Pit,

I'm 16 years old and I work in the fast-food chain.

I usually work 6 hour shifts in which I get my regular 30min break. There is an odd time where I work a 5 hour shift but there is no mention of a break. My friends say that I should be getting a 15min break for my 5-hour shift.

I understand that if I were 18 then no break would be necessary or something like that, but since I'm a 'young worker', are my friends correct?

Thanks.
Username is from years ago, just saying
Just work through it. Or ask for it during down time of your 5 hour shift. People forget.
I've always operated on the, 'can i have no breaks at all through the day and go home early' approach.

Feels good, man.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Check your country's labor laws and your employer's policy. My friend works as a restaurant hostess and isn't guaranteed a break as far as I know, she's 17.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You are required by US law to be given by your employer the option to take a 30min break after working 6 hours. However, it is completely optional for your employer to give you a break after 5 hours or less.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 25, 2011,
I used to work for Best Buy and they were the kings of ****in their employess.

You got a 30 minute lunch break after 6 hours that was mandatory. So if you had a 6 hour shift, you got paid for 5.5 hours. So sometimes they would just schedule you for a 5.5 hour shift, which was what happened most of time, but occasionally you got scheduled for 6 which sucked donkey balls cause you were there another 30 minutes for no reason.

OT: What the crazy guy said
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You are required by US law to be given by your employer the option to take a 30min break after working 6 hours. However, it is completely optional for your employer to give you a break after 5 hours or less.

Canada
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't even take breaks.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
It usually depends on company policies. Like I work at a grocery store, and our shift time's are crazy-stupid. If we work 6 hours or under, we get one 15min paid break. Which is really annoying when I'm on register, because I end up standing in one spot for 3 hours straight, it's horrible. If we work anywhere from 6.25hrs to 7.5hrs, we get a 15min paid and a 30min unpaid break. If our shift is 8 or 8.5 hours, we get two paid breaks and a 30min unpaid break.

Getting shifts that are like 5.5 or 6 hours are terrible, and we tend to get those alot. This week, of my 28hrs, 18 of them are 6 hour shifts, because the this store hates their employees.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Why do they even give you breaks, paid or not?

I'd seriously prefer to work 6 hours straight and leave 15/30/45 minutes earlier. It's what i've done before and its just such a better way to work, you do it, then ****ing go home soon as you can. That's all you want from a temp job.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Why do they even give you breaks, paid or not?

I'd seriously prefer to work 6 hours straight and leave 15/30/45 minutes earlier. It's what i've done before and its just such a better way to work, you do it, then ****ing go home soon as you can. That's all you want from a temp job.

Because they have to. It's the law.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
To be honest mate, Blake 1221 says what I'm thinking. Work through it. If it's something they do with all the other 5-hour staff, then just suck it up.

You're 16, employers will rape you senseless one way or another. I bet you get paid peanuts as well. I went through the same thing, in the UK, when I was 17 I worked 8 hour shifts where getting a break was dependant upon whether there were any orders coming in. Which, at Heathrow Airport, meant you dont get breaks.
I know for my work which is also a fast food chain I only get a half hour break if Im scheduled to work over 5.5 hours.. no 15 minutes though (unless they're doing me a favour and I ask to grab a quick bite)
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
Quote by wahappen
Because they have to. It's the law.

Yeh i get that, but i should have the option to decline it and work without breaks, especially on temp jobs. And when i worked at a temp job i just came to an agreement with my employers for me to have no breaks and go home earlier.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Hmmm.

For working 6 hours you get a break for 30 minutes.

So for working 5 hours you get a break for X minutes.

6 hours= 360 minutes
5 hours= 300 minutes

Therefore, X= 30/360 * 300

You, Sir, are entitled to a twenty-five minute break.

Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Thing is, i'm only contracted 6 hours per day (i work much more due to demand, but eh). I have to be in the building from 9:30-3:30, because that's when i'm contracted, so i can't leave the break and leave earlier.
I work 8 hours a night, I get two paid 15 minute breaks and an unpaid half hour lunch break every shift, and they're not optional. Totally happy with that, I'd go insane without them. Sounds like you guys get screwed a bit up north.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by BladeSlinger
Canada
Well, then TS should be smart enough to look up Canadian labor laws and find out. It's easy to find on google, I'm sure.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, then TS should be smart enough to look up Canadian labor laws and find out. It's easy to find on google, I'm sure.

Sam, ucrazzeh!
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
If you're in Ontario you should get a 15 every 4 hours. That's how it usually was for me.

Could be different if you're unionized.
If they're ****ing you over there's always a way to give it right back to them.

take me for example, I get to bring my equipment home at night, which lets me do about 500$ in side contracts a week!

hooray for using that mushy stuff in my head.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

labour laws are different from province to province, so TS, you must look up the laws of the province you are from.
my job rules. ROCKWORLDEAST

Quote by GisleAune
She is new to the internet, it seems, because there's nothing between extreme love and furious hate here, sadly.
Quote by axethrower13
I used to work for Best Buy and they were the kings of ****in their employess.

You got a 30 minute lunch break after 6 hours that was mandatory. So if you had a 6 hour shift, you got paid for 5.5 hours. So sometimes they would just schedule you for a 5.5 hour shift, which was what happened most of time, but occasionally you got scheduled for 6 which sucked donkey balls cause you were there another 30 minutes for no reason.

OT: What the crazy guy said

Try working for target where they schedule for 5 hours and 45 minutes regularly with only one 15 minute break during that. I'd much rather do 6 hour shifts so that I can get a meal break in there despite staying an extra 15. You crazy.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.