I have a chord progression that I like in the Key of B major, How do I go about spicing this up with melodies and other parts ? Is it just trial and error of finding something that sounds good? Or should I noodle around with the major scale? How do you guys do it?

If anyone can give me tips of what they do once they have a chord progression down to spice things up that would be super.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Any help is greatly appreciated
I suggest you drop the "spice up" metaphor: it's obscuring your meaning. Are you trying to make your chord progression more interesting? or are you trying to write a melody?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
You mean to accompany it or to combine the chord prog with single notes in one take?
Sorry If I didn't make myself clear I guess I am trying to make my progression more interesting.
Quote by evolucian
You mean to accompany it or to combine the chord prog with single notes in one take?

Yes I would like to combine the chord progression with single notes in 1 take but am not sure of how to do this.
Then post your progression or a recording of it (just the structure of how you're playing it... the pauses included, etc)
Are you familiar with seventh chords? upper extensions? suspensions? quartal harmony?
Quote by Tpiz
Yes I would like to combine the chord progression with single notes in 1 take but am not sure of how to do this.

You may not have the background knowledge, experience or skill sets to do so. I have no idea, but you need all three.

Your question really brings up a series of subjective points. I mean if I posted a request on, "Tell me how to make my story writing more interesting". Could you answer that?

The most obvious thing is to take examples of what you like, break them down, and then use your understanding to work this out so that you get the requisite insights for this situation.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 25, 2011,
Put a V7 in front of each chord. It can create an instance "new point of view".

Post the progression measure by measure, since there is hardly any really "original" progressions out there I'm sure we can show you examples we'd you or post you to other songs that have the same progression.
Sorry for the long response.

The progression is B major, D#minor, G# minor and E major played in barre chord form.
Quote by Tpiz
I have a chord progression that I like in the Key of B major, How do I go about spicing this up with melodies and other parts ? Is it just trial and error of finding something that sounds good? Or should I noodle around with the major scale? How do you guys do it?

Listen.... play stuff that sounds good. Use whatever knowledge and skills you have at your disposal. if you feel you're lacking there.... take some lessons, practice, & study.

I mean I could tell you to add some color by using extensions in those chords, but that probably wouldn't do you much good at this point. Or maybe you could try and modulate, know what that means? Random advice that you lack the foundation to understand = not useable. Also you have to consider that you are the one writing the song. if you did understand my advice and took it, then you are no longer the creator of the song. You don't really want that right?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Listen.... play stuff that sounds good. Use whatever knowledge and skills you have at your disposal. if you feel you're lacking there.... take some lessons, practice, & study.

I mean I could tell you to add some color by using extensions in those chords, but that probably wouldn't do you much good at this point. Or maybe you could try and modulate, know what that means? Random advice that you lack the foundation to understand = not useable. Also you have to consider that you are the one writing the song. if you did understand my advice and took it, then you are no longer the creator of the song. You don't really want that right?

I am not asking for you to do it for me, I am just asking for some advice on how to make it more interesting. :s
Quote by Tpiz
I am not asking for you to do it for me, I am just asking for some advice on how to make it more interesting. :s

Learn about chord function. Learn to hear it.

Revisit your progression.
shred is gaudy music
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450410

I wrote this post a while ago on the topic. It didn't get much response, but it may help you add some interest with your chords.

http://smu.edu/totw/nct.htm

I posted this link around here a couple of days ago. This will help you understand how to utilize non-chord tones effectively. I think suspensions go a long way toward creating interest in the chord changes...that's in there, too.