for a amp thats non master volume (like a 50w plexi reissue)

does a volume box like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLUME-BOX-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-ATTENUATOR-MARSHALL-AMP-/200621054607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5f25a8f#ht_1237wt_905

in the effects loop simply act like a master volume mod that would be done to the plexi (post phase inverter). I can't go to the expense of a propper power brake attenuator and have heard they can damage transformers.

I also lan on running a tubescreamer infront with the gain maxed. would this make thewhole thing sound terrible?
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
i dont have any experience of use with attenuators or volume boxes, but my guess its the volume box should go between the amp and the cab, or else it will act more as a volume pedal than as an amp master volume.
But if you want it to act like a volume pedal, sure, put it in the fx loop

EDIT:i just checked that ebay page, and it says there it should be used in the fx loop, not between the amp and cab, i dont know why or what would happen if you did it, but if i were you, i would just test it, the key word here is experimenting, the same goes for the tubescreamer, it can be awesome, or it can turn out pretty noisy, just test it out
Last edited by tntero at Jul 25, 2011,
it would wreck the amp and the cab putting it there, it wouldn't handle it well, you can't put something ;ike that in the effects oop unlessit's an active attenuator
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
Quote by ierostyle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLUME-BOX-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-ATTENUATOR-MARSHALL-AMP-/200621054607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5f25a8f#ht_1237wt_905

in the effects loop simply act like a master volume mod that would be done to the plexi (post phase inverter). I can't go to the expense of a propper power brake attenuator and have heard they can damage transformers.

I also lan on running a tubescreamer infront with the gain maxed. would this make thewhole thing sound terrible?

It should act like a master like you want though not post phase inverter.

Also, most people who use an od pedal to boost tube amp set the gain all the way down and the level up. This turns it into a volume boost on the front end that makes the amp distort earlier and changes the one some depending on the pedal.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by ierostyle
it would wreck the amp and the cab putting it there, it wouldn't handle it well, you can't put something ;ike that in the effects oop unlessit's an active attenuator

Uh... what? A volume knob in a box goes in the effects loop. A power brake or something similar would go between cab and head.
^ correct

I have a volume box that I sometimes use in the FX loop of my Splawn (similar to your Plexi) and it works as you described. They can suck some tone though hence the term 'suck box' has been coined. Running an OD pedal up front is fine too. I have 3.
Quote by ierostyle

they do not damage transformers. I use an attenuator as part of my chain and have been for years
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I'm guessing that this will be the way to go when my plexi arives! apparently there is an input and output level on the tc nova system I get friday, maybe I can get that low enough to act as the volume, I may get the volume box until I can get to the uk Voodoo Amps shop and get the gain and master volume control mods put on my amp, but with buying a plexi and a nova system this summer I doubt I can get the mods as well for a little while
Quote by Bazilisck311