Hey everyone, I was wondering, do any of you have tips on how to improve my sense of rhythm. I can play with some rhythm, but it's still mostly on straight beats and such, I cant seem to go off beat and play different stuff. For example, when trying to play Give it Away (RHCP) I keep screwing up the riff. So any tips? Thanks!
In one of the threads a few months ago, somebody suggested that you use a metronome, and then make it a game to play everything off beat. Maybe you could try that? If anything, it would help with your off-beat timing.
That sounds pretty different, haha but i dont own that. It does sound plausible though.
Quote by jackdude500
this may sound stupid but drums on guitar hero are very helpful with improving rhythm

that's not at all stupid-- i teach several instruments at a music school; drums being one of them. i always tell my drum students that rock band or guitar hero, while virtually useless for guitar practice, are extremely effective for drum practice.

my advice is to learn music notation (if you really can't be bothered, just learn rhythmic notation). then you can practice any possible rhythm. it's actually very effective.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by Weijie1996
Hey everyone, I was wondering, do any of you have tips on how to improve my sense of rhythm. I can play with some rhythm, but it's still mostly on straight beats and such, I cant seem to go off beat and play different stuff. For example, when trying to play Give it Away (RHCP) I keep screwing up the riff. So any tips? Thanks!

Which riff is giving you trouble? And if its the verse, are you picking the single notes?
Last edited by alairson22 at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf
that's not at all stupid-- i teach several instruments at a music school; drums being one of them. i always tell my drum students that rock band or guitar hero, while virtually useless for guitar practice, are extremely effective for drum practice.

I dabble in drums (I put them aside to focus on electric guitar and piano), but the only thing I have to practice on is a drum pad. It's a box with 7 heads on it that trigger sampled sounds. It's not much more than a rock band drum kit in all honesty, and it's not like I didn't get better at drumming (and rhythm in general) by playing on it.

If you can't count out rhythms, start figuring some out. Listen to your favorite songs and start transcribing the rhythm of individual sections. If you're not playing much syncopated music, then it's time to work on it. Ska/reggae, hip-hop and funk are all heavily syncopated styles you could explore.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.