So I got a new amp. A Roland JC-77. Like the 120 just less features and worse on board chorus. I can get amazing clean tones and it processes effects wonderfully, but the on board distortion is horrendous. Previously I'd just use the built-in distortion , but now I'm looking into buying a pedal.

My budget currently is about 50-100 dollars. I went out to guitar center and tried a couple things out and even though I've heard Boss DS-1's are pieces of sh*t , it actually sounded pretty decent. For being about 30-40 dollars less than an Ibanez TS-9 or something else, it doesn't seem like a bad deal...

But I'm wondering if I should get a more expensive pedal or just go with the DS-1? If I do go with a different pedal , are there any recommendations? I play a wide variety , so versatility is helpful.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
You could always get the ds-1 and just mod it.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
what type of modding? I'm decent with a soldering iron

Quote by Lugnaz987
what type of modding? I'm decent with a soldering iron

The kneely mod would be great, or you could just look up "ds-1 mods on google". Or you could always go ask someone in the gb and c forum what mods you should do to it.
+1 on modding the ds-1
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
If you want a bit more variety you could go for a Boss BD-2, it may be called a Blues Driver but you can get some great tones for most genres. You could try the Boss OS-2 as well, it's a overdrive/distorsion pedal and you can have best of both worlds and anywhere inbetween.

The best thing to do is do some reseach, you can listen to samples of Boss' Pedals on their site or go and try some others in a store.
I heard the os-2 doesnt sound that great(or course you could mod it though)
You can buy Keeley mod kits.

Get one of these, a used DS-1 for $20. You have spend about $40 bucks, for the cost of a new one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keeley-Ultra-Mod-Kit-Boss-DS-1-DS1-w-True-Bypass-/180570394406?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a0ad58f26

I have never seen one get one from that specific guy, but you get the idea.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
You can buy Keeley mod kits.

Get one of these, a used DS-1 for $20. You have spend about $40 bucks, for the cost of a new one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keeley-Ultra-Mod-Kit-Boss-DS-1-DS1-w-True-Bypass-/180570394406?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a0ad58f26

I have never seen one get one from that specific guy, but you get the idea.

^this
^^
If your budget is $50-$100, follow this advice and go used, then pick up another pedal or two used.

$40 for a new DS-1 or SD-1, but you can get them for $25 used easily--the things are built tough enough to never go bad, they flood the used market, and are fun mod platforms. If you like the DS and want pedals through the clean amp for your dirt tone, then get a used one and buy a nice used OD, fuzz, or different sounding distortion, (whatever suits you) to go with it and make your "third channel."

Of course, this advice comes from a pedal junkie who would love to get a cheap distortion pedal up front and continue to research on how to spend the rest of my pedal cash.
I don't know how I feel about modding, I just finished working on making a compressor pedal with a friend and am kind of soldered out...

I'm kind of just looking for a decent pedal that I won't have to f*ck with too much, ya'know?

I guess I could just buy a DS-1 with a Keeley mod already "installed" ... It looks like there's a couple of those on ebay.

Last edited by Lugnaz987 at Jul 26, 2011,
I have a DS-1 modded with the Monte Allums "Roxx Mod;" it has three sounds: stock, diode/led and just diodes. It sounds much better (I like the diodes; I actually modded a switch for my ts9 with six extra diodes ). Anyway, its like 20-some bucks for it, only like 5-6 things you need to solder in.

Oh and +1 for the sounding crappy through an SS when stock.
Gear:
Gibson '61 SG (57 Classics)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Gibson '08 Explorer (500T)
Soldano Avenger 100
No Name 4X12 w/ Texas Heat+V12
I Want More Stuff
Well like you had said you were looking at the 50-100 range so you still have thigns like the TS8 and 9 in your range, Hardwire CM2, you could do that premodded keeley mod ds1. Lots of great options!

IMO You don't need to spend anymore than 100 bucks to get a really good OD pedal.

I have a CM2 and really like it. And I got it for 50 bucks used from GC used online.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Another vote for the Keeley modded ds-1. I run one through a variety of solid state amps and it always sounds good(you can get a lot of tones, too).
I have the Boss OS2, I love that thing. It's about $80, and you get a bit more sounds out of it. But the Boss DS1 is also good, so whichever you prefer.
Gear
-Fender HSS MiM Deluxe Strat
-Guitar Research T30r Tube amp
Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss BF-2 Flanger
SKB PS-8 8-Port 9VDC Powered Pedalboard
Ovation Applause AE-128
Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11
Quote by guy_tebache
I'd mod the DS-1 and get a big muff

Now THAT sounds like a plan.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Now THAT sounds like a plan.

Run the DS-1 (I actually use a DS-2 for this) into the big muff and the distortion is great
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
You might want to have a look at the Proco Rat
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
DS-1 with Keeley mod would work best in my opinion.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.