Well my brother is giving me his Ibanez that he doesnt use anymore, and im looking to buy a distortion and wah pedal. I have seen the Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby, because it has both distortion and wah, but apparently it only works with tube amps (in not sure what kind my bro's is).
I have a spending limit of about $300 for the two pedals combined. Any help is much appreciated.
Last edited by sauce3696 at Jul 26, 2011,
Vox classic wah. not sure about distortion. i think it depends on what kind of music you play and what you are looking for. there is some really crunchy stuff out there.
Quote by zenbone
Vox classic wah. not sure about distortion. i think it depends on what kind of music you play and what you are looking for. there is some really crunchy stuff out there.

For distortion, most for Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, and System of a Down.
The standard 1st Disto pedal would be the Boss DS-1. You can actually get some pretty good tones if you spend some time with it.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Also, if you guys could check to see if guitar center carries it, that would be nice. If they dont, just tell me and ill try and find it somewhere else.
The Vox classic Wah or the Plain old Original Dunlop crybaby wah will be fine for a beginner, and the Boss DS-1 is always a good first distortion pedal.

Incidentally, I've been using an SW-95 Wah for a couple of years now through three different solid state amps, and it works fine. I think you're misunderstanding its distortion circuit though. It's not a combination of a dist pedal and a wah, it's a wah that you can add distortion to. i.e. you have to have the wah effect engaged to turn the dist on.

Another option would be to get a multi effects unit.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by sauce3696
I have the Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby, because it has both distortion and wah, but apparently it only works with tube amps (in not sure what kind my bro's is).

?

Quote by gquady09
The standard 1st Disto pedal would be the Boss DS-1. You can actually get some pretty good tones if you spend some time with it.

with a soldering iron?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Grawgos
Hardwire TL-2 for distortion.
How about a decent amp for distortion..

What amp are you rocking out there Sauce? It makes a difference.. really.
A Peavey VYPYR 15 is a good amp as it has effect sbuilt into it and you can make distortion on it too.
Quote by LostLegion
A Peavey VYPYR 15 is a good amp as it has effect sbuilt into it and you can make distortion on it too.

In that case, don't buy a hardwire or anyother distortion pedal. Don't spend your 300, suffer with vyper a little longer while you save your money and buy a better amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
?

with a soldering iron?

Sorry that first one was an error, i fixed it. And I wont know what amp ill have until the next couple days, thats when my bro is bringing me his Ibanez and his amp, then il know.
not sure why it wouldn't work with a solid state amp. it might (probably would) sound better with a tube amp, but it's not that it "wouldn't work" with a solid state amp. As far as i'm aware, anyway.

no worries about the amp, but i wouldn't buy anything until you see what the amp is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not sure why it wouldn't work with a solid state amp. it might (probably would) sound better with a tube amp, but it's not that it "wouldn't work" with a solid state amp. As far as i'm aware, anyway.

no worries about the amp, but i wouldn't buy anything until you see what the amp is.

I should have the amp and guitar within the next couple days. But I think no matter what Im getting the Vox Classic Wah. Not sure about distortion, because the Boss DS-1 doesnt sound good for the type of metal i like.
depends on the amp... there are several ways you can get to metal levels of distortion, depending on what the amp is (and pedals). for example if you run a couple of lower gain pedals into each other you can often get a better tone than using one higher gain pedal (certainly on a budget).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What amp do you have? If it's a modeling amp, then forget the pedals, because they won't sound any good.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Ibanez TS-9... $89.99 - Good for low gain, creamy distortion, but great for a boost on already overdriven amps for a metal distortion.

Vox V847 Wah... $79.99 - Pretty much your basic great wah

Thats about $170ish and you still have $130 for another good pedal or you could use the money to mod the pedals you just bought.