I did a search and I couldn't find anything that really addressed this....but I'm trying to use Rock Band 3 as my personal guitar coach. I've only had it for a few days and I think I'm progressing (my fingers hurt, so that's probably good, right? )

Anyway, I've worked through the beginner/intermediate pro guitar tutorials but I was really disappointed that I couldn't create my own lessons to play along with. I still have a lot left to do in the game; but I am worried I'll pick up some bad habits - I had been playing for hours before a friend told me I should alternate up/down strokes when I pick - but the game's tutorial's hadn't mentioned it.

I was just curious to hear opinions from people who knew what they were talking about. Is it enough to mix time between Rock Band 3's Pro Guitar songs/training and then look at technique videos on guitar sites?

P.S. Before you call me a troll - I'm not talking about the plastic guitar with 5 buttons on the neck. I'm talking about the RB3 Fender Squire Strat; it's a "real" guitar with strings and frets.
If you can play guitar on a game, why not come off the game and learn properly?

Get real lessons, watch some online videos, learn non rock band songs?
Quote by RobDude
I did a search and I couldn't find anything that really addressed this....but I'm trying to use Rock Band 3 as my personal guitar coach.

There is a reason for that.

Rock Band 3 is a game. If you want to play guitar, get a guitar, take some lessons and practice.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 25, 2011,
Never happening lol get a real guitar and a teacher lol Rock Band holds barely any real guitar knowledge.
Plus, no guitarist will ever take you seriously if you attempt to learn this way.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by 95thFallout
Never happening lol get a real guitar and a teacher lol Rock Band holds barely any real guitar knowledge.

It *is* a real guitar.

Quote by RobDude
It *is* a real guitar.

It's a toy, modeled after a real guitar. I suppose you could learn the basics on it. try taking some lessons. Bring the guitar to a teacher, and see what he/she recommends.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
It's a toy, modeled after a real guitar. I suppose you could learn the basics on it. try taking some lessons. Bring the guitar to a teacher, and see what he/she recommends.

Could you elaborate? The thing was like $300 so if it really isn't a guitar I want to take it back ASAP and get my money.
Quote by RobDude
Could you elaborate? The thing was like $300 so if it really isn't a guitar I want to take it back ASAP and get my money.

Like I said, bring it to a live teacher and let them evaluate it. all I can see is a picture of something that looks like a toy/ really really cheap guitar. Regardless of how usable it is ( and it may be usable), I'm still going to recommend getting guitar lessons.
shred is gaudy music
You can probably thrift/pawn shop a decent starter guitar for $100 - $200.
It is a real electric guitar, don't worry. Buy an amp and you can start jamming. However don't us RB as a substitution for real learning. Don't get caught up in the whole "technique is everything" that seems to be the style on YT videos. Learn music, not 'how to play a guitar', its not complicated and don't let anyone make you think that. Six stings, a pick and some tabs are all that you need to get started.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by iancmtaylor
It is a real electric guitar, don't worry. Buy an amp and you can start jamming. However don't us RB as a substitution for real learning. Don't get caught up in the whole "technique is everything" that seems to be the style on YT videos. Learn music, not 'how to play a guitar', its not complicated and don't let anyone make you think that. Six stings, a pick and some tabs are all that you need to get started.

Im going to go ahead and disagree with your statement about technique. I dont necessarily think you have to spend hours daily practicing technique but i will say this - learning good technique from the beginning makes the learning curve generally alot smaller and the payoff kinda grows exponnentially down the road. Also poor technique can lead to things like carpal tunnel syndrome and other medical issues as well
Look, if you want to learn guitar, get an actual guitar (not one tied to a game) and start learning. If you wanted to learn guitar, use that $300 for an actual guitar and lessons.

But let me state my bias.

I think that these guitar simulation games have gotten to emulating the guitar to a point where you might as well get a real guitar and learning to play it rather than use a game. I acknowledge that RB3 might be a new way to learn guitar, but I think it's basically getting you to pay a lot of money for a guitar learning program that comes with a guitar.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
omg are is TS serious guys? practicing guitar with rockband? omg. just quit if your gonna do that.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omg are is TS serious guys? practicing guitar with rockband? omg. just quit if your gonna do that.

A lot of people have had similar responses; but I don't understand. Yes, I'm serious. The guitar for Rock Band 3 is a real six string guitar. It was made by Fender. You can tune it. You can plug it into an amp. You can play it without the game being on.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to learn to play Crazy Train from tabs. Granted, I couldn't do it. Not even close. But I do know that (at least the intro) in the game is EXACTLY THE SAME as the tab I was learning from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfcs5osqK8

How is that worse than playing the same notes from a tab on my computer screen?

Why is playing a scale while my PS3 is on and the game acting as a metronome that not only ticks for me; but also tells me whether or not I played the correct note and the correct time fundamentally different from playing the same scale from a book?

The lesson I'm currently struggling with is transitioning from an A major barre chord to an F# minor (I hope I'm saying that correctly). It shows me the chords and where my fingers should go, it keeps time for me and plays background music for me and allows me to adjust the tempo so I can get the hang of it at a slower speed. If I get stuck, it stops and reminds me how to play the next chord and waits for me to play it. And it's slightly more fun than playing alone in my room. I get points, get to customize my fictional character....sure it's silly and trivial, but I don't see how that negatively impacts anything.

If I watched a YouTube Video that had some guy saying 'Okay, let's play an major barre chord with our index on the 5th fret - that's an A Major; and then we'll strum 1, 2, 3, switch to F# minor - like this, index on the 2nd fret and 3rd and 4th fingers here. Okay, now strum down, up, down, and back to A major. Now let's play this a few times nice and slow....okay, got it? Good. Now let's go up to 85% speed.....good, good, and now full speed.'...to me, that would be the same. And I've seen a lot of people here recommend YouTube videos or have links in their signature that go to training videos that are pretty much doing the same thing RB3 does; only RB3 gives you real-time feed back.

I guess I don't get it. I'm a n0ob, so I'll admit that maybe I'm 100% wrong and RB3 is a joke and has no business being anywhere near someone who wants to learn guitar. But it sure seems the same to me.
Last edited by RobDude at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by RobDude

I guess I don't get it. I'm a n0ob, so I'll admit that maybe I'm 100% wrong and RB3 is a joke and has no business being anywhere near someone who wants to learn guitar. But it sure seems the same to me.

hey, if it will play in tune you could get started with it. I don't know about using the game as a "guitar coach". again though, if it gets you into it there's really nothing wrong with it. But also you should gather from all the responses that if it works at all, it's probably not going to get you too far.
shred is gaudy music
I think a lot of people are passing judgement on this method of learning without trying it first. I'm honestly intrigued. A game that could teach real guitar would be better than one that teaches 'fake' guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I think a lot of people are passing judgement on this method of learning without trying it first. I'm honestly intrigued. A game that could teach real guitar would be better than one that teaches 'fake' guitar.

actually i was going to point out that theoretically this can teach you how to play some songs. even if the guitar sucks its still a guitar and they're actually making a game called rocksmith that allows you to plug in your guitar and play along with the tab on the screen. personally im picking it up when it comes out as i enjoy playing guitar and i think it'd be fun to try out. i think this could very well be a valid form of learning although like i pointed out previously, you do want to make sure you have a decent technique so you dont go hurting yourself in the process.
I would personally love to try this, most of the people here dont think its a good idea to start with it. I think its great. Heres my explanation why.

First off, its a real guitar in a sense. If I heard correct, its a midi guitar. Which allows you to plug into a computer and use programs such as Garage Band and any recording software with decent VST files. So in reality, this gives great options to the guitarist. You don't have to buy an amp and 10 different effects that youd want. Its all built into vsts if you can find them, so by all means, more power to you.

The only problem I see with using Rock Band, is that when playing guitar based off tabs, you can improvise, where as you have set notes to use in Rock band. The other thing, and don't judge me if I'm wrong, I haven't played it. but say you can't get decent at a part of the song, say the solo, you can't skip it to learn/play the rest of the song. I think it'd be a great start to learning, and I would have loved to have had the option.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I don't get it.

What ever happened to someone picking up a guitar and playing the ****ing thing like they did in the old days?

You kids and your bullshit now, I swear...

Also, how does Rock Band expect you to know how to change the strings?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by RobDude
- I had been playing for hours before a friend told me I should alternate up/down strokes when I pick - but the game's tutorial's hadn't mentioned it.

k stop right there. you shouldn't be doing that if you just started playing guitar yesterday. I downpicked everything for like a year before I learned how to alternate pick and I turned out pretty good Next thing your friend is going to say you should be practicing yngwie malmsteen licks instead of ramones tunes.

just play the damn songs and have fun, that is the point of guitar. worry naught about habits and technique and you'll be much better for it. you won't turn into one of those people who makes a thread every 5 minutes because they're afraid they suck because they hold their finger at a 45 degree angle when they play a c major chord
Last edited by trashbeast at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by trashbeast
k stop right there. you shouldn't be doing that if you just started playing guitar yesterday. I downpicked everything for like a year before I learned how to alternate pick and I turned out pretty good

So, you're telling him to not practice good form?
First off I have to agree that although this is a bit strange, I am intrigued. I would like to see how you progress with this mate.

The thing to remember, and I believe this stands true to everything that you learn, is to learn good practice...IE look at videos watch lessons and tutorials on how you should be doing what your doing. Then use that to find your own style of playing. You need to try and keep bad habits in check or it could seriously and genuinely injur you (and nobody wants that) as regards the alternate picking, are you talking about singles notes or chords? Either way alternate picking does I agree benefit you the most, however look at James Hetfield of Metallica. That guys hand only goes up so that he can pick down again!!

Stick with it if you fele like your genuinely improving and see where it goes. I'll check out the videos people have posted later, can't get on youtube in works computers lmao
Quote by trashbeast
k stop right there. you shouldn't be doing that if you just started playing guitar yesterday. I downpicked everything for like a year before I learned how to alternate pick and I turned out pretty good Next thing your friend is going to say you should be practicing yngwie malmsteen licks instead of ramones tunes.

just play the damn songs and have fun, that is the point of guitar. worry naught about habits and technique and you'll be much better for it. you won't turn into one of those people who makes a thread every 5 minutes because they're afraid they suck because they hold their finger at a 45 degree angle when they play a c major chord

I alternate picked as soon as I picked up my guitar. It never made sense to me to pick down but NOT pick up. Economy of motion. Oh, and I never learned any easy songs like that. I started with some Symphony X Guess I learned wrong.

I came into this thread and I was going to berate you, but I watched that video Alan posted, and now I can't give you any advice It seems like you could, to an extent, use RB3 to learn to play (basic) guitar. Now, you won't get things like articulation and legato, but those things can be developed after you get good enough.

I WILL recommend buying a real starter guitar and going to a lesson. I'm afraid to say it, but I think you'll get laughed at if you bring that guitar.

Oh, and I'm intrigued as well. It looks interesting.
I haven't seen the in-game tutorial, but I doubt it actually teaches you how to play the guitar, and that's a major issue.

Playing the guitar isn't simply about learning songs - certainly in the first few months you have to spend a lot of time working on the very basic mechanics of everything. What you need to know to play the game probably won't correlate with what you actually need to know to play the guitar.

It'd be interesting to see what they've done, but personallyl I can't see it going into the level of detail required, or more importantly presenting a realistic timeframe. An in-game tutorial is usually something you breeze through in a few minutes, whereas if you're learning to play the guitar you're realistically going to be spending a few weeks just trying to change between the A and D chords smoothly and cleanly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Its always amazing to see the amount of bias thrown around in this particular forum...my personal two cents on the matter:

Are you having fun?

If yes, who gives a sh!t what these negative nancy's have to say?

Do you wanna be a serious guitar player, maybe form a band someday?

Maybe you should get lessons from a real person eventually, but for now you're fine. this will show you the basics and get you started. maybe you'll pickup some bad habits, maybe those habits will hurt you in the future, maybe you can/will unlearn them.

Best of luck.
I saw this 'Real' guitar in a Guitar Player magazine once, they reveiwed it on Rock Band 3: (Shit), reveiwed it actually playing it, and apparently the top 5 frets bending the strings they get stuck in the fretwire or something..

Rock band 3 is the same as Guitar hero, I'm assuming, Guitar Hero is fun, but on Guitar Hero Metallica I can play Sad But True in REAL LIFE on a REAL GUITAR, but on the little plastic mother****er with 5 buttons I have a much harder time (on medium).
Its nothing like a real guitar.
And I don't know who told you to alternate your picking, DOWNSTROKES are the best, if you play a fast song with all downstrokes, (I don't know, 16th note single string work at 170 beats per minute is a good start) then your a god.
Alternate and Tremelo pick for 32nd and 64ths. Don't be a tool and say 128ths.
METAL!
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I don't get it.

What ever happened to someone picking up a guitar and playing the ****ing thing like they did in the old days?

You kids and your bullshit now, I swear...

Also, how does Rock Band expect you to know how to change the strings?

The guitar came with a manual that discussing changing the strings, tuning the guitar, some of the midi settings, changing the batteries, adjusting the truss rod, and general care and maintenance stuff.

But from what I understand, changing the strings is pretty easy, isn't it? I know some guitars are more complex and you have to feed them through the back or whatever; but on the squire it's all right there on the front of the guitar.
Quote by Ultraussie
I saw this 'Real' guitar in a Guitar Player magazine once, they reveiwed it on Rock Band 3: (Shit), reveiwed it actually playing it, and apparently the top 5 frets bending the strings they get stuck in the fretwire or something..

Rock band 3 is the same as Guitar hero, I'm assuming, Guitar Hero is fun, but on Guitar Hero Metallica I can play Sad But True in REAL LIFE on a REAL GUITAR, but on the little plastic mother****er with 5 buttons I have a much harder time (on medium).
And I don't know who told you to alternate your picking, DOWNSTROKES are the best, if you play a fast song with all downstrokes, (I don't know, 16th note single string work at 170 beats per minute is a good start) then your a god.

I really hope you mean 8th notes.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Ultraussie

On rock band 3, you'd literally be playing a real guitar, not 5 buttons.

Oh and alternate pick whatever you want, I alternate pick 8ths at 120 BPM sometimes, sometimes I down pick 8ths at 170 BPM, big deal.
Quote by steven seagull
Playing the guitar isn't simply about learning songs - certainly in the first few months you have to spend a lot of time working on the very basic mechanics of everything. What you need to know to play the game probably won't correlate with what you actually need to know to play the guitar.

I gotta disagree with this statement sorry. Let's face why are we here on this site? Why did we pick up a guitar/bass whatever? Because we wanted to learn songs. Sure some will have heard songs and decided they want to learn to write songs. However everybody starts out wanting to learn that awesome song with that really cool guitar part!

In the first few months you don't care about what your playing and how your playing it, as long as it sounds like the song and sounds awesome it just doesn't matter.

EDIT: Ok just watched the videos. The first one that the OP posted wth the Crazy Train tab in, it's kind of off putting that it sounds to me like he's using a standard guitar hero controller. TO me if you can hear that clicking he aint playing a guitar because your guitar shouldn't click like that when your picking a string lol

The second video there, the in depth review, is pretty good IMO. It certainly looks like you could start learning through this tool and pick up a few songs. But you gotta be playing it on the hardest level because otherwise your not going to be learning the songs correctly. Just whatever you do, don't rely solely on this technology to learn. Your only going to learn a few songs from a game, you need to come away from it and learn from websites, magazines proper tutorial lessons available online and youtube.
Last edited by T.A.Z at Jul 27, 2011,
It seems like you could learn to play songs on the RB3 guitar. I see no difference between using RB3 and actually playing a guitar and looking up tabs for guitar pro. When you're first starting out, it's better to learn some easy songs first so you can get the hang of actually putting your fingers and hands in the right places. My advice would be to try it out, I don't think it could really hurt anything.
I think the main problem with this game, is that people will be EVEN MORE dependant on tabs and being told what to play

Also, a lot of people might end up skipping learning about thoery + guitar basics... Also, they wont bother learning songs by ear or doing ear training, because the game tells them everything on what to do...

I know people do this now with electric tuners and tabs (on the internet) but if people start doing this STRAIGHT away when they buy this game, they will get use to it and find it hard to stop learning by tab + game and start learning by ear...

BUT i think its a great learning tool