Hey there UG,

My band have recently entered into a contest being held by the Australian website Triple J Unearthed. They are trying to find the best Australian high school band, and the winner gets to fly to Sydney to re-record their song, and gets to play a concert with the Living End!

I would really appreciate it if you guys could check out our original song that we recorded in my bedroom called 'October Chill'. The link is below:

http://www.triplejunearthed.com/Artists/View.aspx?artistid=47033

If you guys could rate and review it, it would be very helpful

Thanks guys!
Quote by Mx023
picture everyone naked with hot sauce being poured all over their body and then just think "i'm too good for hot sauce and all these naked people" then just do what comes naturally to you. it's all so simple
Last edited by Raptor94 at Jul 27, 2011,
Solid track dude, everything sounds great. The parts are really catchy and the song flows well. Kind of reminds of The Killers. The only thing I could think to critique you on would be to have more dynamics in the vocals. They're bad by any means, it would just add more to the song if you really belted out some parts. Good job.
Quote by doofus41
Solid track dude, everything sounds great. The parts are really catchy and the song flows well. Kind of reminds of The Killers. The only thing I could think to critique you on would be to have more dynamics in the vocals. They're bad by any means, it would just add more to the song if you really belted out some parts. Good job.

Thanks mate. Singing is not my strongpoint but I tried!
Quote by Mx023
picture everyone naked with hot sauce being poured all over their body and then just think "i'm too good for hot sauce and all these naked people" then just do what comes naturally to you. it's all so simple
Quote by naybnbyuwn
BRO
nice song, but the competition ended two days ago!

we actually got it in before the due date
Quote by Mx023
for some reason its not showing reviews on the site just yet :/
Quote by Mx023
nice! the playing was all pretty tight and worked well together. Guitar had some good old fashion post-rock riffs that i liked. You're drummers got talent, I really like the tight hi-hat sound, those were some damn near perfect beats, ya know, not playing too much or too little, and some creative fills. The bass was solid, and the vocals were pretty good, but i think maybe the last part where you're singing "leave it in the past tonight" or something like that would sound good if you really sang your heart out on it.

My thread if you wanna have a listen: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461290
Critting as I listen:
Awesome intro guitar riff
Your singing / lyrics reminds me of the arctic monkeys a little
vocals are a little nasally for me though
Guitar after the chorus is a great hook
I like the backup vocals

Are you a big Arctic Monkeys fan? This sounds a lot like them.
Overall I really like it, singer might not be perfect but he's workable.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465105
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
thanks a lot you two! yeah i think if we had more time we would have really tried to belt out the last line... and yes, huge arctic monkeys fans! wasnt really what we were going for but happy it turned out that way haha. i will be sure to check both your songs out
Quote by Mx023
Whereabouts in Perth are you kids from? I only just moved from there to Melbourne this year.
I'll log-in and leave a review and give you a bit more detailed feedback here.

Not a bad effort. Pretty damn tight rhythmically. The whole song doesn't get big enough by the end I think. It's kind of a bit meek. Starts out OK, but yeah, it doesn't develop. I like what you tried to do in the first half of the chorus but it doesn't really work. The second verse with the 16th notes is a very good move, but then you go back to that dropped back chorus.

So, yeah. Keep it up and say hi to the Rosemount for me when you're old enough. Also check out my old band Energy Commission and leave a rating. We're on there.
Quote by fleaflicker182
Whereabouts in Perth are you kids from? I only just moved from there to Melbourne this year.
I'll log-in and leave a review and give you a bit more detailed feedback here.

Not a bad effort. Pretty damn tight rhythmically. The whole song doesn't get big enough by the end I think. It's kind of a bit meek. Starts out OK, but yeah, it doesn't develop. I like what you tried to do in the first half of the chorus but it doesn't really work. The second verse with the 16th notes is a very good move, but then you go back to that dropped back chorus.

So, yeah. Keep it up and say hi to the Rosemount for me when you're old enough. Also check out my old band Energy Commission and leave a rating. We're on there.

thanks for the criticism. we go to school in churchlands!
Quote by Mx023
still looking for votes if you guys can help!
Quote by Mx023
Criting as i listen
Not a fan of the intro, seems lacking a bit, but i can see where your going
Vocals could do with a bit of increased range less mono
I like the lyrics, finally someone writes easy, true lyrics
i like the riff at 1.15
Drums could do with being louder
The song in general could benefit alot from some kinda of fast tempo section or maybe a solo

It does sound alot like Arctic monnkeys favourite worst nightmare album, all in all keep up the good work!