So im on the market for a new amp, preferably tube, but im open to all ideas. Once upon a time had a Crate blue voodoo head, which was great for the price, but the sound was too trebly and shrill. Loved the natural sound of a tube amp though. So im back for another.

This amp wont be gigged with, so good sound at lower volumes is a must. My genres are mainly 80s rock/metal, but can range to newer styles of metal. So a heavy distortion channel is preferable, but i would also like decent cleans. My budge is about 500-600 USD right now, could push a bit more if worth it. Willing to go new or used, just kind of a risk going used.

Amps ive researched so far:
Blackstar ht-5 mini halfstack: seems like a consistently good amp.
Randall T2C: Seems badass, but the price is a little concerning
Bugera 6262 212: Not sure if im heading down the same treble path as the blue voodoo here.
Bugera 333XL 212: seems a little warmer than the 6262, also, the QC stories i hear are a bit discerning.
Peavey XXX super 40: One on ebay right now for about 500 shipped?
Peavey Valveking: Are these as good as the rave reviews they get, loving the price.

ANy other options im missing out there?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Peavey 6505? From what I hear its a metal amp, and its apparently much better than the valve king. Can get yourself one for around 600.
Ive listened to some sound samples of it, sounded alot like my blue voodoo?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
honestly out of all of those id narrow it down to two of them

1: 333 because of its versatility but then again do you really need xxx amounts of watts if your not gigging?
2: ht-5 because it fits what you want. tubes and non gigging. works well for 80s metal

but at the end of the day what is the possibility that you would start up a group in the future? for me if there was any idea of one day starting up a band again to play live id get something like the 333 because it will do what you want and then some plus it has the volume to play with a full band.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Peavey Valveking Head's sound amazing and I know that from experience, but you gotta get the EQ to match your guitar, it can be really trebly if you crank the treble, but if you roll the treble down a bit, it sounds amazing.
Quote by iheartgun
honestly out of all of those id narrow it down to two of them

1: 333 because of its versatility but then again do you really need xxx amounts of watts if your not gigging?
2: ht-5 because it fits what you want. tubes and non gigging. works well for 80s metal

but at the end of the day what is the possibility that you would start up a group in the future? for me if there was any idea of one day starting up a band again to play live id get something like the 333 because it will do what you want and then some plus it has the volume to play with a full band.

Hmmm, i mean, its ALWAYS a possibility, but i would rather buy a completely separate amp for gigging. I just need a good sounding tube amp that can be played at apartment levels. i went overkill buying a halfstack last time. I dont wanna make that mistake again, because it was too loud on 1. :\ The HT5 seems like a winner so far...

I will probably test a valveking at GC next time im there, i think they sell them? Is the valveking's distortion pretty saturated stock?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
the ht-5 is the winner for volume friendly places but 5 watts can get loud.

a valve king is going to be loud enough to blow down doors and in your case it will definitely piss off neighbors. plus you wouldn't even be able to use any of its full potential. i think the combos are 50 watts and that is stupid loud. id buy one just to mod it and turn it into a 50 watt head tho.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Egnater rebel or tweaker.......
i cant believe i forgot to mention. i just got a new 5w amp. take a look at a jet city picovalve. with a boost it can do 80s stuff like ratt poison and stuff like that. its worth a look. plus guitar center is practically giving them away. i got mine for 165usd brand new.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
i cant believe i forgot to mention. i just got a new 5w amp. take a look at a jet city picovalve. with a boost it can do 80s stuff like ratt poison and stuff like that. its worth a look. plus guitar center is practically giving them away. i got mine for 165usd brand new.

Wow, may check out that jet city amp...i looked at them earlier, but they didnt seem high gain enough...but for that price, maybe a blackstar tube pedal could boost it?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
blue voodoo....to trebly? i cant get enough out of mine o.0 anyway, ive been reccommending this amp a lot revecntley cause i really fell in love with it after i played it . The Carvin V3 u can find used all voer Ebay for anywhere from $450-$650 (from what ive seen) does pretty much everything man. but out of the list you gave, that peavey XXX sounds good
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
blue voodoo....to trebly? i cant get enough out of mine o.0 anyway, ive been reccommending this amp a lot revecntley cause i really fell in love with it after i played it . The Carvin V3 u can find used all voer Ebay for anywhere from $450-$650 (from what ive seen) does pretty much everything man. but out of the list you gave, that peavey XXX sounds good

Ill check out the V3...always wondered about carvin amps.

Mine sounded really bright...maybe it was just my all maple ltd lol.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
The ht-5 isnt a full tube. Any of the other options are better than the ht-5, not cause the ht-5 isnt all tube but cause hte other options are just plain better. I have a Bugera 6260 and its a great amp, but not what your looking for. The 6262 isnt that much better. Look at something else.

The 333xl is more of what your looking for but look into the XXX first. The XXX is a great amp that should do what your looking for. The valveking is alright but it always seems like a person has better options than a valveking. They take some work, but it could be a good amp for you. See if you can try these amps before you buy of course or at teh least look at some youtube videos.

Dont disregard the Egnater reccomendations, great amps.
I played an egnater tweaker and it had no drive, it might have been messed up (GC floor model).

The carvin V3M looks really promising.

Ill check out those marshalls as well.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Here is what i have planned as the next purchase: Carvin V3M, and a JCA 12s cab.

are there any foreseeable problems with this rig?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Ive listened to some sound samples of it, sounded alot like my blue voodoo?

^UMM prob not

Peavey 5150/6505
peavey xxx
Maybe a mesa mark III of some sort I dont know shit about them really though.

Theres also a few mesa single recs on ebad theres one that will probly go for about $600-650 in good condit.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jul 30, 2011,
umm...read the post above yours...and tell me what you think of that combo.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Here is what i have planned as the next purchase: Carvin V3M, and a JCA 12s cab.

are there any foreseeable problems with this rig?

Good choice, were I in the market, I'd probably go this route as well.
Quote by Arby911
Good choice, were I in the market, I'd probably go this route as well.

Cool, the carvin cab is 230, so i figured id save some money. Ive heard good stuff about JCA
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
ii think if the TS find a rectoverb 112 combo hes set (it might be tought finding one for 600 tho)