e---5-4-3-2-
b--------------

on a lick like this, do you have all your fingers on the string or one finger fretted at a time?

i don't know if that is the most efficient and clean way to play a descending lick like that.

I know if it is an ascending lick i wouldn't have one finger on the fretboard after hitting the first note.
Last edited by musicandthewave at Jul 25, 2011,
I think it would depend on what that phrase then goes into. I try to play economically so if I were to play that I would play it without all fingers fretted before hand. But again I think it depends as to what the next piece of music after that is.
Keep all four notes fretted at first.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I would fret them one at a time as if you have all four on the fretboard at once, then I find it harder to lift one at a time which seems to cause me to tense up so I play it slower.
I do a lot of exercises that require me to fret with all four finger at once. Like others have said i think it just depends what came before or what comes next.
I'm a Schecter fanboy and my opinions are facts.
No, I don't. I only put a finger on a fret when I use it. Or if I'm pulling off to it, ever-so-slightly before hand. I don't like leaving my fingers on the neck.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by xevious1
all depends on what else is in that song, what are you coming out of and what are you going into

I can't see an example of when that would be a factor.
Only fret what you must to play something, otherwise you're just doing more work than you have to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I wouldn't fret them all at once except if it was a legato run. But that made me think if it's a good idea even then? This might seem like a hijack but how would you guys play it if you were only to play pull-offs?
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3