Bought this off of ebay last week for a project guitar, which i'll be converting from it's (crappy) current state to my own budget version of the ESP Alexi Scythe.

I'm thinking black, with red bevels, and either the EMG-ALX, or an EMG 81 as a single bridge p'up.
I'll be filling in the neck p'up cavity with wood, then leveling that to the rest of the body.
I'm contemplating filling in the front where the control cavity opens up, and routing out the back, so it opens from the back. (opinions?)
I'll also be throwing in completely new wiring and new tuners.
What is a good budget floyd tremolo? are the GFS "super heavy duty" FR's decent? (http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-BLACK-Super-Heavy-Duty-Floyd-Rose-trem-BRASS-STEEL_p_510.html)

It's a 90's Jackson Performer Offset V. the previous owner had the bright idea to make it into a polka-dot rhoads paint job with a can of white spray paint, so it looks REALLY shitty.

Pictures can be found here, on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120749461565&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_949

So far, i've got about half of the back sanded down to bare wood, which took me about 20 minutes. Tomorrow, i'll be stripping the hardware off and sanding the rest of the body and headstock.

Any advice on easy ways to strip the paint would be GREATLY appreciated.
so far, i've just been using rather coarse sand paper to get where i am, and it's working decently.

The action was insanely high (about half an inch off of the 12th fret, but after setting up the FR, it's a ton better. Still a little high for my tastes though:

I took about 20 minutes to set up the FR and get this thing into tune, and it plays really nicely for an amateur FR setup, and strings that are probably 5 years old.
(I'd like to send a thanks to everyone who has put instructions for setting up an FR, as this was my first FR setup and it went quite well if i do say so myself.
.)

PICTURES ARE UP! ALBUM IS HERE:
http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i421/larson8er1911/jackson%20project/
Sorry for the walls of text; this is my first NGD on UG, and i wanted to get everything in this post.

EDIT: ADDED PICTURES AND MORE DETAIL
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Last edited by larson8er at Jul 26, 2011,
poly stripper to remove paint easily.
There is a non toxic paint stripper ive got that works really well, you have to leave it on overnight though, can't remember the brand, just google nontoxic paint stripper.

get sum pics up!
I'd have current status pictures up already, but my only camera is on my iPod, and i need Wi-Fi to upload those pictures to my photobucket, and alas, no wireless at home. i'll have progress pictures up tomorrow once i get to work.

What's the general opinion of my idea so far? do you all think it will work?
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by larson8er
I'm thinking black, with red bevels, and either the EMG-ALX, or an EMG 81 as a single bridge p'up.

Good idea. red bevels is class.

I'll be filling in the neck p'up cavity with wood, then leveling that to the rest of the body.

No dramas here, simple enough to do.

I'm contemplating filling in the front where the control cavity opens up, and routing out the back, so it opens from the back. (opinions?)

Cant see any problems. If the cavity is a hole all the way through, that'd make life easier, other wise its just a matter of drilling the cavity all the way through, fitting a thin peice of wood on the front were the cavity is atm and getting a cavity cover for the back.
I reckon this would be a good idea as it'll look way cleaner without that control plate/ pickguard thats on it currently.

I took about 20 minutes to set up the FR and get this thing into tune, and it plays really nicely for an amateur FR setup, and strings that are probably 5 years old.
(I'd like to send a thanks to everyone who has put instructions for setting up an FR, as this was my first FR setup and it went quite well if i do say so myself.)

Not too sure on the FR, is there something terribly wrong with the one on it?
I would find out if replacement FR will fit perfectly and if so, you can always upgrade it after you're done with the other mods.
Quote by GandalfWh1te

Cant see any problems. If the cavity is a hole all the way through, that'd make life easier, other wise its just a matter of drilling the cavity all the way through, fitting a thin peice of wood on the front were the cavity is atm and getting a cavity cover for the back.
I reckon this would be a good idea as it'll look way cleaner without that control plate/ pickguard thats on it currently.

That's exactly what i was thinking! Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote by GandalfWh1te

Not too sure on the FR, is there something terribly wrong with the one on it?
I would find out if replacement FR will fit perfectly and if so, you can always upgrade it after you're done with the other mods.

The current FR is decent-ish. it seems to hold tuning well enough so far, but the bar fits so darn loosely that it's impossible to do flutters or anything short of a dive-bomb.
I may be able to tweak the bar to get it tight again, but i'll definitely be looking for an upgrade.
That GFS trem says it will fit ANY trem post spacing, which i guess is true since the top knife edge is flat instead of a "C" shape like the bottom one. (look at the picture on GFS and you should see what I mean)

As far as the poly stripper goes, is that something that the local ace hardware store should have? the "non-toxic" alternative isn't too important to me, as i have a well ventilated work space at my disposal.

Thanks for your help so far!
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Tighten the bar tension through the back. You'll see an allen hole on the reverse side of the thread insert where the bar goes.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Tighten the bar tension through the back. You'll see an allen hole on the reverse side of the thread insert where the bar goes.

There was no tension screw on the backside of the tremolo.

UPDATE:

95% of paint is stripped, and the guitar is completely torn apart!
I talked to one of my mentor/partners today, and he is quite gung-ho on helping me with this. (This is great because he has a FULL machine shop and tons of wood-working experience)
He has suggested finding a blank of Alder to make a new body out of, just using this current poplar body as a template. - We'll see.

Here is a link the the photobucket album with pictures from start to current progress!
http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i421/larson8er1911/jackson%20project/
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST, BUT THIS IS WHERE I AM AT.

Started with power sander this morning, and finished the back:

Then stripped all hardware off and finished sanding (almost) all of the body:

Took the Broken point what looked crappy:

And made it into a nice looking point (sorta):

PS: Sorry for the low quality pictures, it's the best i can do at work.

I also sanded off the jackson logo from the headstock:

Here is where we stand: (Note: Neck is unbolted from body, it's just in the pocket to fit in the case again)

Anyone have tips for cleaning/polishing the fretboard?
Tips for making the neck smoother? I've read about scuffing off the poly on the back, i think?
Any tips in general for things to do with everything in pieces?
any praise? This is my first project, so please tell me what i'm going right and/or wrong!
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Last edited by larson8er at Jul 26, 2011,
No tips there other than 400 grit sandpaper and steel wool, but can I get a pic of the underside of the trem, please?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Sure thing, I'll have that up momentarily.

EDIT: Here are two shots of the bottom of the trem

The bar and the collar that the bar fits into are separate, and when fully threaded are a sloppy fit and angled back, about 1 oclock position when looking down from where you would be playing.
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Last edited by larson8er at Jul 27, 2011,
O.o Now how about the bottom of that threaded insert. I swear all Floyd trems and licensed trems should have an adjustment nut.

Stupid name.

SHOULD is the operative word there, my friend.
There are no extra threads in the floyd.
I'm seriously considering the GFS trem that I linked to in my first post as a starter trem.
I looked more closely at the knife edges today, and they aren't TOO worn, but they are dull.
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc