So since i'm moving to uni and need a smaller setup I figured I'd get a smaller amp. I've narrowed my choice to these 3 as they're the only ones that my local stores actually have in to test but i'm not sure which one to go for.

The current setup would be my customized Les Paul Custom (double cutaway) with Seymour Duncan Blackouts going into either my Boss GT-8 or my Michael Angelo Batio signature overdrive and Morley Power Wah, then going into one of the amps above.

The stuff I play, and sound i'm looking for, is similar to Mark Tremonti's from Alter Bridge. So good overdrive and good cleans is effectively a must.

Based on features, sound and value, which do you guys think I should get?

EDIT: Does an effects loop really effect the resulting sound much? Or better yet, what does it actually do?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Last edited by Niiko at Jul 25, 2011,
Hey man, all of those amps are great, all very versatile. I personally own a Blackstar HT-5 and love it, but now I'm buying an Axe-Fx II and as a result, I won't need it anymore. The cleans on the Blackstar are very pristine and warm. The gain side of things is also pretty damn versatile too. Can pull off some nice crunch, and when you wack an overdrive in front, you can even pull off some higher gain metal tones if you want too. On top of that, it can do bedroom levels and sound good. If you wanted to take it to a practice, it packs enough volume to get over a drummer with ease.

I'm selling my HT-5 with a 112 cabinet for $450. Perfect condition. They sell brand new together for roughly 550-600. Take a look man.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464042

I might come across as a bit biased because I'm trying to sell mine, but wait to see what other people think, I'm sure you'll find they agree with me.
the effects loop is useful if you're using delays/modulations/eq..
i can't remember the exact technical side but for example with a delay you get much better repeats and overall it enhances your overall sound having the fx loop.. (if it's used)

i've owned a ht5, played a tiny terror alot and only heard a marshall
personally i think having the 2 channel ht5 and because its quiter (5w) it wins for me..

the tiny terror is really sweet for a crunch sound, i wouldn't say it's great for leads..

then again if you're using a multi fx for your sounds the marshall maybe ok as your dry signal.. ?

if it was me it'd be ht5.
what's your budget? home use or gigs or both? are you willing to buy online?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's like:

Guitar - tuner, od, distortion - Amp preamp - effect loop send - eq, reverb, delay etc - effect loop return - Amp poweramp - speakers

if you want mini, get a minimat
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
^ yep. the fx loop is normally between the preamp and poweramp, so you can put modulation and time-based effects after (preamp) distortion.

if you mainly play with the amp clean, or use a lot of power amp distortion, you don't really need a loop. if you use a lot of preamp distortion and don't like the sound of mod/time-based fx before distortion, they're very useful. EDIT: they're also useful, as you said, for eq or for getting a volume boost out of a clean boost pedal (into the front of the amp, unless the amp is completely clean, it's normally more of an overdrive boost).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yep. the fx loop is normally between the preamp and poweramp, so you can put modulation and time-based effects after (preamp) distortion.

if you mainly play with the amp clean, or use a lot of power amp distortion, you don't really need a loop. if you use a lot of preamp distortion and don't like the sound of mod/time-based fx before distortion, they're very useful. EDIT: they're also useful, as you said, for eq or for getting a volume boost out of a clean boost pedal (into the front of the amp, unless the amp is completely clean, it's normally more of an overdrive boost).

this ^^

i meant this in my post..
on my fx loop it can give a 10db boost... can be useful
If you have a gt8. Get a set of good headphones instead. Your house mates might not take too keenly to you playing and you can't ever get loud anyway. If you need to have it louder hook up to a stereo or something.

Also pics of your Gibson?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
If you have a gt8. Get a set of good headphones instead. Your house mates might not take too keenly to you playing and you can't ever get loud anyway. If you need to have it louder hook up to a stereo or something.

Also pics of your Gibson?

Just don't buy anything too expensive
Tom knows it, he is the expert ( sorry tommie )

+1 @ pics of the LP
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
ah yeah that's a good point tom. in that case, though, certainly the class 5 is gonna be too loud (unless you get the newer version with the attenuator).

Quote by daverichards
this ^^

i meant this in my post..
on my fx loop it can give a 10db boost... can be useful

no worries, i wasn't meaning your post was wrong or anything. just when i saw tunder's post above mine it reminded me that he'd asked how fx loops work
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 25, 2011,
I see.

I normally just stick my GT-8 in front of my amp and use the amp reverb. But I heard you get a nicer distortion/lead tone by using it in an effects loop. Is that wrong?

And the amp will be my main "away from home" amp as I'm not taking my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with me. I'm not keen on sticking headphones in my GT-8 though I've done so before and didn't like the feeling of not being able to hear little to nothing from outside the headphones even with low volume.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
I see.

I normally just stick my GT-8 in front of my amp and use the amp reverb. But I heard you get a nicer distortion/lead tone by using it in an effects loop. Is that wrong?

And the amp will be my main "away from home" amp as I'm not taking my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with me. I'm not keen on sticking headphones in my GT-8 though I've done so before and didn't like the feeling of not being able to hear little to nothing from outside the headphones even with low volume.

try one headphone in and the other not, then you can still talk to other people and hear what is going on
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Here you go man, I just did a tone demo with it. Just showing how metal it can sound.
All I've got running in front of it is a Bad Monkey OD Pedal with the gain completely down.

Excuse the rough playing!
Blackstar HT-5 Tone Demo
Quote by Mauzer1337
Here you go man, I just did a tone demo with it. Just showing how metal it can sound.
All I've got running in front of it is a Bad Monkey OD Pedal with the gain completely down.

Excuse the rough playing!
Blackstar HT-5 Tone Demo

Dude that's epic, thanks for that.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Mauzer1337
Thanks man! I think it sounds kinda like a mesa dual rec. I think.

Sigged.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Sigged.

Rofl, I haven't had much experience with other amps, cut me some slack. :P
Dont buy an Axe then, for the same money.... buy a mesa

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i'm actually tempted to not buy an amp and wait until the Bugera Trirec comes out
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Yeah dude, what I'd do is invest in some good headphones or even something like the Tech 21 Power Engine if I wanted to do gigs. Modelers can sound good, but playing through most guitar amps will make them sound pretty horrible. I'd just play the modeler thru something neutral like the headphones or power engine (pretty cheap) and save up for bigger and badder things.
CheapGuitarists.com - new site for the budget minded or beginner guitarist!

"He who hath pizza shall never die in vain" ~ Lord Cheesus Crust