Page 1 of 2
For me it's gotta be the "EMG select SEHG" that I bought once on an agile guitar before I knew anything about pickups >_>

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1666.html

somewhat okay cleans, but TERRIBLE, WEAK metal tone. I even plugged it into a pretty nice Marshall and it sounded horrible. Needless to say I returned that guitar within a week and got my money back.
probably the ones in my first electric guitar which was a TV deal from Esteban, it's this ugly black Esteban guitar with single coils that were probably made of aluminum foil..
The single coils on my Squier. They're terrible clean or distorted, and almost useless.
If you Buy me a Drink I'll leave you alone.

I got alot of Free drink's but I never once picked up a Girl.

Doh !!! You meant guitar pick-ups ?!?
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Epi G400 pickups, whatever they are. It was physically impossible for me to get a tone I liked out of those things, unless maybe I had 6 or 7 treble boosters...xD Horrible, muddy, muddy tone. I also think the EMG 85 neck pup in my Schecter's pretty horrid, no definition to the notes, it all mushes together. Dx
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
The pickups in my first guitar. Some Stagg Flying V copy. I didn't think it is possible to get pickups any muddier if i tried. I also couldn't play with ANY sizable amount of gain because the pickups wern't wax potted properly. They just did nothing but squeal and make my ears bleed.

At least with Epiphone pickups you can play high gain without it screaming down your ears. With the ones i had in the Stagg, it was unplayable.

You couldn't get pickups worse if you tried.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Invaders, most useless pickups ever, Stevie Via does not use the Invaders that you can buy, he has to have special Invaders that are not really Invaders.

The Squier coils are pretty bad too.

If you mean Vai, he doesn't use Invaders, he uses Evos.
i think the most shrill and brittle sounding pickups i've ever heard were the pickups you get in the squier affinity/standard series strats. i actually have a squier strat where i wired the middle pickup out of phase especially to get the thinnest sound i could possibly get. it sure does sound "unique".

as for the other side of things, the muddiest, most rumbly, sloppy, muffled sounding pickups i've ever had the misfortune of experiencing were not epiphone pickups - instead, they were the stock humbuckers in the cheaper BC rich guitars. i know someone who has a pretty nice BC rich mockingbird - the guitar itself is pretty nice, but my god, the pickups are horrendous. it almost sounds like you've always got the tone control rolled back to 0 all the time.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have a guitar that's probably older than me, it's got some passive EMG- lookalike's in it- they're very, very bad.
My first guitar, which was a no name chinese HSS Strat copy, had incredibly sterile, tinny pickups. Played through a fender Frontman 20 it wasnt exactly music.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by ethan_hanus
Invaders, Evo's, they sound the same basically, both suck IMO.

You're so full of shit it's hilarious. They're completely, totally different tonally!

One is a dark voiced pickup meant to darken bright guitars, that gets muddy anywhere else. Another is an incredibly clear, mid voiced, shredders pick up. It's kinda clear you just blew that out your ass.

Neither match with my taste, but both are great pick ups. Because the Evo has such clarity, any mistake you make is amplified, and if you're an idiot and put an Invader in a guitar that's not bright, the results are your fault, not the pick ups.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by VanTheKraut
You're so full of shit it's hilarious. They're completely, totally different tonally!

One is a dark voiced pickup meant to darken bright guitars, that gets muddy anywhere else. Another is an incredibly clear shredders pick up. It's kinda clear you just blew that out your ass.

When the gain's blasted to 10 how can you tell the difference?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
When the gain's blasted to 10 how can you tell the difference?

...So why would you blast the gain to 10? Who does that? Honestly?

That's like saying Marilyn Manson and Aretha Franklin sound the same because If I play a blender over both, they both sound the same.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by VanTheKraut
So why would you blast the gain to 10?

That's like saying Marilyn Manson and Aretha Franklin sound the same because If I play a blender over both, they both sound the same.

Sorry but that's a terrible analogy
Quote by VanTheKraut

One is a dark voiced pickup meant to darken bright guitars, that gets muddy anywhere else. Another is an incredibly clear, mid voiced, shredders pick up. It's kinda clear you just blew that out your ass.

Neither match with my taste, but both are great pick ups. Because the Evo has such clarity, any mistake you make is amplified, and if you're an idiot and put an Invader in a guitar that's not bright, the results are your fault, not the pick ups.

Uh huh, which is why nobody on UG ever recommends Invaders or Evo's for anything, cause they all agree they both suck, in any guitar.

I've played both pickups, and they both suck, dull, lifeless, and just crap in general.
Worst have to be the Ibanez INF something. I forget the actual model name. The ones they put in all their cheap guitars. They're like somebody set out on purpose to try and make Epiphone, Squier and EMG HZ pickups even worse sounding and the result was the Ibanez INFs.

I think a special mention has to go to the SD Dimebucker and Invader and the DM Evo and Steve's Special. They're all awful and while they might not sound worse than crappy MIC stock pickups they sure don't sound any better either and considering their prices that's terrible. Everything they do is done a hundred times better by other, similar and often cheaper pickups.
Quote by grohl1987
Worst have to be the Ibanez INF something. I forget the actual model name. The ones they put in all their cheap guitars. They're like somebody set out on purpose to try and make Epiphone, Squier and EMG HZ pickups even worse sounding and the result was the Ibanez INFs.

I think a special mention has to go to the SD Dimebucker and Invader and the DM Evo and Steve's Special. They're all awful and while they might not sound worse than crappy MIC stock pickups they sure don't sound any better either and considering their prices that's terrible. Everything they do is done a hundred times better by other, similar and often cheaper pickups.

The INF pickups in the RG350 (Only RGXXX -ones with Edge trem- I ever owned) were so terrible, so I have to agree.

The v7 and v8 pickups are way better, but still suck for the most part. I really started to hate them in the past few months and that's why I sold my RG2EX2. I much prefer my Schecter's duncan designed passives.. At least those don't get muddy, even in AGCFAD tuning.
Quote by VanTheKraut
...So why would you blast the gain to 10? Who does that? Honestly?

Are you trying to tell me you don't play with the gain on ten? Why would you play on anything but ten unless yore playing clean or something?
Quote by thrashdeth
Are you trying to tell me you don't play with the gain on ten? Why would you play on anything but ten unless yore playing clean or something?

not sure if serious.. mostly because your profile says you were born in 2030 and your username is "thrashdeth"...

^there are some guitars that have good stock pickups to begin with, but it is a corner that a lot of companies cut unfortunately.. but to label each and every stock pickups as bad is kinda dumb.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 25, 2011,
Three words. Squier. Affinity. Strat.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I agree with everyone else, Squire stock ones. I found one online from Musicians Friend once. 12$ each. 12$ pickups? Seriously?
Mightymite single coils - basically aftermarket squire strat pickups. I picked up a beautiful green MIM strat in denver (still have yet to come across another strat like it), and some ass had replaced the stock pickups with those abominations. I've since replaced them with a set of 57/62s though.
I hear my train a comin'.
---------------------------------
Fender MIM Stratocaster + Fender 57/62 single coils
Agile AD-2300
Fender Blues Junior + MXR Custom '78 distortion
Quote by lespaulkid123
I agree with everyone else, Squire stock ones. I found one online from Musicians Friend once. 12$ each. 12$ pickups? Seriously?

Lol. Either buy dinner or buy a pickup. Your choice!
Dimebucker gets a +1. I cant get it to sound good in e standard or flatted, gotta downtune alot to get half decent tone outta the pup imo.
Inf pups arent that bad. You guys just suck. :P
We have this used seven string Washburn at work with some nameless pickups in it. Sounds like you're playing a body-less guitar in a tunnel. It's awful. Both pickups sound this way, but the neck one just sounds hollower.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by DimebagZappa
Inf pups arent that bad. You guys just suck. :P

I've been thinking this for a while. I personally think Ibby stock pickups are pretty killer, my buddy's ART100 has the best harmonics I've ever heard and they're stock(he's fairly new to guitar). I'd have most certainly picked up a RG if I could play on the Wizard necks but I just can't do it and I can't find a lefty that isn't an RG. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Hm, nobody seems to have hated on the Dimarzio X2N yet. Which is a good thing, as most of the hate comes from idiots misusing it. It's actually a good sounding pickup if you use it correctly.

For me, the worst pickup I've ever played was the Jackson J-50 BC. Compressed, tinny, lifeless, dull, dead, weak, had no clarity, it just sucked. It also ruined my views on active pickups in general, and made me think that all active pickups sounded as bad as it (although I still don't care for active pickups, and prefer passives any day). I swapped it out with a Dimarzio X2N, which sounds 20x better.
Quote by thrashdeth
The single coils on my Squier. They're terrible clean or distorted, and almost useless.

2nded
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
strange, i like the invaders. i think they sound great. to each his own i guess.
Stock pickups are worst pickups although I love PRS Dragon II pickups.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Ian_the_fox

For me, the worst pickup I've ever played was the Jackson J-50 BC. Compressed, tinny, lifeless, dull, dead, weak, had no clarity, it just sucked. It also ruined my views on active pickups in general, and made me think that all active pickups sounded as bad as it (although I still don't care for active pickups, and prefer passives any day). I swapped it out with a Dimarzio X2N, which sounds 20x better.

I thought the J50BC was passive
Other than all the crappy stock pickups they give you on no brand guitars it has to be the cheap EMG 81. I played a few on the PRS SE guitars and they sound like utter crap compared to the ones on my Schecter.
Page 1 of 2