Poll: Should men be able to help decide on an abortion?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should men be able to help decide on an abortion?
Yes
173 75%
No
34 15%
Undecided
24 10%
Voters: 231.
Page 1 of 7
Should men be able to have part of the decision to choose abortion? I was thinking about this because when a child is born then the father has to deal with a big burden for 18 years. The father (if he's with the mother) has to feed, shelter, clothe, and provide an education for the child. So I'm wondering if men should have a say in this matter. I think that men should be able to have some more say in the matter (from a legal standpoint I mean).

Before anyone says no, I want you to think about it like this; a lot of us will say that the mother should be able to terminate the pregnancy because of the burden of carrying a child for 9 months, and I think it's fair to say that the father normally has a big burden on his shoulders as well.

There will be a poll up in a moment.

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"

(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 25, 2011,
I've always maintained that if a father requests that she get an abortion and is denied, then he should be legally freed from any responsibilities towards the child.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I've always maintained that if a father requests that she get an abortion and is denied, then he should be legally freed from any responsibilities towards the child.

This is a pretty good idea.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I agree with both SG Dave and StewieSwan.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by StewieSwan

You have a good point. This would also keep a lot of children from having to grow up in an unhappy home because the father was forced to take a on a responsibility that he never wanted.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I saw that one person voted no on the poll, and I would like to hear why you're against this.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
You have a good point. This would also keep a lot of children from having to grow up in an unhappy home because the father was forced to take a on a responsibility that he never wanted.

There are some holes to it, though, I'll admit. For instance, say the woman gets pregnant, the father requests and abortion, and she has to turn him down because she can't afford it. The father could be legally freed from child support and shit and leave the woman in even worse financial shape than she's already in.
Quote by StewieSwan
There are some holes to it, though, I'll admit. For instance, say the woman gets pregnant, the father requests and abortion, and she has to turn him down because she can't afford it. The father could be legally freed from child support and shit and leave the woman in even worse financial shape than she's already in.

If the father decides that he doesn't want to be burdened with the responsibility of taking care of a child then I think it would be fair for him to pay for the abortion (if the woman agrees to it).

Edit:

I think I should explain a little better. This is only if the woman isn't able to pay for it herself. If she chooses to get an abortion on her own then the father shouldn't be burdened with having to pay for it if he had no say.
You're also forgetting that adoption is still an option, so even if the father wanted an abortion, and the woman couldn't afford it then she could still give the baby to a family that is willing to provide for it.
Quote by L2112Lif
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Jul 25, 2011,
Yeah. I helped decide on one. But we agreed anyway.

I think.

Who knows man, it's a tricky subject.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by SG_dave
Help decide, yes.
Make the final decision, no.

This
RIP Gooze

cats
no, it's his own fault he knocked her up so he has to accept his responsibilities.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
If the father decides that he doesn't want to be burdened with the responsibility of taking care of a child then I think it would be fair for him to pay for the abortion (if the woman agrees to it).

Edit:

I think I should explain a little better. This is only if the woman isn't able to pay for it herself. If she chooses to get an abortion on her own then the father shouldn't be burdened with having to pay for it if he had no say.
You're also forgetting that adoption is still an option, so even if the father wanted an abortion, and the woman couldn't afford it then she could still give the baby to a family that is willing to provide for it.

I think the difficulty in discussing adoption as an option is the bond that can develop between the mother and child after birth.

I know several people who've had children that said that they didn't feel like they would bond with the child, but as soon as it was born, they had an emotional attachment to the child.

Quote by guitarage
no, it's his own fault he knocked her up so he has to accept his responsibilities.

Equally, it's her fault for choosing to have sex, so what's your point?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Last edited by metacarpi at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by guitarage

It's her own fault that she opened up her legs and decided to have sex with him. They both played an equal part in becoming pregnant, and they both share a massive burden.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by metacarpi
I think the difficulty in discussing adoption as an option is the bond that can develop between the mother and child after birth.

I know several people who've had children that said that they didn't feel like they would bond with the child, but as soon as it was born, they had an emotional attachment to the child.

I was speaking to a woman a few days ago, and she basically said the same thing. I disagree with keeping a child just because of the emotional attachment just for the fact that emotional attachment isn't the only thing that allows a child to grow up with a stable childhood.
Quote by L2112Lif
I remember last time this discussion happened...kinda glad I'm on my iPhone for the next week and not my computer. I think that the decision should be left up to the mother as it's her body.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
I remember last time this discussion happened...kinda glad I'm on my iPhone for the next week and not my computer. I think that the decision should be left up to the mother as it's her body.

But it's also the father that has to support the child for 18 years, so why should only the mother have the only say in the matter if it doesn't only affect her?
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I was speaking to a woman a few days ago, and she basically said the same thing. I disagree with keeping a child just because of the emotional attachment just for the fact that emotional attachment isn't the only thing that allows a child to grow up with a stable childhood.

I completely agree, I'm just saying that it adds yet another complexity into the issue.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

I think that if you both make it your both involved but you cant make the final decision.
although i also think if a girl wants to keep a baby and the bloke doesn't then she shouldn't expect financial support.
I don't know, maybe a power of veto or something. I don't think the dad should be able to just tap out of the whole thing, but then again, I think they should just get the damn abortion or put the kid in adoption if they aren't able to provide a decent childhood.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
It's her own fault that she opened up her legs and decided to have sex with him. They both played an equal part in becoming pregnant, and they both share a massive burden.

You only talked about the guy, I think it's the same for both men and woman. but from a legal point I don't he should have any say over the girl and be able to get out his responsbilities that easily.. I think they should only abort if they both agree on it. All im saying is that he can't use the fact he is going to have a big burdon to carry as an excuse as it was his fault he got into that position in the first place.
Quote by guitarage
You only talked about the guy, I think it's the same for both men and woman. but from a legal point I don't he should have any say over the girl and be able to get out his responsbilities that easily.. I think they should only abort if they both agree on it. All im saying is that he can't use the fact he is going to have a big burdon to carry as an excuse as it was his fault he got into that position in the first place.

From the other side of that argument, why can the woman expect support from the man? it's her fault she got into that position in the first place.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

I voted "Yes". The man can have a say but not force/have the final word on the abortion.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by StewieSwan

I've always thought this. However the woman should have the final decision.
No. The man should not have a say in it or be freed from having to pay child support. It takes two to make a baby and if you don't want to support the child, keep your dick in your pants.
Quote by T.s.e
No. The man should not have a say in it or be freed from having to pay child support. It takes two to make a baby and if you don't want to support the child, keep your dick in your pants.

You admit that it takes two to have a baby, and then proceed to blame the guy in the very next part of your sentence. Smart.
Quote by StewieSwan

I came in here to say this. Since it's been said, I'll just leave before the almighty shit tornado hits.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I came in here to say this. Since it's been said, I'll just leave before the almighty shit tornado hits.

Ew..

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by T.s.e

I agree with the child support, but if they are together the man should be able to say no or yes
Quote by Gorelord666
Ew..

I think it's a fairly accurate metaphor for the impending argument.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
The think the law has it right. Look at the statistics of single parents. Only 20% are men. The man contributes the sperm and that is it. The woman is left with the baby and the MASSIVE commitment of taking care of the child. So the man sends money each month? Big ****ing deal. The woman has to live with another person for nine months and deal with all the health issues.
Quote by StewieSwan
You admit that it takes two to have a baby, and then proceed to blame the guy in the very next part of your sentence. Smart.

I'm not "blaming the guy". I'm just saying that both parents should provide for the child since both parents obviously took part in making it.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

I think it's a fairly accurate metaphor for the impending argument.

True, but that reminded me of that one poop from Friday that smelled so bad that I almost puked...

Quote by due 07

I make music sometimes.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
But it's also the father that has to support the child for 18 years, so why should only the mother have the only say in the matter if it doesn't only affect her?

Someone has to take the compromise, I think the burden of welfare is pretty negligible to the apparent health concerns of the mother. I'm pretty fine with the way it is now with mandated child welfare.
yo.

I BELIEVE