I've always wanted a explorer shaped guitar, and now i can finally afford a Gibson explorer.
I'm thinking of either a Black & White Gibson explorer or the Vampire blood moon (cheesy name i know).
I've never had the chance to play either one of these so i'm asking if you guys/girls have any experience with these guitars?
The ones I've played were surprisingly balanced in terms of weight. I haven't actually played the new series, but they couldn't have changed much over the years.

My advice to you would be to try to play one before you take the plunge if at all possible. It's much better to try it first hand than rely on people's opinions.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I've played a few. Awkward sitting down, as you could imagine. But probably the best balanced guitar standing up I've ever played. The neck was pretty fast and had easy access to the upper frets as well. As far as sound, I wasn't really able to dable with it too much, unfortunately. Otherwise, I really liked the Gibson.
I really liked all the gibson explorers i played. they sit very comfotably in my lap, have pretty good fret acsess and nice necks
They are amazing guitars. I love the way they feel sitting down. I played a Gibson Korina Explorer yesterday through a H&K TriAmp MKII at the GC in Boston, and it was glorious haha. Little hard to solo for some reason but that's probably because I wasn't used to said guitar
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
i like them...it wasnt uncomfortable to play sitting down....it kinda fits you your body, and you get like a little armrest with the wing.

the only thing is i dont understand why its a 1400dollar guitar....doesnt seem that special to me....should b like 800tops

and as far as the vampire moon one...i prefer mahogany and ebony fretboard to swamp ash and rosewood....although it is kinda cool, id go with thte classic
Explorers are good guitar and well generally sound good. I prefer bigger necks so the ones I've played have been good for me. I would go for the Gibson if that's what you saved for. I saved for a Les Paul for ages and I got one and now I have it I know it was woth saving for and dreaming about :L
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Playing them has been a unique experience for me. i always play the same on when i go into my local samash. its an absolute joy to play. it has a very vintage feeling neck....very rounded and small but not to thick to shred. only complained is upper fret access.....well just the last 2 frets but thats pretty important to me. otherwise i love the stock pickups and how the thing sounds.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Phenomenal sound, plays well, good balance...no complaints really...I love mine
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Personal preference. Just because you think it looks good doesn't mean you'll like it. Some people don't like the feel of vintage guitars worth $300 000! I reccomend you play one first
Quote by nathan:-)
Personal preference. Just because you think it looks good doesn't mean you'll like it. Some people don't like the feel of vintage guitars worth $300 000! I reccomend you play one first

I know it's an old thread and this problem's probably already been solved but this is a really true statement. I LOVE the way the ESP F series looks but none of them feel right to me.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!