So, I'm actually a guitar player but I do covers with my friend who has drums. I have an shure sm57 and I was wondering that what would be the best place to put it? I made one cover with my friend all ready with the mic placed on top of the drum kit facing down, but the problem was that even though I used logic pro 9 to add reverb and put EQ in it I couldn't get the bass drum stand out and I was wondering is there a better place to place the mic. Here's the cover btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ddviMGTO8 <-- so mic placement suggestions?
The SM57 probably isn't the best choice for the kick drum. You really need something designed for that purpose. The SM57 is great for miking cabs and such, but not for bass drums.
Quote by KG6_Steven
The SM57 probably isn't the best choice for the kick drum. You really need something designed for that purpose. The SM57 is great for miking cabs and such, but not for bass drums.

I know it's not exactly suited to it, but the '57 does technically go down to 50Hz (if I remember correctly) which is usually around where people would HPF the kick for most modern metal mixes.

Anyway, I actually got a pretty good sound with a '58 (almost identical mic) based on the suggestions of a producer who has worked with Biffy Clyro amongst others (sorry to namedrop, he taught a class last year at uni ), which was to find the sound hole on top of the kick (should be next to the tom mounts) and place the mic facing towards the drummer, so the middle of the capsule is above the middle of the sound hole. The air rushing through there will give you a pretty powerful kick sound; the cymbals will cut through as they cut through into most mics to a degree; and you raise or lower the toms to alter their volume. The only thing lacking is balance between rack toms and floor toms, but it's a surprisingly good balance for just one mic placed centrally.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
^^ interesting suggestion!

Outside the box for sure.

As for a 57 on the kick? Sure, why not? Something else you might try is to take the front head off the kick (if there is one) and stick the mic out of a gym shoe - yes, I'm serious!

Angle it OUT of the drum so that the wave hits the back of the diaphragm. The reason a lot of kicks sound thin is that the sound wave impinges on the front of the diaphragm when the actual head is moving the opposite direction from the perspective of the overheads.

Think about it: if you push on the kick head, then it moves out, away from your overheads. If you mic with the 57 towards the other side of the head, then the 57 "sees" the head move in, towards the mic.

The "in" and "out" signals, mixed, cancel each other.

A "Classic" drum mic technique (straight out of, like, every recording textbook ever) is to use a D112, which I believe was designed for stand-up bass or something. It looks like an egg.

..it actually aint a bad guitar mic!

Anyway, the classic technique is to lay the D112 on a blanket or something, again pointed OUT of the kick at about a 60 degree angle - the angulation will determine the tone of the sound.

I found that using a shoe absorbs less bass and makes the kick thumpier, while still holding the mic still and providing isolation.

It's the same technique I described above minus the D112, substituting an SM57.

The main difference is a D112 has (I'm guessing) about a 1-1.5" diaphragm - pretty big anyway, where the 57 has about a 1/2-3/4" diaphragm. Bigger diaphragm = better bass response.

But a 57 would have the presence peak at 2.5, since it is based on a vocal mic design (the 58 - it's a 58 without the ball.) The presence peak will give you that "click" that is present in metal kick sounds. A D112 won't do that quite as well, it's more of a thumpidy kind of sound.

Let us know what you find out!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

You could try the trash mic style. Put it just over the drummers head aimed down at the kick and compress the s*** out of it.
It's best mixed in with a fully miked kit for an extra dirty drum sound, but on it's own it isn't bad for a single mic.
If you're looking for a very clean polished drum sound, you wont get it with one mic no matter what mic you have.