Hello, I was looking at getting the BYOC FET preamp pedal

http://buildyourownclone.com/fetpreamp.html

based off the Boss FA-1 preamp in an attempt at getting a more U2-influenced sound, but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with either the clone or the original (or any other FA-1 clones for that matter).

Also, I have the BYOC Triboost pedal already; would the FET boost pedal be significantly different from the clean boost on the Triboost? And how would stacking the triboost with the fet boost work out?

I'd be playing an American strat or Epi SheratonII into a Vox AC15. I am aiming for a clean chimey sound that with a little bit of dirt. I use a lot of delay with high feedback/intensity levels, so the notes linger on for a while and too much dirt sounds too messy after a while...
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Jul 25, 2011,
not to completely derail your thread, but how do you like your triboost? if i ever get round to building a pedal or two, it's on my shortlist.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The triboost is really neat in that it is 3 different types of boosts in one, but the only one that I really use is the germanium (treble) boost, although you can boost the mids or bass with the germanium transistor as well. It gives your tone a really crisp chime to it that goes really well coupled with a little bit of dirt (it's supposed to be a Rangemaster clone after all). The other two boosts are a "clean" MOSFET boost and a linear silicon boost. The MOSFET boost is okay, although it breaks up really quickly; I originally thought it was an issue with my pedal but it seems everyone complains about the same thing. That being said, the breakup is very sweet, not harsh, and sounds good (words are terrible for describing pedals lol). The silicon boost is just like the EHX linear boost and sounds good for what it is, but doesn't really add (or take away) from your tone.

I wanted the FET boost as a replacement for the "clean" boost for actual clean guitarwork, as the triboost clean setting is too dirty for what I want. All in all, the triboost is a useful toneshaping pedal to have in your arsenal, but while it's a 3 in 1 pedal, chances are you'll find 1 setting you like and stick with it (in my case, the germanium treble boost). I hope I answered your questions and feel free to ask more =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
thanks very much, that's just about answered it. I was hoping it could cover all my clean boosts in the one pedal... from the sounds of your (very honest, which is always more helpful) review, it looks like it might not do that.

On the one hand it'd still be nice to have, but on the other I can get a rangemaster clone without the other options for an awful lot less than the byoc one.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The BYOC is a fairly good clone of the Boss. I have heard an FA-1 in person and they sound quite similar to me... definitely adds that chimey character.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
yeah if you look on the byoc triboost forum, you'll see multiple people complain about the clean boost not being really clean at unity (or higher) volume, and there's a mod you can do to clean it up (adding a resistor before a cap), but at the cost of volume... I did the mod on mine and it doesn't really help, as when to increase the volume (to make up for lost volume), it just breaks up again.

Anyways, yeah I'll be getting the FA-1 clone soon; Dave, once I get it, I'll let you know how it handles as a clean boost if you'd like =)
Last edited by cheeekens at Jul 28, 2011,
that'd be great, thanks!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cheeekens
yeah if you look on the byoc triboost forum, you'll see multiple people complain about the clean boost not being really clean at unity (or higher) volume, and there's a mod you can do to clean it up (adding a resistor before a cap), but at the cost of volume... I did the mod on mine and it doesn't really help, as when to increase the volume (to make up for lost volume), it just breaks up again.

Anyways, yeah I'll be getting the FA-1 clone soon; Dave, once I get it, I'll let you know how it handles as a clean boost if you'd like =)

Hey mate, have you tried the BYOC FET PreAmp clone yet? Im considering buying one and I've got the same amp as you so just wondering how it sounds??
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1
Quote by cheeekens

Also how's the GGG Fuzz clone?? Im craving some green muffage sounds, and was considering this kit for ages...
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1