Hey again UG people, It is 4:32 in the morning and i decided i would stay up, because im not tired because in unfortunetly slept in a little late today, and practice learning songs. You see, i've been playing guitar for 4 and some months. I am getting very frustrated at the fact that technique wise, im alright i suppose. My best skill is my legato and pentatonic licks. and when I "practice" all i end up doing is noodling around with those two things. I really want to apply those abilities with learning some Satriani songs really really bad, I love his music. I get most of my inspiration from him and people like chris Broderick, Gus G and Steve Vai. See....if you noticed My three favorite guitar players are Joe and Steve, kinda similar but not too much, and then I have gus g and Chris broderick who are also 2 very different shreddy players. So I have a liking for instrumental music that makes more sense to me and I love to death, but at the same time, i'm really into the shreddy stuff because of some of the legato licks i know in the higher register that remind me of things from the Megadeth album United Abominations. So right there my musical goals are confusing eachother because in one day, ill wake up and listen to Joe and be like, yeah thats what I love, thats the kind of music that is my thing.....a few hours later....I'll listen to Firewind or Megadeth or something and i'll say the same thing. so my mind doesn't know what path to take, so when i go to learn songs, i loose interest and just give up because my interest changes back and forth so i can never ever learn a song. the embarassing part is that I don't know any songs at all. Maybe little tid bits here and there, but i cant play one song at least half way. It makes me feel like i suck really really bad, i'm about to just quit because i feel as if theres no hope. I've been playing for 4 years as i said earlier so i'm very frustrated. if anyone has any advice i would be very very very appreciative. thank you guys. i really need someones help very bad.
Back to the basic. Choose the music you like most. Pick one song that you like most. Keep practicing it.

Otherwise, just learn all the music you like. There's no rule saying you have to go one way or the other.
Learn easier songs, ones more appropriate to your skill level.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Are you taking lessons?

When I first played guitar I thought I wouldn't need lessons, but a good tutor can really a) find your weaknesses get the out of the way as a weakness
b) motivate you to practice that one riff, song, solo, whatever
c) find new stuff for you play (be it songs, chords, scales, modes, etc.)

If you already take lessons, don't have the money or do not want to for som obscure reason, I suggest you make it a challenge for yourself or find some other motivation. Example: A friend of mine loved this song a lot and I thought it was nice to play so I learned it for my friend, just to see them smile
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
...is it four years or four months?

You could always force yourself to learn certain songs. If you want to achieve something specific, you simply can't expect to not put the effort in. It kinda brings in an ethical issue of "you need to enjoy the music maaaaaaaaaaan, you feel it, it's not a chore", but not everything is fun, unfortunately.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
You've been playing for 4 months.

What do you expect exactly for that short of time? You got a long ways to go, be prepared for the long haul...because 4 months isn't anything. You arent close to catching up to people that have been in the game and functioning at a high level degree for 10-15 years.

I think you have set unrealistic short term expectations for yourself.

I agree with others, about lessons. I also do mentor guitarists for free, and if I can help you establish goals etc just drop me a line. You are definitely not beyond saving.

Remember don't let your tastes in music block your own potential for progress.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
You've been playing for 4 months.

Although he made a massive typo in the beginning, near the end of his post he specifies it's 4 years, not months.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Sorry, I didn't notice my mess up there. I've been playing for 4 years and 3 months now
You need to learn basic theory first, learn your chords, and notes, then you should move onto the shred crap, otherwise, you're going to regret it, and it will hinder you in the future.

It takes alot longer than 4 months to be able to shred to any degree of skill.