Page 1 of 3
so...I've always played the sweet child o mine entry barring the 12 fret from the D string down, but I came across a video (and checked other ones) and saw that everyone only presses the D.....is what I've been doing wrong, or it's just a question of "saving" fingers strength?

Thanks.
I've never seen anyone play it like you do, everyone I've ever seen presses each note individually. I wouldn't like to say what you do it wrong, if that's what works for you, but I couldn't say you're playing it correctly either.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ya if it works for you and your used to it already, then go for it. But I think playing each note individual would be better, that's just my opinion though.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Quote by forevertheuni
so...I've always played the sweet child o mine entry barring the 12 fret from the D string down, but I came across a video (and checked other ones) and saw that everyone only presses the D.....is what I've been doing wrong, or it's just a question of "saving" fingers strength?

Thanks.

It's wrong.

You should never fret more than you absolutely have to, the more you fret the more your hands are doing that they might not have to. Also if you get in to the habit of barring things that just happen to be on the same fret in a phrase you'll find some things difficult to fret in general and you'll probably find that keeping some strings quiet in other phrases gets very difficult.

Learn it the right way, you'll be benefited down the line by doing it that way.

Quote by Azhark
Look at Slash playing it live and play it like him. Or that's if you want to play it "as the composer intended", which I assume you want to.

I would debate the good points of doing it this way; just because the original writer plays something one way doesn't mean that's going to be the best for you. It might not even be the best for them but they're just used to playing it that way.

Edit: just looking up videos of Slash playing Sweet Child O' Mine for example... he uses three fingers and a hell of a lot of upstrokes... I couldn't play it that way at all, just wouldn't feel right. I use all four fingers and strict alternate picking because that's what works for me
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 25, 2011,
I finger each note seperately and dont use my pinky. I also economy pick it.
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by teh_goon
just play whatever feels best

I really wish people would stop saying this. If this was actually any kind of answer this forum wouldn't be here.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I really wish people would stop saying this. If this was actually any kind of answer this forum wouldn't be here.

Agreed, anytime somebody asks if they should improve on something someone always says "if it works don't fix it"

Bullcrap, you don't grow if you don't push yourself.
Lol. It's pretty easy the "common" way. Been playing yesterday with no problem..but I remember why I started to play by doing the index finger bar....to mute a bit the strings when I release them . Because I had my finger in relative pressure in the B and E string. I'll just use my picking hand to do it. But it's true that is less tiring.
Thanks for all the answers.
Quote by forevertheuni

Thanks.

First time I've ever heard anybody call and Intro an Entry, but whatever (may not be his first language, etc.)

Try a rolling barre on the 12th fret, it will sound less sloppy than if you do a normal barre, but then again, Slash is a pretty sloppy player as it is...
Where's Waldo?
Barring it will cause it to ring and give it a bad sound, thats the only issue. Who cares how Slash plays it? He's not even good.

If it sounds correct, then you can play it HOWEVER you want, but in this case, it doesnt.
Quote by chadreed32
First time I've ever heard anybody call and Intro an Entry, but whatever (may not be his first language, etc.)

Don't be a language paranoid.
I never use my #2 finger while playing this. I roll my finger #3 from fret 14 on Gstring) to fret 14 on E string. I saw some videos and slash used number 2 and 3 to play those two notes.
When I play the D (B string 15th fret) I use my finger number 4. Slash doesn't use this finger...at all..
So...continuing...how should we play it with perfect , correct, standardized form?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJUc9SIgPE <- Is this one correct?
Quote by Privet Tovarish
He's not even good.

I'm just going to step back in to this thread to call bullshit on this. While he may not be the most technical or the cleanest player on Earth, to say that Slash isn't even good is fucking absurd.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm just going to step back in to this thread to call bullshit on this. While he may not be the most technical or the cleanest player on Earth, to say that Slash isn't even good is fucking absurd.

I dont want to start a flame war, but let me just say this.

Slash isnt technical, clean... yea sure.. but worst of all... not even fast. He's got great style and is a guitar icon, but a mediocre player. He was my favourite guitarist for years until I realised his style hides his guitar skills.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
I dont want to start a flame war, but let me just say this.

Slash isnt technical, clean... yea sure.. but worst of all... not even fast. He's got great style and is a guitar icon, but a mediocre player. He was my favourite guitarist for years until I realised his style hides his guitar skills.

So he has an instantly recognisable style, instantly recognisable tone, a style that you yourself call great and you're writing him off because he's not fast?

Who actually cares about skills? The sound is always, without exception, the first and foremost consideration in the appreciation of any guitarist.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
So he has an instantly recognisable style, instantly recognisable tone, a style that you yourself call great and you're writing him off because he's not fast?

Who actually cares about skills? The sound is always, without exception, the first and foremost consideration in the appreciation of any guitarist.

Skills is what makes a guitarist good, recognising style means the guitarist is a great songwriter. You cant say a guitarist is good because he has a recognisable style, that style could be easy. Say Eddie Van Halen, is he one of the best guitarists because his tapping is recognized everywhere, regardless of the little skill involved in it?

It's about speed and precision. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Yngwie Malmsteen, Hendrix are some of the best.

Recognisability, such as Slash (bends), Zakk Wylde (pinch harmonics), Kurt Cobain (power chords) are not.

I respect your opinion however
Slash may not be as technically proficient as 90% of other professionals but he has something that 99% of guitarists dont have. His own sound and style. Slash didnt want to copy anybodies style, he made his own and thats why he has one of the most recognisable sounds in music.
Quote by mrbabo91
Slash may not be as technically proficient as 90% of other professionals but he has something that 99% of guitarists dont have. His own sound and style. Slash didnt want to copy anybodies style, he made his own and thats why he has one of the most recognisable sounds in music.

Agreed, he's a phenomenal songwriter, just like Jimmy Page - new style, new sound, and one of the most recognisable in histroy. Agreed 100%.

But once again, his riffs are easy, just like Jimmy Page's. Give them to a skilled guitarist like Malmsteen, he'll play them with ease. Give Malmsteen's stuff to Slash or Page, they won't be able do it, its just too fast and out of their league.

Once again, my opinion
Last edited by Privet Tovarish at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by Privet Tovarish

But once again, his riffs are easy, just like Jimmy Page's. Give them to a skilled guitarist like Malmsteen, he'll play them with ease. Give Malmsteen's stuff to Slash or Page, they won't be able do it, its just too fast and out of their league.

Once again, my opinion

I hate people that say stuff like this.

If you want confirmation that being fast isn't always best, ask your girlfriend
Quote by Steve635z
I hate people that say stuff like this.

If you want confirmation that being fast isn't always best, ask your girlfriend

Haha lucky for me I dont have one

And yes it is annoying, but its true. I even read a comment before when I asked how hard cliffs of dover by eric johnson was to play on guitar. Someone replied: "slash couldnt play it." It's true. You need to distinguish between songwriting skills and playing skills :P
Quote by Privet Tovarish
You need to distinguish between songwriting skills and playing skills :P

I thought you were doing what most people who use that arguement do and totally disregard this factor... I'll let you off......

This time
Quote by Privet Tovarish
You need to distinguish between songwriting skills and playing skills :P

I thought you were doing what most people who use that arguement do and totally disregard this factor... I'll let you off......

This time!!
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Skills is what makes a guitarist good, recognising style means the guitarist is a great songwriter. You cant say a guitarist is good because he has a recognisable style, that style could be easy. Say Eddie Van Halen, is he one of the best guitarists because his tapping is recognized everywhere, regardless of the little skill involved in it?

It's about speed and precision. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Yngwie Malmsteen, Hendrix are some of the best.

Recognisability, such as Slash (bends), Zakk Wylde (pinch harmonics), Kurt Cobain (power chords) are not.

I respect your opinion however

... you want to talk about speed and clean playing over style and then mention Hendrix? Hendrix wasn't fast or clean in the 60s and his playing sure hasn't gotten any cleaner since then.

You need to get a grip on reality here: guys like Malmsteen are the exception, not the rule. Yes you see a lot of really technically terrifying guitarists now because they're the kind of people who make it big on the internet, they're still far outnumbered by people who don't have that kind of technical facility.

Also you're oversimplifying the styles of both Slash and Wylde, if bending and pinch harmonics was all there is to either of them they wouldn't be that recognisable, they both have wholly developed and completely cohesive playing styles that you'll be able to recognise no matter what they're playing.

Quote by Privet Tovarish
it is annoying, but its true. I even read a comment before when I asked how hard cliffs of dover by eric johnson was to play on guitar. Someone replied: "slash couldnt play it." It's true. You need to distinguish between songwriting skills and playing skills :P

Again you're comparing people to the exception, not the rule. 99% of the guitarists in the world couldn't play Cliffs of Dover, Eric Johnson is one of the best guitarists both technically and compositionally in the world.

I'm all for being hard on players but be realistic, when you compare him to the vast majority of people who actually play guitar he's still well above average.

Edit: Also never underestimate Van Halen. Tapping was/is far from the only thing that made/makes him exceptional.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
... you want to talk about speed and clean playing over style and then mention Hendrix? Hendrix wasn't fast or clean in the 60s and his playing sure hasn't gotten any cleaner since then.

You need to get a grip on reality here: guys like Malmsteen are the exception, not the rule. Yes you see a lot of really technically terrifying guitarists now because they're the kind of people who make it big on the internet, they're still far outnumbered by people who don't have that kind of technical facility.

Also you're oversimplifying the styles of both Slash and Wylde, if bending and pinch harmonics was all there is to either of them they wouldn't be that recognisable, they both have wholly developed and completely cohesive playing styles that you'll be able to recognise no matter what they're playing.

Again you're comparing people to the exception, not the rule. 99% of the guitarists in the world couldn't play Cliffs of Dover, Eric Johnson is one of the best guitarists both technically and compositionally in the world.

I'm all for being hard on players but be realistic, when you compare him to the vast majority of people who actually play guitar he's still well above average.

Edit: Also never underestimate Van Halen. Tapping was/is far from the only thing that made/makes him exceptional.

Well said.

I've never heard a song by Hendrix but everyone says he's the best guitarist in the world so I assumed he would fulfill the criteria lol.

I agree I am oversimplifying them, I'm just pointing out what they mainly do in their techniques. Malmsteen et. al do all these techniques in one. You can look up his song "Blue". It has what Zakk and Slash love the most but he still does it faster. I'm only saying that in comparison to people like Malmsteen, Slash is overrated is all.

And yes, absolutely, compared to most Slash is good. He's overrated though. The amount of people who think he' the greatest guitarist in the world (or close) is insane. I agree he is one of the best songwriters of all time, but as a guitarist, not even close.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion though I've never seen Slash play a solo that wasnt slow, bend dependant. I just dont see the skill there, but thats me.

As for Van Halen I used that as an example (his tapping technique) as its the first that came to mind, I completely agree with you.
Last edited by Privet Tovarish at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by Privet Tovarish

I've never heard a song by Hendrix but everyone says he's the best guitarist in the world so I assumed he would fulfill the criteria lol..

Just a massive facepalm for that statement.

Quote by Privet Tovarish

And yes, absolutely, compared to most Slash is good. He's overrated though. The amount of people who think he' the greatest guitarist in the world (or close) is insane. I agree he is one of the best songwriters of all time, but as a guitarist, not even close.

I would class songwriting as skill with an instrument, I think a lot of others would as well.

Quote by Privet Tovarish

Everyone is entitled to an opinion though I've never seen Slash play a solo that wasnt slow, bend dependant. I just dont see the skill there, but thats me.

This linked with the Hendrix remark, you are trying to put forward a case for a subject you know very little about by the sounds of it.
Ultimately the majority of people who are going to be "judging" a guitarist's "worth" aren't going to be guitarists, they'll just be people listening to music.

And that's the bottom line, a guitarist HAS to be able to create or at leat play music - all the technical ability in the world is worthless if all you can do with it is run up and down a few well-drilled scale shapes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Well said.

I've never heard a song by Hendrix but everyone says he's the best guitarist in the world so I assumed he would fulfill the criteria lol.

I agree I am oversimplifying them, I'm just pointing out what they mainly do in their techniques. Malmsteen et. al do all these techniques in one. You can look up his song "Blue". It has what Zakk and Slash love the most but he still does it faster. I'm only saying that in comparison to people like Malmsteen, Slash is overrated is all.

As for Van Halen I used that as an example (his tapping technique) as its the first that came to mind, I completely agree with you.

Every guitarist on earth is overrated by his or her fans. I'm guilty of it myself with some players who I think are fantastic but I know that my tendancy to gush is due to my being a massive fanboy.

Keeping an objective, or at least the 'least subjective' viewpoint one can possibly do in these circumstances... Slash is good, very very good. Great even. Greatest? Not by a long shot, but that doesn't mean he's not still damn good at what he does.

If you don't think bending in time and to pitch is a skill that needs practice and time to mature for use then you need to re-evaluate what you think is a skill. Not to mention that Slash is fast. Shred speeds? No. But fast by normal standards, no doubt about that.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
i agree, its almost like a trend to say that slash sucks. when some one says something about slash solos, people always think about november rain first solo which is all about bends and they completely forget that slash also has some solos which are quite challenging to play.

he used to be sloppy on GNR lives because he was drunk the entire time, but if you watch more recent videos you will notice that he has improved quite a lot.

of course he is not as good as a virtuoso like malmsteen, but then again very few players can be compared to him.
Quote by tappooh

he used to be sloppy on GNR lives because he was drunk the entire time, but if you watch more recent videos you will notice that he has improved quite a lot.

Do you mean Lies? Because if you do that was released after Appetite For Destruction. So you are saying his work on that was sloppy as well?
Quote by Steve635z
Do you mean Lies? Because if you do that was released after Appetite For Destruction. So you are saying his work on that was sloppy as well?

Yes it was, but most of it was recorded before Appetite was released.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forevertheuni
Oh dear, I will never have my answer

If you read the thread, you already have an answer.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Speed does not equal greatness. It's a useful ability, but so is the ability to play a good solo at slower speeds. Fastness is only really necessary for thrash & other extremely heavy/fast metals. Slash doesn't play those styles, so his speed isn't an issue.

In most other careers, people are judged by their success. Based on that theory, Slash is greater than all of you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryHB
Speed does not equal greatness. It's a useful ability, but so is the ability to play a good solo at slower speeds. Fastness is only really necessary for thrash & other extremely heavy/fast metals. Slash doesn't play those styles, so his speed isn't an issue.

In most other careers, people are judged by their success. Based on that theory, Slash is greater than all of you.

Jazz fusion, classical music and gypsy jazz all disagree with you there.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I love how it's "cool" to hate on Slash and Kurt Cobain nowadays, even though they are the greatest talent in the 90's. I guess they seem lame to 13 year olds, just like van halen and 80's pop metal sound lame to me. But anyways, if Slash is a "bad" or "slow" guitarist, than so is Gary Moore (rip), SRV, and David Gilmour.

Slash looked up to Joe Perry (from aerosmith) as a kid, so if you hear a lot of classic rock licks, it's because he learned lots of aerosmith and stuff like sultans of swing. He plays his legato very clean and fast though, so this whole slash is slow thing is very confusing to me. I think lots of younger people just assume he's lame cause he's old.

He is getting fat now...
If you put these guys in order of their technical ability

Gilbert
Malmsteen
Al di Meola
Herman Li
Eric Johnson
Eddie Van Halen
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Kirk Hammet
Tony Iommi
Slash
Jimi Hendrix

You would notice that the guys at the bottom of the list tend to be the better songwriters, surely thats how you should judge a musician when its all set and done. Being able to play at a hundred miles an hour is useless if you cant craft a catchy, beautiful melody.
Page 1 of 3