so ya, I need MAJOR help, I really want to learn how to play songs by ear, but I dont know any of the technics or anything, so please reply with tips
Learn intervals. Then learn what the individual notes sound like? idk, never tried that, always just "stumbled" into a song when messing around.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Same Haha i just play chords and im like hey that sounds like that song LOL although it kinda comes as you play...just keep trying. Also if you could listen to the bassline of the song and match it to a certain note on guitar...and then play the chord that corresponds to that note then BAM you got it going on
Yeah, I play bass, not guitar, but yeah, good advice, yeah. Yeah!
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Metalkid94
Also if you could listen to the bassline of the song and match it to a certain note on guitar...and then play the chord that corresponds to that note then BAM you got it going on

what about inversio... couldn't even keep a straight face.

if you want to learn to play songs by ear, your ear needs to be trained. the better it's trained, the easier of a time you'll have.

learn to listen. and i mean listen very actively. and sing. singing helps because it forces you to internalize the pitches (guitar and piano can't do that for you, really), which is the most important aspect of training your ear.

if you know/learn theory, it'll also make these things a lot easier.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
What Wolfie said^^

Just like learning a language, it all sounds fast gibberish in the beginning, but the more you listen to it, the more you hear individual words.

Drop the tabs and/or sheet music for a while, and just try to play songs.

You could do the hard way, which is pure forcing yourself.

You could also try a combination of improvising over songs and above method, which is arguably more fun, and will develop the same thing albeit slower.

Just put on the radio, or you're favourite playlist, and try to solo over it.

It will help you find keys (quickly) and develop a better ear overall.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
start with a very simple song and try to match notes. don't start with something that has a lot of runs in it or changes. it's best to train your ear slowly. there is also a program called the amazing slow downer. it allows you to slow down the tempo of the song as much as you want without changing the pitch. you could use this to slow down a song to give you more time to match the note.
Quote by xMarcosXMalicex
so ya, I need MAJOR help, I really want to learn how to play songs by ear, but I dont know any of the technics or anything, so please reply with tips

techniques for playing guitar, or for learning songs by ear?

For learning songs by ear:

press play.... listen.... figure out.

Start with easier songs. learn it in sections.

The more you do it, the better you get at it.

aside from that memorize your songs. Don't rely on tab. Always listen..... to every single note you play. Get to know them as sounds, and not just numbers on a page.

It takes time. It's a skill that needs to be developed through practice.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 26, 2011,
Quote by xMarcosXMalicex
so ya, I need help, I really want to learn how to play songs by ear, but I dont know any of the technics or anything, so please reply with tips

train your ear to become extremely familiar with intervals, just the distance between two individual notes. then go more broad and become familiar with chord types and modes, then when you hear a certain melody you can figure out what key it's in then once you've got that and you can recognize intervals it sort of just falls in place.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.