Hey guys, I am looking into finally getting an EC-1000 as I figure it's better deal than a 401. On Musicians Friend it Cost 850 dollars, while here:http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-ESP-Ltd-EC-1000QM-ST-Black-Cherry-guitar-Unplayed-/120753348374?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1d75df16 It only costs 699. I don't have all the money in the world, what would you guys recommend?
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Jul 25, 2011,
I don't really recommend buying anywhere online, as shipping companies don't give a dead moose's last shit about your product. So you're more than likely to receive something damaged, or needing intensive setup.
Where's Waldo?
The thing is, I live in Sweden and here they slap 25% sales tax on everything, so if I where to purchase one here it would be around 1500 dollars.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Buy one used from somebody directly (on classifieds or something)

Oh and by the way, I'm going to be grabbing one in that same color soon, can't wait.
Where's Waldo?
Wait, even if I get it insured and all?
Quote by luxeion

So you want insurance? Unless you plan on dropping it out the window, I don't know why you'd need it.
Where's Waldo?
I mean shipping insurance, sorry for the mix up. The thing is, I'd be ordering it to a relative in the states, and fedexing or DHLing it over here.
Quote by luxeion

Well, I don't know if you have classifieds in Sweden, but that's when people post a product, and you go to their house and try it out, and then buy it. You can get EC-1000s for around 500-600 like that.

Edit:

I mean shipping insurance, sorry for the mix up. The thing is, I'd be ordering it to a relative in the states, and fedexing or DHLing it over here.

Is it for you or the relative? Lets sort some stuff out here first, give me some details.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 25, 2011,
shipping on it will be $125 so it really isnt much difference in price. Go with musicians friend and if something happens, you can send it back no questions asked
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
shipping companies don't give a dead moose's last shit about your product

This isn't true - unless you're using some dodgy 'man in a van' service, the delivery of your item will be fully insured as part of the courier service.

Loads of professional guitar shops run their business through ebay, if that's the best deal, go for it.

Remember, you only hear about the horror stories of buying on ebay, these probably count for less than 0.01% of the total transactions that happen through that site everyday, but who wants to talk about the 99.99% of deals which go as planned? They aren't interesting, so nobody tells stories about them.

I've bought loads of kit off ebay and other online sites, I've never had a problem. Just make sure you check the feedback rating of whoever you're buying from, so long as they have a decent amount of good comments, you will be fine to buy from them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Wait, even if I get it insured and all?

You are aware that importing such a high value product will involve import taxes and all that? You're in a European country if I'm right (I'm in Holland ) and the EU is quite the self-protecting Union, so you'll be paying both regular VAT (tax) and Import tax, with some bad luck. And if you buy it in a shop you'll have more service and a more likely to get a real warranty..

TL;DR: You might have bad luck with import tax and it's never that safe to import from the other half of the globe.. (the money back thing is seven days from the day you receive the guitar, but shipping it back takes more than 7 days, I promise you)
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
The thing is, I'd be ordering it to a relative in the states, and fedexing or DHLing it over here

Also be careful about doing that - when you're shipping something from overseas, the delivery costs don't always cover any import taxes, so make sure you check these out and know exactly what you're going to pay.

If you're shipping it to a relative in the US, when they send it to you get them to mark it as a 'gift', that often avoids the import taxes, but not always.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryHB

Remember, you only hear about the horror stories of buying on ebay, these probably count for less than 0.01% of the total transactions that happen through that site everyday, but who wants to talk about the 99.99% of deals which go as planned? They aren't interesting, so nobody tells stories about them.

I've bought loads of kit off ebay and other online sites, I've never had a problem. Just make sure you check the feedback rating of whoever you're buying from, so long as they have a decent amount of good comments, you will be fine to buy from them.

Agreed. 6 of my 7 electric guitars have been bought off ebay. my 7th a friend gave me XD

They are all amazing. I definitely do my research (pics/feedback/description) before buying, and so long as you do that, chances are you won't be disappointed.

A few red flags (things to watch out for):
-Seller uses stock photo of guitar (pointless, as if I'm searching for the guitar I probably have seen stock photos, I want to see the actual guitar I'm going to buy!)
-Seller has low or negative feedback (low feedback isn't bad, just means they haven't sold a lot, but lots of feedback is obviously > low amounts)
-Seller doesn't explain much in description
-Not very good pictures of the guitar (I like to generally message seller and ask for better/more pics, and often times they email me more pics). If the pics flat out suck and don't really let you see the guitar, then I won't buy/bid if I'm not flat out convinced there's nothing strange or messed up about the guitar.

And just message the seller if you have any questions! If the seller doesn't respond, there's a chance he/she's not the kind of seller you want to be buying from anyway.

-edit: Have you checked Craigslist ads? You get both the advantage of a lower price, plus the ability to physically see and play the guitar for yourself.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 25, 2011,
The guitar is for me, my mom says that sales tax and all does not apply if labeled as a gift. Actually there is a difference, off of ebay it would be around 825 dollars in total, while of of MF it would be 975 dollars, which unless my parents chip in will too expensive for me.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
The guitar is for me, my mom says that sales tax and all does not apply if labeled as a gift. Actually there is a difference, off of ebay it would be around 825 dollars in total, while of of MF it would be 975 dollars, which unless my parents chip in will too expensive for me.

Im pretty sure being classed as a gift only works up until a certain valve, around £75 in the UK i think. So that wouldn't work. I did quite a lot of looking into trying to find a way around sales tax, in short there's nothing legal.
Unless you say it's worth less, maybe say it's a JD Brothers guitar or something.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Unless you say it's worth less, maybe say it's a JD Brothers guitar or something.

And then if it gets checked then you lose your money, guitar and have to share a cell with a guy named Butch because of tax evasion.
That doesn't sound good at all. have gotta check those taxes.
Quote by luxeion

check with the shipping agent in your country or look it up online as far as the rules and regulations. in many cases if shipped from a residential address then you may get away with the gift thing. now the big thing to think about is how long is the return policy from where you are buying it from and whether they would take it back after it's been shipped overseas. chances are they won't (many places won't take returns if shipped directly overseas either, once it leaves the country it's out of their control and they don't feel at that point is is their responsibility).
And then if it gets checked then you lose your money, guitar and have to share a cell with a guy named Butch because of tax evasion.

This.
Also, if you had said it was a worthless guitar to avoid the taxes, shipping insurance would only cover the value you declared, so if something went wrong you'd wouldn't be covered.

If you're going to do it, be honest.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud