never used them and can in no way vouch for them. They very well could come off at some point. As for necks I don't have any, I do have some black locking tuners actually. I'd forgot about them. Haha. Pm me if you're interested.

Ebay usually has tons of necks etc. Just make sure it'll be compatible with your body. Unless you can fill the old neck holes and use the body to make a kind of template and *VERY* carefully drill new holes. I recommend using some kind of marker or paint to mark the neck rather than drilling into it through the body. And if you do go that route, measure the neck pocket on your guitars body or possibly you can look up measurements from ibanez and ask the seller if they don't have them up.

thanks man im actually on that site now ...but they are stickers and i dont know how long they will last...is there any way i can get them permenant? without spending over 100 dollars? i dont know if all else fails i will just redo the fretboard and make it where they have no inlays...i dont know they have some cool stuff there man but i dont want to be playing and it just come undone...ummm im actually really interested in those locking nuts but its too much of a hassle to tune those things...do you know anyone that sells decent graphite nuts?
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
thanks man im actually on that site now ...but they are stickers and i dont know how long they will last...is there any way i can get them permenant? without spending over 100 dollars? i dont know if all else fails i will just redo the fretboard and make it where they have no inlays...i dont know they have some cool stuff there man but i dont want to be playing and it just come undone...ummm im actually really interested in those locking nuts but its too much of a hassle to tune those things...do you know anyone that sells decent graphite nuts?

Usually inlays are part of the fret board, so if you feel like ripping the fret wood off the neck, and replacing it, then yeah, it's not worth it, just deal with it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Usually inlays are part of the fret board, so if you feel like ripping the fret wood off the neck, and replacing it, then yeah, it's not worth it, just deal with it.

dude its possible to get it custom...if you have nothing good to say then just go away...very simple.
There is a thread on here about the inlay stickers, zakkwyldefan79 says his lasted at least a year, I don't know if they're still on his or if he took them off but that's something at least. It goes both ways though. Here's a link to the thread; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915274

I don't know how much it would cost to redo inlays, you'd likely have to replace the fretboard. Getting either a new one and cutting all the fret slots and then doing the inlays yourself (unless you find one already done) it'll be a big pain. A new neck is probably a cheaper and easier way to go. Google some luthiers around you and ask for a quote on how much for them to replace your fretboard or if they have any necks etc.

Stewmac usually has tons of parts, I'm sure they have graphite nuts.

And locking nuts and tuners are totally different just so you know.
Quote by metalhead352
There is a thread on here about the inlay stickers, zakkwyldefan79 says his lasted at least a year, I don't know if they're still on his or if he took them off but that's something at least. It goes both ways though. Here's a link to the thread; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915274

I don't know how much it would cost to redo inlays, you'd likely have to replace the fretboard. Getting either a new one and cutting all the fret slots and then doing the inlays yourself (unless you find one already done) it'll be a big pain. A new neck is probably a cheaper and easier way to go. Google some luthiers around you and ask for a quote on how much for them to replace your fretboard or if they have any necks etc.

Stewmac usually has tons of parts, I'm sure they have graphite nuts.

And locking nuts and tuners are totally different just so you know.

i know the difference between the two why wouldnt i?
relax mate, everyon'e just trying to be helpful, no need to get so defensive.

your guitar isn't really designed to be used with a locking nut, and you'd need to modify the neck to get one in there anyways. you're far better off just putting a graphite nut it and leaving it at that.

stewmac have sperzel locking tuners in black here;

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Sperzel_Trim-Lok_Guitar_Machines,_6-in-line.html

I don't know how you're going to go for battery space though. i know with my ibanez (which is an RG350, so it's front routed rather than through the rear) there was no room in the control cavity for one battery , let alone two. thankfully i was able to fit one where the middle pickup used to be. in your case, being a rear routed guitar, you'll probably have room to stick one battery in the rout in between the pots, but i have a feeling 2 may be a very tight squeeze.

hope that helps!
Terrible guitar player.
Quote by lysdexia
relax mate, everyon'e just trying to be helpful, no need to get so defensive.

your guitar isn't really designed to be used with a locking nut, and you'd need to modify the neck to get one in there anyways. you're far better off just putting a graphite nut it and leaving it at that.

stewmac have sperzel locking tuners in black here;

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Sperzel_Trim-Lok_Guitar_Machines,_6-in-line.html

I don't know how you're going to go for battery space though. i know with my ibanez (which is an RG350, so it's front routed rather than through the rear) there was no room in the control cavity for one battery , let alone two. thankfully i was able to fit one where the middle pickup used to be. in your case, being a rear routed guitar, you'll probably have room to stick one battery in the rout in between the pots, but i have a feeling 2 may be a very tight squeeze.

hope that helps!

lol sorry any yeah i dont know who said i wanted a locking nut? i just want a good one with good tuners...lol..and thankyou alot man
Sorry if I seemed like a jerk, a few posts up you'd said you were interested in the "locking nuts" I assume it was a typo...

Sperzels are great tuners by the way. I use them on the majority of my guitars.
Quote by metalhead352
Sorry if I seemed like a jerk, a few posts up you'd said you were interested in the "locking nuts" I assume it was a typo...

Sperzels are great tuners by the way. I use them on the majority of my guitars.

its alright man i apologigize to...yeah ive heard them grover and schaller tuners are the best but i have a pair of grovers on my 900 dollar bc rich mockingbird...i just dont want to get a bad pair again...i want to trust i can get my tuning 100% thats why im thinking about the nut too....still looking for necks that are less than 100 dollars...it seems like i could always find them but now apperantly they are worth half the new guitar price..lol..i dont know why
Just buy a new guitar instead of putting a bunch of money in a sub-par ax
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
If your into deathcore your best bet is a seven string since 99.5 percent of deathcore bands use sevens tuned to drop a.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Just buy a new guitar instead of putting a bunch of money in a sub-par ax

none come to my standards in tone wise, i hate everything see-through..lol you love it till you own 3 see-through guitars...i want something all white(including head stock) or all black...which ibanez doesn't sell anything like i want for 500 or less...and if they do then its a piece of crap and it doesn't hold tune that's why i'm going with modding a rg321(i gave up on the rg2) all black.. and it cost a lot cheaper than a prestige...i cant find anything in any brand to suit my taste...it sucks..lol...i hate myself for hating quilted and flamed tops because i can get a pretty good guitar if i got into them but i just cant stand them...yeah they look cool until a week later you want the black one..lol..i was going to get the sas32ex..i had it on order ready to ship and then i played it for one last time and the tuning slips every time i drop tune it..but it stays perfect standard tuning but nooo if its a dropped tuning it doesn't stay....i would get it if i had a few extra bucks to get it set up but its 5 new...nice looking guitar though
Quote by slipknot_420
If your into deathcore your best bet is a seven string since 99.5 percent of deathcore bands use sevens tuned to drop a.

ehh yeah but were going to rip death core a new a#$hole..lmao..we are like watered down death core but to heavy to fit in metal-core...lol...kind of like bmth(old) don't give me any crap everybody hates them but they had talent...so yup...no 7...and if i did i would probably go with the 7321 it looks nice
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
ehh yeah but were going to rip death core a new a#$hole..lmao..we are like watered down death core but to heavy to fit in metal-core...lol...kind of like bmth(old) don't give me any crap everybody hates them but they had talent...so yup...no 7...and if i did i would probably go with the 7321 it looks nice

New amp will rip the ass out of deathcore more than your fender frontman, i don't care what kinda pickups you put in that axe.
------

Shwiggity.
As far as inlays go, just get a router, and put some duct tape around the outline and get the inlays and drop them in there. Just use some wood glue or be really fancy and make it a little too tight and use a drop of water to keep it in.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.