Hi,

I'm trying to teach a friend how to play the guitar and so far I've taught him the basics like guitar chords etc...

I want to now teach him some easy songs where he can use what he has learned (ie. basic chords) and actually play something with them.

I'm thinking about teaching him the following..

1. Wild Thing by The Troggs
2. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
3. Good Riddance by Green Day

Any other suggestions???

EDIT: I'm looking for songs with simple chord 3 - 5 chord songs that have simple chord progressions too.
Last edited by Paul Bright at Jul 25, 2011,
Fire Water Burn - Bloodhound Gang
**** Her Gently - Tenacious D
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

NOT Smoke on the Water

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train (opening riff [don't tell me its too hard {I did it after a week or two}])
Jeff Loomis - Miles of Machines...... Juuust kidding.
Where's Waldo?
Blister in The Sun by the Violent Femmes
Zombie by The Cranberries
American Pie by Don McLean
(Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones
I just realized my songs are quite obscene Makes them such good campfire songs.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by chadreed32
NOT Smoke on the Water

Why not?

maybe some easy metallica stuff. Like For Whom the Bell Tolls
Knocking on Heavens door is pretty easy - G D C all the way. Also Every Rose Has It's Thorn, same 3 chords most of the way through.

There are literally 100s of songs out there which use fairly basic chord progressions, I'd recommend finding 4 or 5 which are all in different keys so he gets used to playing and changing between as many chords as possible without trying anything too complex.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Smells like teen spirit. If he can't handle that, he should quit or start practicing for real

Enter Sandman intro riff is nice, actually the whole rhythm section isn't too hard..

And some chords? ;-)
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Quote by TuningGamer
Enter Sandman intro riff is nice, actually the whole rhythm section isn't too hard..

I think the palm muting in the rhythm section can throw beginners off. I'd say Enter Sandman is a good song a few weeks in.
Quote by triface
I think the palm muting in the rhythm section can throw beginners off. I'd say Enter Sandman is a good song a few weeks in.

In my opinion 'a few weeks in' is also a beginner, but you're right, you'd have to build it up. Still a nice song to learn rhythm chops from! Good for timing, IMO.
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Another good tip would be to ask what songs he wants to learn....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by TripleN666
Why not?

Because its the first song everybody learns, and it doesn't really have any techniques that would help him learn much, and plus - he will most likely learn it on the low E string, which is wrong.

Aside from that, Enter Sandman is easy, same as For Whom the Bell Tolls.

What type of music is he into though?
Where's Waldo?
Veil Of Maya - We Bow In Its Aura

Born Of Osiris - Follow The Sign

SiKth - Way Beyond The Fond Old River

Have fun.
Quote by GaryHB
Knocking on Heavens door is pretty easy - G D C all the way. Also Every Rose Has It's Thorn, same 3 chords most of the way through.

There are literally 100s of songs out there which use fairly basic chord progressions, I'd recommend finding 4 or 5 which are all in different keys so he gets used to playing and changing between as many chords as possible without trying anything too complex.

This is exactly the type of stuff I was after. Songs with 3 - 5 chords that have simple progressions.
Actually, smoke on the water has a great guitar solo that isn't too hard to learn, just because its over played doesn't mean its a great song to learn. Other good ones are Breaking the Law and Livin' after Midnight by Judas Priest; Seek and Destroy by Metallica, lots of the classic ACDC stuff.
paranoid is easy i am working on the guitar solo right now it is in drop d at least the lesson i took waas in drop d for blusey people sunshine of your love
Couple songs I've been working on since I am a "beginner":

Bring It On Home - Led Zeppelin
Your Love - The Outfield

I thought Bring it on home was good since there's really no "lead" to speak of, but it's fun and, well, it's a Zep song!

The Outfield song I found to be a good rhythm piece and the "lead" is super easy.