First post! Hi everyone..

This is basically a "which amp should I buy" post...

I just bought my first guitar in over 20 years - a Jackson PS4 Performer, but am in need of an amp. Been using a Peavy Basic 50 (bought in 1986-ish) bass amp, which is crackly and buzzes badly. I dug up my classic little yellow Yamaha amp seen here: (not my picture, but it a pic of the one I have). This amp is also beat up, crackly and buzzes. The guitar is fine, as is my current chord. I brought it to a friend's house and plugged the PS-4 into his Marshall stack, and it sounded amazing! I've yet to hear it play well in my house. I need a new (used) amp!

So I found this Line 6 Spider 3 - 75 watts amp + foot switch for $225, this Line 6 Spider 3 120 watts plus FBV Express Foot Pedal Controller for $175, and FINALLY this Fender Super Champ XD with foot switch for $250.

I believe the Fender is the best one being tube (or part-tube), but my spending limit is really $200 with a bit of stretching room... Stretching it to $250 is not going to be easy. It's a birthday present from my wife, but we're already flying out to Pearl Jam 20 concert in Wisconsin, so $$$ is VERY tight.

I need advice. Is the Fender really that much more worth it to push it, or are one of the Spider 3s fine? This is for a hobby - I'm not joining a band (yet), but I want something I can get the best milage out of - that will last a while, and of course get the best sound out of. I also found a used Fender Deluxe 900 listed as good for $200.

What do you think? Can anyone rank these amps, so if I can't get the one I want - I know where to go next. I plan on playing/writing/learning along the lines of the Allman Brothers to Maiden to Satch to the Dead to possibly Jazz - everything really as I hopefully develop my own sound. (Alternatively, should I just see if I can repair the Yamaha and use the money on other guitar needs like a stand or hard case?)

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for helping a brother out! Apologies for the long windedness...

BZ
No!!!! Cross out the spider. Get a Roland cube http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-20XL/ or a vox vt amp http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/vt20+.html instead. They are soooo much better than spider amps.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 25, 2011,
Being an owner of a Spider 3, and using other non tube amps I can tell you...The tone is crap.Spend that extra money and get something good.
I second that Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix line of amps.

But, on another note, I think that the Spider's get to bad a rep from the people here at UG. Yes, the tone isnt phenomenal, but it does have a very large list of effects and models that give you experience to work with at a low cost until you can afford something you can really appreciate.

The Vox Valvetronix most certainly sound better, I love mine, but they are almost twice what your budget is.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
You can find the cube 20xl for $150. Cube amps sound much better than spiders and are very durable and reliable. Ive had my 15x for 4 years and I've had no problems with it at all.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 25, 2011,
I'm happy I posted here - thank guys!

If I'm able to, should I go for the Fender SC XD? Or stick with the Roland, Vox, or Peavey?
My favorite is the SCXD. I love mine. Tube power section is the way to go. Awesome cleans, blues crunch, and marshall dirt. Metal is a bit lacking but you can always add a pedal.
Thanks again for the pointers. I'm working on getting that SC XD.

One last question: Fender Deluxe 900? Any opinions? It's $200 from Daddy's Junky Music and listed as good (not excellent or very good). Worth it? ( I'm trying to find some good info too.) Link is in the top post.
I had a Fender 900 Deluxe DSP a long time ago. I didn't know as much about gear or playing back then. It was a very loud amp and struck me as a bit harsh. I'd have to listen to it again, but I doubt that is would have anything on the SCXD except volume.