Morning all!

Ive been lurking here on UG a while, and I see you have some pretty knowledgeable people here but I have a dilemma that isn't quite covered here. Please bear with me.

I've been playing for about 9 years, I feel like I've learned a little bit of everything. For example, I know some box scale types (blues scales?) I am like your typical guitar player - I live on and love youtube! Its the best resource ever. I also like Justin guitar and Ive been kearning from that.

The problem is, i feel like Ive exhausted everything. I am just not progressing. I have learned a lot, but, at the same time its like Ive really not grown. Im becoming increasingly frustrated because I have so little to show for everything Ive played and watched. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Im not sure that im expressing myself well here.

I think I understand theory but Im not sure. Maybe someone here knows what I'm getting at.

Thanks!

Adam
Well, the only advice I can give you is that whenever you watch a video in youtube explaining something, try to replicate it on your guitar and play around with it. Learning theory without being able to take advantage of it makes you an unhappy guitarist with knowledge of all scales and progression but little experience of making music out of them.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I guess that's the problem I'm having. I learn bits and pieces and i feel like I'm understanding but then I pick up my Gibson, and I don't really "get" it. I am wanting to hear it in my playing but when I play, its as if I haven't learned anything. Its sort of like having the information but not the understanding to use it.

I have thought about maybe taking lessons but I live in a remote area of SC and there's not much to choose from here. Does anyone here have a similar experience and if so wat did you do?
Just play. Don't think. Learn some songs you enjoy, or write a few, and just sit and play them. Make them sound good. There isn't a Youtube video in the world that can replace just learning to love the sound and feel of your guitar.
modes are a social construct
Quote by agarst
Morning all!

Ive been lurking here on UG a while, and I see you have some pretty knowledgeable people here but I have a dilemma that isn't quite covered here. Please bear with me.

I've been playing for about 9 years, I feel like I've learned a little bit of everything. For example, I know some box scale types (blues scales?) I am like your typical guitar player - I live on and love youtube! Its the best resource ever. I also like Justin guitar and Ive been kearning from that.

The problem is, i feel like Ive exhausted everything. I am just not progressing. I have learned a lot, but, at the same time its like Ive really not grown. Im becoming increasingly frustrated because I have so little to show for everything Ive played and watched. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Im not sure that im expressing myself well here.

I think I understand theory but Im not sure. Maybe someone here knows what I'm getting at.

Thanks!

Adam

First of all, welcome! Glad to have you here!

Your problem is not uncommon. A lot of people spend a lot of time on free videos, and sites. By the way, music-theory.net and Mike Dodge's websites are options that might help. There's also Justin as you know. The question I have, and please don't take this personally or the wrong way, can be summarized in the following question:

If those things are sufficient for you needs, then why are you still here looking for help?

Does that make sense? If all these "ways" that are out there being promoted, and the greatest instruction in the world is found for free on You Tube, then why are you...or anyone for that matter still here, and feeling lost?

I'll propose my guess for that - its because they aren't TEACHING. Merely conveying information, without a stake in whether or not you actually learn, is the downfall of most "lessons". Now I have to say that Mike Dodge has a great site, and its as good as I've ever seen as far as sites that are free are concerned.

But what about someone walking with you step by step, through the process, anticipating and understanding your needs? To me thats a lot better because they are personally vested into your development.

As you can probably see from my sig I do both, I teach, online (I dont know what you know yet so Im not ready to say that you're a good candidate yet, but Id be happy to visit with you and evaluate your needs and skills). But I also mentor. I will help give you direction, so that if you want to self study then you can do that, intelligently. Mentoring is free. My Academy isnt. But if you could afford to pay for private lessons, then there is absolutely no way that you coundnt afford what I teach - at its highest our tuition is less than private lessons with a local instructor, and is an unlimited number of lessons per month. But, even if you didn't want to pay that much, at its cheapest, its way less than a single lesson anywhere (unless it's free). And keep in mind its NOT the same content found everywhere else.

It's not for beginners, though I want to be straight about that. If you know your chords and some songs and some scales, then you are probably ideal. If you can't stum a G chord and change it, then, you're not ready for what I teach.

I know you said that you aren't a beginner. Anyways if there's anything I can help with or answer for you, just let me know. I did want to respond because your frustrations resemble a lot of things that people here have articulated before they became students.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by agarst
Morning all!

Thanks!

Adam

Stop learning new things for awhile and begin mastering the things you know pieces of.
Quote by Hail
Just play. Don't think. Learn some songs you enjoy, or write a few, and just sit and play them. Make them sound good. There isn't a Youtube video in the world that can replace just learning to love the sound and feel of your guitar.

Good advice. Enjoy and appreciate the act of playing. It doesn't have to be complicated or involve fancy words.

PS, if you're looking for lessons, I teach online via Skype. 1st lesson is free.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by alairson22
Stop learning new things for awhile and begin mastering the things you know pieces of.

Good advice. This was my personal breakthrough. I used to be a guy who learned the favorite riff of his favorite songs, but really never learned the entire song. When I'd play something for friends, I could bust out the intro to a Dokken or AC/DC song, but after "the riff" I was empty.

When I forced myself to learn ENTIRE songs instead of the most recognizeable pieces, my playing jumped in huge leaps. I now became of value when it came to jam sessions with friends. I became something other than a "15 second wonder".

And don't get caught in the trap of "I don't like to play other people's songs". As a beginner or struggling guitarist, you OUGHT to play covers. I used to use the same excuse. What I later determined was that it wasn't that I didn't like to play covers, but rather that I was UNABLE to play them due to lack of commitment or discipline. This is my opinion, but if you can't play at least a few intermediate level covers in their entirety, then you really have little business playing much of your own stuff. I don't know if this is you, but at one time it was one of MY barriers.

Try Guitar Pro. Check out Youtube for lessons in playing a few of your favorite songs. And by all means, play along to a rhythm track/drum machine, backing track, or original recording.

If you learn something via tab, try to dissect the scale or chord patterns. Constantly try to find easier patterns by which to play them. You will learn a lot doing this.

Many years ago when I was in the military, a high ranking officer once said "Become an expert at what you do. Even if that is a seemingly small discipline, perfect it. And then find something else and become an expert at that."

He was talking about nuclear power at that time, but his words rang true to most everything in life.
Quote by cheapr2keepr
Good advice. This was my personal breakthrough. I used to be a guy who learned the favorite riff of his favorite songs, but really never learned the entire song. When I'd play something for friends, I could bust out the intro to a Dokken or AC/DC song, but after "the riff" I was empty.

When I forced myself to learn ENTIRE songs instead of the most recognizeable pieces, my playing jumped in huge leaps. ..........

All good advice here , stop learning and START PLAYING !!! I've been playing for only 2 years now,but fell in the same trap recently. I've been learning this picking technique,that strum pattern , this theory,that theory blah blah,total information overload, and ended up with all this bits and peices that I could do zip with !!! REALLY demotivating! Than 2 months ago I decided stuff this, I joined Sean's academy and THAT'S the ONLY "new" thing I focus on, the rest of the time I just learn to play songs (Chord based). I've learned about 4 new songs that I can play reasonably well and it's funny how all this little things just start to come together as you APPLY them ! And for the first time in months I actually enjoy playing again ! There's no better feeling than the one you get when you hear a song coming together as you learn it and can finally play it right THROUGH !And while I'm enjoying it ,I'm still learning something great aswell , through the RnB course ....

Progress AND enjoyment together ,what a feeling ...