http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzplfSZ0ph4

I'd like to pick like Zacky V at around 39 seconds. I don't know how, though. Do I need to set my guitar strap at a certain lenghth, how do I practice those "swings" effectively??

I know this is an amazingly nooby question, but I've never gotten around to figuring it out..
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Jul 25, 2011,
He's just downpicking power chords. If you have a fairly good control of your guitar and picking hand, you should be able to do it easily.

But if you want to practice start slow with little swings and gradually increase them.
Just picked power chords but do what's comfortable.. if you purposely mimic someone like that but it's uncomfortable you're really going to hinder your playing.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Last edited by Bryc3e at Jul 25, 2011,
Okay, sounds easy enough..Right now I have my hand resting on the bridge.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I'm assuming you're a beginner. I remember i always wanted to be able to strum like that and look cool with that "swinging" motion. I ended up just ignoring it because it felt weird.. Now i'm more of an intermediate player and i just do that swinging naturally. If i were you i wouldn't even worry about it. Once you get more control in your strumming hand you'll start to get into the music and play with more movement like zacky v does there just naturally.
Well, I've been playing for a year and a half, I don't consider myself such a beginner, but if you say so What do you advise practicing to get better at it? I am playing Beast and The Harlot now. The Sevenfold guys are my heroes.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
The Sevenfold guys are my heroes.

Im so sorry for you

Hope you get cured soon, but Obama probably ruined your chance...
Where's Waldo?
What, aren't they good guitarists? They make music I want to play. Everyone's got their own tastes.
Quote by luxeion

Don't listen to the crazy right wing person. Avenged Sevenfold has some good stuff and synyster? gates is great at making solos. Just not everyone is a fan of his tone. The solo that taught me muting/bending/vibrato control was actually "sieze the day"... great solo with lots of feeling, love the pinch at the end.
Quote by hansome21
Don't listen to the crazy right wing person. Avenged Sevenfold has some good stuff and synyster? gates is great at making solos. Just not everyone is a fan of his tone. The solo that taught me muting/bending/vibrato control was actually "sieze the day"... great solo with lots of feeling, love the pinch at the end.

lol everybody takes everything so seriously now days.
Where's Waldo?
Dw bro they're my heroes too. The LBC dvd actually made me pick up a guitar. lol so many people are gonna rage at me for that one.
I wouldn't necessarily practise anything to get better at it.
is it really all that important? :s
Quote by vayne92
so many people are gonna rage at me for that one.

ALL CAPS RAGE!
Where's Waldo?
Quote by StrykVladzimsky
The Sevenfold guys are my heroes.

Good call!

Also, the rhythm for Chapter Four is a good song to learn earlier on.
Love that song
Quote by luxeion