I got a great deal on a ESP EC-1000 with EMG's. I couldn't pass it up. I want to switch the pickups to a gold color to match the rest of the hardware. It has the EMG 60/81 combo. Since I'm replacing the pickups I was wondering if I should go with a different combination of the 60/81/85. I mostly play Led Zeppelin so I'm looking for an EMG combination as close to the PAF Gibson LP pickups. The 60/81 combination does LZ very nicely. I was just wondering if it could get better.
I'd just scrap the EMGs altogether and get some vintagey passives. The Dimarzio PAF 36ths are excellent.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Lol disregard the previous statements. EMG's can do anything, even sparkly nice cleans. I use an 81(b)/60(n) set and it does metal, jazz, country, and pretty much anything you could possibly want. If you want a more vintage-y sound, you could always use an 85(b)/60(n). Ive also heard of people using the 60 in the bridge, but Ive never tried it. The 60 is the best pickup for cleans, especially in the neck, but getting an 81 to sound good is quite easy. A nice tube compressor does wonders for the 81, adding warmth and leveling the sound out quite nicely. Otherwise, the 60 is great by itself clean, but for my clean tone, my fx chain goes like this:

Tube Compressor -> Chorus -> Reverb

Thats all you really need to make it sound great, but dont over do the chorus or reverb.

This is what my clean sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOWqkLNECk

(Do note that the pickups are passive in this link, but my EMGs sound the same.)

Now as for distortion/OD, the 81 does that very well, and the 60 works well for smooth leads. Also you can use your volume/tone knobs to dial it in as well.

Hope this helps!
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by Lovecannon
Lol disregard the previous statements. EMG's can do anything, even sparkly nice cleans. I use an 81(b)/60(n) set and it does metal, jazz, country, and pretty much anything you could possibly want.
Hope this helps!

+1 most people stereo type EMG's as just for br00tz, but they can really be nice sounding for any genre.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Lovecannon
Lol disregard the previous statements. EMG's can do anything, even sparkly nice cleans. I use an 81(b)/60(n) set and it does metal, jazz, country, and pretty much anything you could possibly want. If you want a more vintage-y sound, you could always use an 85(b)/60(n). Ive also heard of people using the 60 in the bridge, but Ive never tried it. The 60 is the best pickup for cleans, especially in the neck, but getting an 81 to sound good is quite easy. A nice tube compressor does wonders for the 81, adding warmth and leveling the sound out quite nicely. Otherwise, the 60 is great by itself clean, but for my clean tone, my fx chain goes like this:

Tube Compressor -> Chorus -> Reverb

Thats all you really need to make it sound great, but dont over do the chorus or reverb.

This is what my clean sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOWqkLNECk

(Do note that the pickups are passive in this link, but my EMGs sound the same.)

Now as for distortion/OD, the 81 does that very well, and the 60 works well for smooth leads. Also you can use your volume/tone knobs to dial it in as well.

Hope this helps!

I'm not saying they won't do it, infact I love EMGs and get pissed off when people say that too. But, if he's only going to be playing Zeppelin type stuff, he'll get a lot closer with a passive. Most EMGs have a natural low and high pass filter while more vintagey passives don't, so he'll obviously get closer with a PAF style pickup.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

I agree... The EMG's I have now 60/81 sound great when dialed in for Zeppelin. I also have another ESP EC-1000 with a burstbucker pro neck and a burstbucker type 1. So I would like to stick with EMG's on this guitar. I was just wondering if there was a better pickup combo than the 60/81 for Zeppelin tone. Thanks for the input so far! And yes... I do realize a lot of Zeppelin songs were recorded with a Tele.
Quote by Twistedrock
I'm not saying they won't do it, infact I love EMGs and get pissed off when people say that too. But, if he's only going to be playing Zeppelin type stuff, he'll get a lot closer with a passive. Most EMGs have a natural low and high pass filter while more vintagey passives don't, so he'll obviously get closer with a PAF style pickup.

Yes, he *could* do that, but he also said he was looking to switch between different EMG pickups, he'd have to go through a lot more work and money to go passive then to just switch the emgs.

But to be honest, when it comes down to it, if you know how to EQ and dial in tones, then the pickups you use wont make that big of a difference.

If you want to keep active pickups, since the EC-1000 is a mahogany body, you'd be fine just sticking with the 81/60 you got. The 85 might be too muddy, but it does work well as a bridge pickup in brighter guitars like maple, etc etc. You could also try switching the 60 and 81 so they'd be 60(b)/81(n). Might be interesting, since they are both ceramic pickups the 60 would probably sound good as a bridge. It'd probably have a better bass/mid response than the 81 would. But ive never tried it, so Idk.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Finger Cramp
I agree... The EMG's I have now 60/81 sound great when dialed in for Zeppelin. I also have another ESP EC-1000 with a burstbucker pro neck and a burstbucker type 1. So I would like to stick with EMG's on this guitar. I was just wondering if there was a better pickup combo than the 60/81 for Zeppelin tone. Thanks for the input so far! And yes... I do realize a lot of Zeppelin songs were recorded with a Tele.

Well if you want a meat-ier more vintage-y tone you could always use the neck pickup when you're playing. :|

Or as I said try switching the 81/60 around. Ive heard the 81 sounds good in the neck, and I imagine the 60 wouldnt sound bad as a bridge. Since they are so easy to switch, give it a shot, you might just like it
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by EspTro
+1 most people stereo type EMG's as just for br00tz, but they can really be nice sounding for any genre.

the 81 and 60 are too agressivly voiced IMO for things like jazz and country, but the 60 does otherwise have nice cleans
Also, I forgot about the 60a pickup, which is a 60, but has an alnico magnet. :\

And on a side note, you could also always try one of the weirder EMG pickups like the 58, which is apparently a good blues/rhythm pickup and has a vintage tone to it, but its noisier than a regular ol' EMG. Also, theres the H and HA pickups, which are both single coils in a humbucker housing, and the HA has an alnico magnet.

Quote by Seanthesheep
the 81 and 60 are too agressivly voiced IMO for things like jazz and country, but the 60 does otherwise have nice cleans

Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. EMG pickups were originally designed for jazz guitarists, look it up. As for country - an acoustic is better suited, but EMGs work just fine for electric guitar-based country. The 60 is not an aggressive pickup by any means..
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by Lovecannon
Also, I forgot about the 60a pickup, which is a 60, but has an alnico magnet. :\

And on a side note, you could also always try one of the weirder EMG pickups like the 58, which is apparently a good blues/rhythm pickup and has a vintage tone to it, but its noisier than a regular ol' EMG. Also, theres the H and HA pickups, which are both single coils in a humbucker housing, and the HA has an alnico magnet.

Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. EMG pickups were originally designed for jazz guitarists, look it up. As for country - an acoustic is better suited, but EMGs work just fine for electric guitar-based country. The 60 is not an aggressive pickup by any means..

The 81 is deff too agressive for cleans, and the 60 can be at time for me. thats just my opinions and I love the EMGs i have in 2 of my guitars, but i prefer passives for cleans

and yes I know EMGs were designed for jazz, but i think somewhere along the lines the original jazz plan changed
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
The 81 is deff too agressive for cleans, and the 60 can be at time for me. thats just my opinions and I love the EMGs i have in 2 of my guitars, but i prefer passives for cleans

Well, the 81 by itself sounds a bit thin and treble-y, but with a tube compressor its quite good. Add a smidgen of chorus and reverb and you got yourself some tone. As for the 60, it sounds great no matter what you do.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
well I agree, with effects it can sound awesome, but then again alot of pickups can if you add effects.

w/e this is just going to be some huge argument over a matter of opinions :S