well i own a 15watt marshall amp for bedroom practice , its pretty decent , until i connect it into my computer for recording , it comes out sounding like an old man having constipation .

my question is , is my amp at fault ? i tried plugging my headphones to the amp and it sounds kinda crappy , but to a lesser degree.

or isit the cable?

and if i buy an effects processor with amp modulation , will it still sound like crap?
I think it might be because the signal is coming straight from your pre-amp into the computer rather than through the speaker driver in the amp

I don't think anythings at fault equipment wise
Try running it through a software cabinet simulator, the signal from the head unit is always horrible and fuzzy until it's run through a cab.

I think Guitar Rig 4 offers a month trial or something, just run it through that with the cabinet simulator in there (but nothing else)

Hope that helps.
Periphery, love that shit!
inadequate sound card - possibly

crappy amp - probably
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I had the same problem, and being a poor student all those costly mic's and soundcards were out of question.

So this is what I did:
I had a cheap Zoom g1, even that sounds crappy on computer when I turn on the distortion. so instead what I did is, i made a patch on Zoom G1, with all effects and distortion ,eq turned off, just noise gate activated, and just turn on booster. now I feed the clean guitar signal to computer and record everything on clean. and latter apply effects using Guitar Rig.
and sound quality is kickass.
TS, if you have problems, don't mention the fact that you have a Marshall MG or you won't get any answers.

I'm assuming you're connecting your amp to the mic input on your computer? Yeah, that won't really work; your computer's soundcard isn't meant to take those kinds of signals. What you need is some sort of interface or DI box. I suggest asking this in Guitar Gear & Accessories or Recording to get more answers

Good luck
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I think it was in an interview with Andy Sneap where I read 'As soon as you plug into an amp that's the last time you're dealing with something designed to make you sound good' (Paraphrasing).

It's probably a combonation of a number of factors, the number one likely being the sound card of your computer simply isn't made with this sort of thing in mind. Also bear in mind that the speaker has a significant effect on your tone. As Joe4 said, the fact your signal isn't going through the speaker will have an impact and as AvengedESP mentioned cabinet simulation might help with that somewhat.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I think it's funny how people (read: dumbasses) automatically say it's because you have an MG...
Like it's some kind of natural reflex amp snobs have anymore.

As already pointed out, plugging straight into your computer is not the way to do it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I think it's funny how people (read: dumbasses) automatically say it's because you have an MG...
Like it's some kind of natural reflex amp snobs have anymore.

As already pointed out, plugging straight into your computer is not the way to do it.

The MG15 does not have a line out. It has a cabinet simulated headphone out.
So cab sims are not needed.
Its the amps natural shit tone.

If tis a sound card problem, its gonna be even shittier.

Ive had an MG. Its crap. Plain and simple.
yeah ive been with this amp for years now , never seen a reason to get rid of it though , since im just a casual player. but by the year's end im planning to get an effect processor , most likely a POD HD500.

since all im doing is bedroom practice , do you advice changing my amp to a more suitable cab? or leave it?
Quote by noobkerpal
yeah ive been with this amp for years now , never seen a reason to get rid of it though , since im just a casual player. since all im doing is bedroom practice , do you advice changing my amp to a more suitable cab? or leave it?

Think you answered your own question. Don't spend money replacing something which you don't have a problem with, just because other people don't like it! I would say 3/4 of the MG bashers here have never tried one and just jump on the bandwagon.

Also if I did that I'd have bought like 4 new guitars.
wow that came out kinda wrong , my real question is :

will the tone/overall sound of an MFX processor with amp modulation differ if its going through a 15watt amp compared to something better ( like a 75 watt mesa boogie cab? (loliuno) if im playing at bedroom level?
Quote by noobkerpal
wow that came out kinda wrong , my real question is :

will the tone/overall sound of an MFX processor with amp modulation differ if its going through a 15watt amp compared to something better ( like a 75 watt mesa boogie cab? (loliuno) if im playing at bedroom level?

your sound will only be as good as your amp/speakers are able to produce. you can't just run a MFX unit into a cab it has to have a power section to run the cab.
Quote by noobkerpal
yeah ive been with this amp for years now , never seen a reason to get rid of it though , since im just a casual player. but by the year's end im planning to get an effect processor , most likely a POD HD500.

since all im doing is bedroom practice , do you advice changing my amp to a more suitable cab? or leave it?

Your POD will sound good through the computer, assuming your computer speakers are good.

On a budget, I say get a keyboard amp if you want to use modelling.
If your budget is looser, I suggest something like the Atomic powered FRFR cabs.