I've always fancied getting an upright bass, however the cost is a real put off.

Would it be conceivable to get a fretless violin bass, then fashion an endpin out of a metal rod which would screw into where the bottom strap pin would go? Anyone ever done this/seen it?

Cheers.
What you be trying to achieve with this? The upright sound? You're not going to get it doing that, and you'll probably look like a tool.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The sound could easily be manipulated by the right amp (I'm led to believe, I'm not that much of a bassist, but my brother is).

I want to do it to get an idea of what playing an upright bass is like, then maybe eventually getting an actual one, if I like it.
Then get an actual electric upright, it's still not the same as an actual upright but it's a better solution than raping a violin bass which will sound like arse.
I dunno, stagg EUB's go for ±350 euro here and I've been told they aren't half bad for what they're worth

Edit: Here's an example Just a bit more expensive than I thought.
Last edited by shmbluh12 at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by CrazyPigeon
The sound could easily be manipulated by the right amp (I'm led to believe, I'm not that much of a bassist, but my brother is).

Nah, it really can't.

If you want the sound, an idea I've been toying with lately has been to defret an Epiphone Zenith, string it with tapewounds and stick some foam under the strings near the bridge. I reckon it'd get pretty damn close... If only I had the money.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Isn't an electric upright bass like £500+, whereas you can pickup a violin bass for around £150?

Yes, but a violin bass with a long end pin isn't anything close to an upright, its just a bass guitar with a metal rod coming out of it.

An upright is a completely different animal then a bass guitar, and if you want to know what it feels and sounds like, the only real solution is to play one for yourself. If you really want to buy one, save your pennies and buy one, but propping up a bass guitar isn't a good solution.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
To be honest, I wouldn't waste my time with an upright bass 'cause they're not that much fun to play. It's just something to show off but that's about it. The roots of the electric bass actually lie in the attempt to make un upright bass easier to play. In other words, an e-bass is easier to play than an upright bass because that's the initial purpose of that instrument.

And that part about the violin bass: No, .. just no. That would look and sound like ass.
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^There'll be plenty of people, myself included, who will completely and utterly disagree with your first two sentences.

Doesn't really matter. The question was whether or not you could turn a violin bass in an upright bass and I think we can agree that that's a bad idea.

It's just that in my experience, I get pretty bored with playing an upright bass after a short while but I guess it just doesn't fit my playing style.
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by loaded_
To be honest, I wouldn't waste my time with an upright bass 'cause they're not that much fun to play. It's just something to show off but that's about it. The roots of the electric bass actually lie in the attempt to make un upright bass easier to play. In other words, an e-bass is easier to play than an upright bass because that's the initial purpose of that instrument.

And that part about the violin bass: No, .. just no. That would look and sound like ass.

Poor statement, but the history is correct. It wouldn't sound like ass it would sound incorrect, unless you just don't like the sound of violin basses.

To the TS, An upright sound doesn't come from it being played upright, it's played that way cause unless you're hagrid you're not sitting with one on your knee. So the whole putting a spike on the strap endpin would make you look kind of odd to put it nicely. I think the best two options aside from a real upright would be an acoustic bass with a nice pre amp, or piezo up a bass with mutes and flats.

just cause it looks like a violin and you could put a length of screw in the end pin makes not an upright.
To get an upright SOUND, learn how to palm mute and play with your thumb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP76f4XtlWk&feature=channel_video_title

In my experience, it's even better than the old, Tapewounds(or Flats)+Foam.

If you want the AESTHETIC of an upright, get an upright.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Flats and a foam mute is an old trick and it works really well, I do that will my acoustic. There's as big a difference between that and an upright as between other uprights.

Definitely flats over tapewounds in this case.
Quote by loaded_
Doesn't really matter. The question was whether or not you could turn a violin bass in an upright bass and I think we can agree that that's a bad idea.

It's just that in my experience, I get pretty bored with playing an upright bass after a short while but I guess it just doesn't fit my playing style.

That's a personal preference, not fact.

Uprights are a huge commitment from a financial and practice perspective. If you are an instant coffee type of person in your approach to musical instruments, an upright is not for you and you won't be able to put in the time and effort it takes to be decent at it.

I don't play it to be cool; because god knows a 5'4" woman playing an instrument larger than myself is visually humourous. I play it because I really love the instrument--its size and the organic quality of the sound. Its a physical instrument that some don't get or enjoy.
the dude from the slackers does something akin to this:

i think it's more for schtick than anything. still a solid player. one of my favorites.
#DTWD
Quote by anarkee
That's a personal preference, not fact.

Uprights are a huge commitment from a financial and practice perspective. If you are an instant coffee type of person in your approach to musical instruments, an upright is not for you and you won't be able to put in the time and effort it takes to be decent at it.

I don't play it to be cool; because god knows a 5'4" woman playing an instrument larger than myself is visually humourous. I play it because I really love the instrument--its size and the organic quality of the sound. Its a physical instrument that some don't get or enjoy.

I know it's a personal preference, that's why I said "in my experience..".

To anyone, I acknowledge that, in my first post, I stated my opinion as a given fact and that it was wrong to do so. If you enjoy playing an upright bass then go ahead and play it. The second part of that post, however, still remains true: trying to turn a violin bass into an upright bass will look stupid, still give the wrong sound and will not have the same feeling as an upright bass.
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by primusfan

i think it's more for schtick than anything. still a solid player. one of my favorites.

You could always take that a step farther and go with a Barker bass.

Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by primusfan

I'm sorry but that's pretty much what I think of when E said you'd look like a tool verbatim.